Confirmed with Link: 2021 Expansion Draft (Haydn Fleury selected from Anaheim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Just because we traded for Fleury isn't a guarantee we'll protect him. We traded Pettersson for Sprong and then waived Sprong the next year, and then traded him for Djoos and waived him this year. I don't think Fleury has looked anywhere as good as Djoos did last season and Sprong led us in goals after being acquired so Fleury will have to really impress to be protected imo.

Agreed. I think people are jumping to the conclusion that the Ducks will go with the 4 d 4 f option because Fleury was a top 10 draft pick. Fleury looks like a bland third pairing defenseman to me so far. I hope he proves me wrong.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think they’d take Max Jones.
I'm fine with that. Volkov can replace Jones spot as net front presence and he can PK.

Wouldn't mind losing Steel either because even if they have Zegras play on the wing the Center depth could be:
Henrique
Lundestrom
Getzlaf - signs new 1 year deal after draft.
Grant

Steel has to be one of the most boring Centers in the league.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It doesn’t have anything to do with shedding their salaries. Both of them are going to be here no matter what for the rest of their contracts unless they are bought out for some reason.

It’s about not wasting a protection spot for no reason
So Murray waiving Henrique had nothing to do with the term and value of his contract?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So Murray waiving Henrique had nothing to do with the term and value of his contract?
Did you notice that no one claimed him? That’s my point. He’s going to be a Duck for the next 3 years . We aren’t shedding that salary in any universe unless he is bought out.

So don’t protect him, and you “get” to keep him

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I’m willing to bet Murray protects Fleury; especially if he was a D Murray wanted back then.

I don’t know if he was on Murray’s radar and was taken too soon at 7 instead of being picked by the Ducks at 11.

But if Murray wanted him, he’ll keep him. That is the way most GM’s operate.

John

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
For ED gurus...

Can Seattle directly contact (interview) eligible players prior to the draft.

John

I don’t know the official answer, but I remember Vegas had a few of the drafted players there at the event come out in the Knight jerseys. So they obviously were able to talk to them before and fly them in for the draft.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
For ED gurus...

Can Seattle directly contact (interview) eligible players prior to the draft.

John
I doubt it, unless the team that owns the players rights permits it and it benefits them in some way. IE convinces Seattle to take a player the owning team would prefer.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think I’m on board with the 4-4 choice.

Fleury has proven more useful than Steel.

Lindholm-Fowler-Manson-Fleury
Rakell-Terry-Lundestrom-Jones

Let Seattle have Steel. I’m sure they are also evaluating Mahura, Volkov, Stolarz. Maybe even Shatt or Henrique if we are lucky.

I think the ship has sailed with Steel. Rather see Groulx get a shot at the big club he has earned it.

But those 4 forwards are who you want to keep, they have all played well. Wouldn’t mind giving Volkov a full season but if he is picked by Seattle not the end of the world.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Lindholm/Fowler/Manson/Fleury
Rankell/Lundestrom/Terry

Then we need to pick Jones, Steel or Volkov. I think Steel is the most valuable so he should be protected. Jones is a 3rd liner at best and Volkov is decent but replaceable.

This would mean they likely choose Jones/Volkov/Stolarz
Or they take an overpaid veteran Henrique/Silfverberg

Hopefully they dont take Stolarz but its who I would choose.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If Bob ends up deciding to take a D with our top 4 pick he really needs to move Manson at the draft. That would immediately uncomplicate our protection lists. Then you go 7-3-1 and maybe even offer Seattle a 2nd+ to take Silf/Henrique. If they don't then they choose between Stolarz and Mahura in all likelihood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2noone

wraparound

May 17, 2014
If Bob is ends up deciding to take a D with our top 4 pick he really needs to move Manson at the draft. That would immediately uncomplicate our protection lists. Then you go 7-3-1 and maybe even offer Seattle a 2nd+ to take Silf/Henrique. If they don't then they choose between Stolarz and Mahura in all likelihood.
The expansion draft is just a few days before the entry draft, but I get where you’re coming from. I’d say targeting another dynamic, play-driving forward should be their priority but they absolutely should expose Fowler; protecting Lindholm-Fleury-Manson, IMO. Highly doubt Seattle takes him given his age/contract/injury history, etc. but if they *did* that would be the easiest way to get off the hook for $6.5mil over the next 5 years.
If Fowler comes out the other side a Duck, you focus on flipping Lindholm for a solid return (high end F prospect, picks).

Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I protect Steel over Jones every day of the week personally. Jones is more unique but I see more upside in Steel even if he’s plateaud a bit.
Steel def seems like one of those guys that would get picked by Seattle and turn his career around

I kinda hope bob try’s to get them to take heinen or Milano... maybe shatt/Henrique but I feel like it may cost a bit to get em to take 1 of them

Reactions: Paul4587

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The expansion draft is just a few days before the entry draft, but I get where you’re coming from. I’d say targeting another dynamic, play-driving forward should be their priority but they absolutely should expose Fowler; protecting Lindholm-Fleury-Manson, IMO. Highly doubt Seattle takes him given his age/contract/injury history, etc. but if they *did* that would be the easiest way to get off the hook for $6.5mil over the next 5 years.
If Fowler comes out the other side a Duck, you focus on flipping Lindholm for a solid return (high end F prospect, picks).
What kind of nonsense is this.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Seattle takes Fowler and runs. They have to take on 50 mil in cap. Fowler would almost certainly be the best defensemen available.
Fowler does not have a bad contract. It is market, or maybe 1 mil too high at most.

Then the only defensemen the Ducks have signed past next season is Kevin f***ing Shattenkirk. Do you really want to risk losing Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson all in 12 months?

Edit: Also why would the be looking to move Fowler or Lindholm? If they move either they will instantly be looking for a replacement. Fleury is not going to replace Lindholm and do you really want Fleury to be their best LHD when Lindholm inevitably gets hurt?

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
There's even cap space for both and our young D in the future. Our really talented prospects have only started their ELCs, so we're two years removed from them getting massive raises as well. Plenty of time to hold on to what we've got now. If moves become necessary later down the line, then you start thinking about moving a guy or two, not before.

Getting rid of either Fowler or Hampus would set us back even further, it makes absolutely no sense.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was thinking about this last night, I was wondering, with Adam Henrique. He has been able to play the last couple of games since being out of Covid Protocol, but has been healthy scratched. The team has looked much better and giving a lot of effort even in the games they lost. I am wondering, will Bob make a deal with Seattle to take Henrique. I have this feeling after being waived it obviously has not sit well with him, and maybe he is now on borrowed time playing on this team, and if they cannot trade him, Bob may send an asset to Seattle for them to pick Henrique. They are going to need to hit their cap floor. So, makes sense. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Was thinking about this last night, I was wondering, with Adam Henrique. He has been able to play the last couple of games since being out of Covid Protocol, but has been healthy scratched. The team has looked much better and giving a lot of effort even in the games they lost. I am wondering, will Bob make a deal with Seattle to take Henrique. I have this feeling after being waived it obviously has not sit well with him, and maybe he is now on borrowed time playing on this team, and if they cannot trade him, Bob may send an asset to Seattle for them to pick Henrique. They are going to need to hit their cap floor. So, makes sense. Any thoughts?

Personally not a fan of that given that the asset would probably have to be somewhat significant for Seattle to bite on it. Leave Henrique exposed and Seattle may take him anyway for the reasons you mentioned. If I'm BM I would go 8-1:
Rakell
Lundestrom
Terry
Jones
Fowler
Manson
Lindholm
Fleury

Gibson

That assumes no trades before the ED. And yes, I'd expose Steel...I just haven't seen the growth to project him as a valuable piece of the puzzle going forward.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
What’s the price everyone is comfortable with getting rid of either Henrique, Silfverberg, & Shattenkirk? I’d be upset if it’s anything higher than a 3rd round pick, but even a 3rd seems a little rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad