Confirmed with Link: 2021 Expansion Draft (Haydn Fleury selected from Anaheim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'd leave that spot empty before I would protect him.
well that's just stupid since you can't just do that.

Fowler and Silf can both be left unprotected IMO.
the only two defensemen worth protecting is Lindholm and Fowler at this point. it would be an absolutely stupid move to just let Fowler go because he's not some elite #1 D that everyone wants him to be.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

the only two defensemen worth protecting is Lindholm and Fowler at this point. it would be an absolutely stupid move to just let Fowler go because he's not some elite #1 D that everyone wants him to be.
Well no shit, my point was Silf is not worth protecting he's been one of our least impactful players all year.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

I can think of 52 million reasons why for 5 more years.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Right now Rakell, Terry, and Lundestrom are locks to be protected. I really don’t see any of our other eligible young forwards even close to some of the young forwards Vegas selected.

Depending on who is available from other teams, Seattle might not want one of our kid forwards. Their stats are not exactly setting the league on fire and I’m not sure how much real upside is there.

And I think they need to hit 60% of the cap. Who know they might take Stollarz, though I kind of doubt that.

John

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Well no shit, my point was Silf is not worth protecting he's been one of our least impactful players all year.

Doesn’t matter really. Still a good leader for the kids. Still better off protecting him than not.

I can think of 52 million reasons why for 5 more years.

cool i guess you’d be fine with a d core of only consisting of lindholm, dry, Shattenkirk, and an aging manson that will almost certainly have a bad contract if we keep him. Oh boy could you imagine what this d core would look like if Fowler got taken so we get no assets in return AND then lose Lindholm to free agency. It’d be a total disaster but you’d be ok because Fowler is no longer here.

your hate with him is about as bad Dirk’s hate for any none physical hockey player lol

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Doesn’t matter really. Still a good leader for the kids. Still better off protecting him than not.

cool i guess you’d be fine with a d core of only consisting of lindholm, dry, Shattenkirk, and an aging manson that will almost certainly have a bad contract if we keep him. Oh boy could you imagine what this d core would look like if Fowler got taken so we get no assets in return AND then lose Lindholm to free agency. It’d be a total disaster but you’d be ok because Fowler is no longer here.

your hate with him is about as bad Dirk’s hate for any none physical hockey player lol
To be fair im not sure how many teams will "pay" to get fowler.... the teams that can use him likely arnt going to give us anything great, other than a bad contract.

Its weird that people act like fowler has some redeeming qualities... like "you dont want to see this team without fowler"... prob looks essentially the same. Then you have the fans here that want fowler to be the captain.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
To be fair im not sure how many teams will "pay" to get fowler.... the teams that can use him likely arnt going to give us anything great, other than a bad contract.

Its weird that people act like fowler has some redeeming qualities... like "you dont want to see this team without fowler"... prob looks essentially the same. Then you have the fans here that want fowler to be the captain.
I think Fowler is good as a Alternate but not as captain. Would not be fun seeing him set the example for his teammates by being extremely soft.
The same way i don't see Terry being a leadership candidate either as he's the Winger version of Fowler, a bit too soft and not much swagger.
Both seem like extremely nice guys, maybe too nice ?

If there were an interim captain at some point it probably goes to Manson or Silf.
Hopefully eventually it is Zegras as Captain with Drysdale as an alternate and Fowler or Lindholm as the 2nd alternate.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

The asset we get is flexibility and out of the last 5 years of the deal obviously....plus that NTC.....yikes.

Lindholm Drysdale
Fleury Manson
Pick and choose (Larsson, Mahura, or even someone new if you wanted to) Shattenkirk

Spend Fowlers money on a forward, or 2 forwards.

Reactions: Deuce22

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Mixed bag
Gotta think Silfv ,Rakell, Manson and Fowler have some value somewhere

even with expansion draft we aren’t in a position to just give away a legit nhl player to petite cr any maybes

Saying that, cap room is an asset too

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Mixed bag
Gotta think Silfv ,Rakell, Manson and Fowler have some value somewhere

even with expansion draft we aren’t in a position to just give away a legit nhl player to petite cr any maybes

Saying that, cap room is an asset too
I don't think Fowler has much value overall if you consider his NTC...6.5 cap hit for 5 more years.... maybe who knows, the only person I can see him having decent value to is a new org like Seattle.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Protect:

F: Rakell, Silfverberg, Steel, Jones, Lundestrom, Terry, and Volkov

Get whatever anyone wants to pay for Heinen before the expansion draft if we can. Continue to shop Rakell, and if we get someone to meet our asking price, Milano takes his spot.

D: Fowler, Lindholm, Manson

Like Rakell, continue to shop Manson and if someone pays our asking price, Fleury takes his spot.

G: Gibson

Personally, Steel is still ahead of Jones for me. Jones is a fourth liner and I don't see his scoring touch developing. Also a little disappointed he's not more physical given his rep coming up. Even if he's just a fourth liner, I'd rather have Steel than Jones due to position/faceoff.

