2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Sucks to lose Dunn, especially without anything in return. The best time to trade him would have been before or during last season, or maybe even the season before that.

I'm also certain that the Blues did their due diligence and ultimately viewed the opportunity cost of trading him then as not worth the potential return at that point in time.

It seems to me they have a very high opinion on Perunovich, and they must've felt that last offseason whatever they could have gotten for Dunn was less valuable than one more season of Dunn plus delaying Perunovich's debut and RFA/UFA eligibility by one year. As it stands, they must feel like they have a guy who will be just as productive as Dunn on a lower cap hit for the next several years, and someone who will hit UFA just as Krug's contract expires (provided the CBA doesn't change). I think they also feel like Perunovich will be a part of the team's leadership group in the future who will wear at least an A in the future, whereas Dunn wasn't.

Time will tell if these were good judgments, and I'm not someone who really likes having two small guys on defense (especially on the same side of the ice), but some teams like Boston have been able to make it work.
Why on earth would they peg Perunovich as a future leader when they have made it abundantly clear that Krug is a core piece of the team for the next 6 years?

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Why on earth would they peg Perunovich as a future leader when they have made it abundantly clear that Krug is a core piece of the team for the next 6 years?

Because most, if not all, franchises take this into account when evaluating players. Perunovich will be 28 and hitting UFA right when the Krug deal expires. I think they like him enough as a personality that they can perceive him spending his whole career here. The front office has showered him with praise in ways that they seldom have for a prospect, let alone Vince Dunn.

"We hope [Perunovich is] our Torey Krug," Blues director of player development and pro scout Tim Taylor said of the Boston Bruins defenseman. "With the size is the first thing, but his skating ability, the way he thinks the game, he competes.
"We see that he's a real good puck-moving defenseman. He just didn't feel he was at the top of his game. He battled through a back injury. He just didn't feel he had the same season as prior, so he wanted to come out when he was feeling that he could adjust to the pro level right away. There wasn't nothing other than he just wants to make sure he was ready mentally and physically."

Seems to me like the Blues want a Torey Krug-type on their roster long into the future. And, for the foreseeable future, they want to have two.

Like I said before, I have no idea if this is the best decision and I have my own doubts. I can at least understand the logic.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
losing dunn is hardly the end of the world. guy is a turnover machine and a liability on defense. he can put up some points but so can Krug and I think Krug is better defensively. him and krug on the same team was too much. I would have exposed Krug over him simply because of salary. I am glad they did not pick Tarasenko and hope he remains here and gets over his issues with the team and just plays hockey.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I love how you say this concretely in spite of there being no evidence to support you. Seattle took no player with more then 4 years left on there contract, and only took one player making over 6 million. And that player is Giordano, who is one the last year of that contract and is rumored to be on the move to New York before the end of the night. What about Krug makes you think he is that valuable to both those trends?
Well, like everything else that seems to violate your world of absolutes, we’ll never know because the Blues were smart enough not to leave him exposed. I doubt Seattle will select a defenseman that is smaller than him, but they also won’t be drafting anyone with his combination of skill and grit on the blueline that is in the middle of their prime. Why not? Because actual NHL GMs don’t generally make those kind of mistakes.

I guess if you want to be a poster who gleefully proliferates the idea that he was awful last year and we missed an opportunity to dump an albatross of a contract you go right ahead, but I assure you that any head coach or pro scout worth their salt would be camped out in their GMs office until they were sure that this was going to be the player selected as soon as he was made available.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
It sucks that no matter what, the Blues were going to lose a good player today.

But at least we aren't the Blackhawks, where Seattle looked at their whole roster and said "naaaah..."

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
losing dunn is hardly the end of the world. guy is a turnover machine and a liability on defense. he can put up some points but so can Krug and I think Krug is better defensively. him and krug on the same team was too much. I would have exposed Krug over him simply because of salary. I am glad they did not pick Tarasenko and hope he remains here and gets over his issues with the team and just plays hockey.

My totally unfounded galaxy brain suggestion: For all we know, maybe they want Tarasenko to just get over it and play for us. So much so that they exposed Dunn instead of Krug knowing that the Krak would take him instead. Tarasenko says "gosh they couldn't even trade me and while retaining salary" and comes around to playing for us again. With fans in the stands, he falls back in love with StL and forgets the whole thing. The ghost of Walt Disney emerges under the arch, winking and smiling happily.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
My totally unfounded galaxy brain suggestion: For all we know, maybe they want Tarasenko to just get over it and play for us. So much so that they exposed Dunn instead of Krug knowing that the Krak would take him instead. Tarasenko says "gosh they couldn't even trade me and while retaining salary" and comes around to playing for us again. With fans in the stands, he falls back in love with StL and forgets the whole thing. The ghost of Walt Disney emerges under the arch, winking and smiling happily.
Don't over think it.

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Even Walt Disney bailed on St. Louis when he took his Disney World concept to Florida instead.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Weird that Seattle has avoided any big contract or any player over 29 like the plague, and then take Giordano. He's still good, but at 37 he could retire at any time if he doesn't like Seattle.

Sucks we lost Dunn, but hopefully we could get something out of Tarasenko in trade.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
still ridiculous that vegas is not in this draft. 4 years in the league and they cant give up ONE player? give me a break. spoiled brat franchise of the NHL

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad