2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

The 2017 draft schedule was similar to this one with one day between the announcement of ED selections and the Entry Draft.

Vegas added seven additional players and acquired at least 10 draft picks. I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see how different Seattle's approach is to Vegas'.

Maybe it won't be so different after all.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Huge defensive liability Vince Dunn's shots against, xGA, and GA rates relative to team average over the last 3 years:

18-19
CA/60xGA/60GA/60
Dunn49.51.981.99
Team Avg.52.72.072.21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
19-20
CA/60xGA/60GA/60
Dunn45.62.031.89
Team Avg.49.92.162.05
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
20-21
CA/60xGA/60GA/60
Dunn51.92.12.34
Team Avg.54.12.292.41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Now do his usage, you're almost there...

Best of luck to Vince in Seattle or wherever he ends up, always liked him as a player. Wouldn't be upset to see him flourish in a different system, but I don't think we was ever going to reach his fullest potential here. Just didn't seem to be a great fit.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I hear you on this, but I kinda like their apparently-cautious approach. Seattle has seemingly been more calculating and thoughtful and taking it slow, unlike Vegas who wheeled and dealed and came on like gang busters.

Not that Vegas' approach hasn't paid off; it has in spades. But Seattle appears to be doing their ED in a much different manner.

The flat cap and the pandemic are certainly two variables that didn't exist in the 2017 ED and have forced Seattle to conduct their business with a more cautious approach.

IDK, just my speculation, I guess.
I think it is a reflection too of the difference in ownership. Bill Foley is very much a win now at all costs type, and from what I've heard, very hands on. That's partially I think why Gallant got fired and replaced with a slight dip in the standings.

Seattle it seems wants to build over time, of course they want to win as all teams do. But they seem to have taken a young team with guys who have high potential, I think they'll be competitive but not the high flying, Stanley Cup Final appearance we've seen from Vegas.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Really liked Dunn and will miss his impact from the back end. His skating and puck moving were great assets for the Blues, hopefully Walman will continue to progress and can fill that void moving forward. I don't have much hopes for Mikkola being an impact defenseman and Perunovich is coming back from a season long injury.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Now do his usage
Sure

OZ%NZ%DZ%On the Fly%
18-1915.416860.7
19-201415.48.462.2
20-211315.68.762.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If you want to dismiss him having above average defensive stats across the board because of an extra OZ start or two a game that's your prerogative.

Reactions: 542365

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
So basically no defensive zone starts and easy qoc. Got it.
This year Scandella had the highest DZ start rate on our team at 9.65 per 60. Dunn was at 7.01. For simplicity we'll just say they're playing 20 5v5 minutes a night. That's about one extra DZ start a game for our top guy compared to Dunn. He's also fared very well against what Puck IQ defines as "elite" competition, though he hasn't had as much usage against the "elite" competition as other Blues defenseman, but that's a coaching decision.

Reactions: The Note

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What if Seattle trade Dunn now and get nice return, better what Tarasenko would get. Love if Francis shows first days to Army how things are handled.

I like how Seattle is building team. This is just start.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
still ridiculous that vegas is not in this draft. 4 years in the league and they cant give up ONE player? give me a break. spoiled brat franchise of the NHL

Agreed. Although at least this way Vegas doesn't get any cap relief from it.

Everyone says this but neglects to mention that Vegas also doesn’t get a cut of the $650 million expansion fee. It’s a deal they agreed to when they entered the league.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Sure

OZ%NZ%DZ%On the Fly%
18-1915.416860.7
19-201415.48.462.2
20-211315.68.762.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If you want to dismiss him having above average defensive stats across the board because of an extra OZ start or two a game that's your prerogative.

I would assume these numbers wouldn't look so good if he was consistently going up against the other team's top line, but we all know that's not the case. He can be a useful player but would get eaten alive against top competition.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I would assume these numbers wouldn't look so good if he was consistently going up against the other team's top line, but we all know that's not the case. He can be a useful player but would get eaten alive against top competition.
This is akin to bitching about how Tarasenko doesn’t kill penalties. It’s not what he’s paid to do. He’s paid to generate offense from the backend and provide solid defense when he’s out there, and he’s damn good at it.

Reactions: Thallis

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm still not convinced you are a Blues fan :sarcasm:
38e9bf49e1debb87bf901168c980a7bc.gif

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would you take a top 20 pick for Tarasenko with 2 mill per year retained?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Would you take a top 20 pick for Tarasenko with 2 mill per year retained?
This draft? No. Next draft? Maybe, but probably not.

I'm pretty comfortable letting this drag out into the season though. I think Tarasenko bounces back to be a 25 goal guy and I don't want to trade him at his absolute lowest value. I don't think we are legit contenders next year, so I'm comfortable making that gamble even if it means the team isn't as good as it can be in 2021/22. I think there is also long-term organizational value in demonstrating that I'm not going to allow agents/players to force me into a trade at the expense of my team.

I'd take a top 20 pick for him with no salary retained, but I honestly think I could do better 3-4 months from now if I have to eat $2M a year.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
This draft? No. Next draft? Maybe, but probably not.

I'm pretty comfortable letting this drag out into the season though. I think Tarasenko bounces back to be a 25 goal guy and I don't want to trade him at his absolute lowest value. I don't think we are legit contenders next year, so I'm comfortable making that gamble even if it means the team isn't as good as it can be in 2021/22. I think there is also long-term organizational value in demonstrating that I'm not going to allow agents/players to force me into a trade at the expense of my team.

I'd take a top 20 pick for him with no salary retained, but I honestly think I could do better 3-4 months from now if I have to eat $2M a year.

I still think this is just begging for a Dubois situation with Columbus, with Tarasenko either being healthy scratched or “playing” with zero intensity. Gut feeling.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I still think this is just begging for a Dubois situation with Columbus, with Tarasenko either being healthy scratched or “playing” with zero intensity. Gut feeling.
And in the face of that situation Columbus got a hell of a lot better of a return than a mid-late 1st round pick while having to eat $4M over 2 years. I didn't hear any reports that Columbus ever received a better offer than Laine and then had to settle for a reduced offer once Dubois looked disinterested to start the year. I'm content playing chicken with Tarasenko on this because he is going to destroy his career if he wants to phone it in and not try.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
And in the face of that situation Columbus got a hell of a lot better of a return than a mid-late 1st round pick while having to eat $4M over 2 years. I didn't hear any reports that Columbus ever received a better offer than Laine and then had to settle for a reduced offer once Dubois looked disinterested to start the year. I'm content playing chicken with Tarasenko on this because he is going to destroy his career if he wants to phone it in and not try.
Columbus got nice return but destroyed their season and now forced to deal Seth Jones. Not sure that is outcome we want to aim for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->