IUnless Manson or Rakell is traded, I think it comes down to Jones v. Fleury. And if they prize Fleury, I could actually see them do a 4x4

Rakell, Steel, Lundesrom, Terry (if Rakell is traded, you can swap in either Henrique, Silf or Volkov)

Manson, Hampus, Fowler and Fleury

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Any asset is better than no asset. He’s not a cap dump type of value. He probably doesn’t get moved for various reasons, NTC mostly. Still better to keep him than let him be taken for nothing.

Are actually suggesting Fowler has no good qualities for this team? LOL ridiculous. Also i haven’t seen a single person suggest he should be the captain. But let’s ignore the fact that a captain doesn’t have to be an elite player and that skill on the ice isnt the only metric for who teams decide are captains.

The asset we get is flexibility and out of the last 5 years of the deal obviously....plus that NTC.....yikes.

Lindholm Drysdale
Fleury Manson
Pick and choose (Larsson, Mahura, or even someone new if you wanted to) Shattenkirk

Spend Fowlers money on a forward, or 2 forwards.

flexibility for what exactly? No one on this team is deserving of some massive raise right now. Guys like Dry might be due one in a few years but we’ll have plenty of money for that by then. And it’s not like we’re ever in contention for elite FA; who if we’re gonna be honest get absolutely over paid every free agency anyway.

Fowler’s contract is hardly some albatross contract that’s preventing us from doing anything important.

Reactions: Static

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If the Ducks protect the guy they put on waivers, I’ll become a Coyotes fan.

John

Fair point except Henrique has played much better since then. But I think you're right they don't need to protect him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think one of Rakell or Manson will be traded prior to expansion. However if they aren’t, it will depend on how Fleury looks.

If he plays well I say go the 4D route: protected: Rakell, Terry, Lundestrom, Jones, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Fleury, and Gibson. If we go this route my guess is we lose Silfverberg or Steel. Neither would be ideal but it’s bearable.

if he doesn’t play that well, I say protect only 3 D: protected: Rakell, Terry, Lundestrom, Jones, Silfverberg, Steel, Volkov, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, and Gibson. If we go this route my guess is we lose Mahura or Fleury.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Any asset is better than no asset. He’s not a cap dump type of value. He probably doesn’t get moved for various reasons, NTC mostly. Still better to keep him than let him be taken for nothing.

Are actually suggesting Fowler has no good qualities for this team? LOL ridiculous. Also i haven’t seen a single person suggest he should be the captain. But let’s ignore the fact that a captain doesn’t have to be an elite player and that skill on the ice isnt the only metric for who teams decide are captains.

flexibility for what exactly? No one on this team is deserving of some massive raise right now. Guys like Dry might be due one in a few years but we’ll have plenty of money for that by then. And it’s not like we’re ever in contention for elite FA; who if we’re gonna be honest get absolutely over paid every free agency anyway.

Fowler’s contract is hardly some albatross contract that’s preventing us from doing anything important.
Yeah, exactly. Flexibility from the oodles of cap space we are about to run into? I'd rather keep our second best defenseman.

Reactions: Duck Off and dracom

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Fair point except Henrique has played much better since then. But I think you're right they don't need to protect him.

He is playing better. I just thought it sounded funny, almost a Ducklike move.

No one knows who Seattle will take, although I’m sure GM’s will have agreements with Seattle going into the ED.

Depending on what and where you read it, Henrique might be selected. Even moving Fleury may have been a move so the Hurricanes wouldn’t lose him for nothing.

I guessing 4-4-1 would protect our D and give Fleury a full season next year to see how he does.

John

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Can't imagine BM exposing Fowler or Silfverberg. Maybe Henrique. Seattle will probably hurt more for quality forwards (especially centers) than for defensemen. I'm excited to see Fleury, but if Seattle ends up with him in the end all it cost Anaheim at the end of the day was a 6th + Hawk (compared to last expansion, that's much better). Doubt BM goes 4-4, it just doesn't seem in him to expose that many forwards.

I'm praying Seattle wants Shattenkirk. Something something cup experience, something PP quarterback, something.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I would much rather expose Silfverberg and Henrique then Fowler.
Fowler Shatty and Drysdale are the only defensemen signed past next season. Lets just think of the worst case scenario...

Cam gets claimed in the ED.
Hampus and Manson both leave/get traded.

Yikes.

Reactions: duckpuck

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I would much rather expose Silfverberg and Henrique then Fowler.
Fowler Shatty and Drysdale are the only defensemen signed past next season. Lets just think of the worst case scenario...

Cam gets claimed in the ED.
Hampus and Manson both leave/get traded.

Yikes.

Cam's uneven and soft play is incredibly frustrating. But he's a good 3/4, in his prime, and his contract is actually not that bad. A bit of an overpayment and the NMC is problematic. But the contract will look better in 2-3 years when the cap goes up and AAVs do as well.

In terms of age and production, the Silf and Henrique contracts are much worse than Fowler's.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad