2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Weird that Seattle has avoided any big contract or any player over 29 like the plague, and then take Giordano. He's still good, but at 37 he could retire at any time if he doesn't like Seattle.

Sucks we lost Dunn, but hopefully we could get something out of Tarasenko in trade.
Giordano is on the last year of his contract I believe.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
After seeing the Kraken's picks, fair to say Krug would have been safe being exposed.

Yeah, Krug *probably* would not have been picked in hindsight. I could see it happening, they might want a good leadership PP QB and be comfortable taking someone at that term and value. Giordano is likely to be traded right away, so they might want that especially to attract FA forwards who can score.

But it's impossible to overlook how bad of a move that would be for the franchise regarding attracting UFAs, especially in light of our no NMC stance. Sure hope the no NMC policy doesn't cost us Landeskog.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, Krug *probably* would not have been picked in hindsight. I could see it happening, they might want a good leadership PP QB and be comfortable taking someone at that term and value. Giordano is likely to be traded right away, so they might want that especially to attract FA forwards who can score.

But it's impossible to overlook how bad of a move that would be for the franchise regarding attracting UFAs, especially in light of our no NMC stance. Sure hope the no NMC policy doesn't cost us Landeskog.
Why would we want Landeskog at 9 or 10million a year? I would rather have signed Petro for that absurd money total than landeskog.

I think if the Blues want to improve their roster, they are gonna need to go the trade market to find what we want and I think Tkachuk is the piece to target if Eichel cannot be obtained.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Giordano is on the last year of his contract I believe.

The rumors are that he's getting traded (along with several other newly minted Krakens) in the next few days. They may have a challenge just hitting the cap floor.

Reactions: mk80

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
With Gio, Oleksiak, Dunn, Soucey, Lauzon, Chowlowski, and Fleury all as LHS D, plus Larson, Vince Dunn may get moved. They have more than enough NHL D, plus some young guys they probably want to leave a spot to grow. I'd want to bring in some more NHL quality RHD, but I am picky about handedness. Either way, someone is probably getting moved. They probably aren't trading Gio, Oleksiak or Larsson. So that leaves less room for Dunn.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Kraken made no side deals? Wow. This is so strange. Figured they would want to load up on some picks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Dunn just isn’t that special. I don’t know why people are so upset about losing him.

Yeah his analytics. I get it.

Rumors are that teams were only offering a 3rd for him. When you actually watch him play defense, your interest in him decreases. He doesn’t pass the eye test in that regard. I don’t think he’s that valuable or highly regarded. He’s pretty mediocre.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Kraken made no side deals? Wow. This is so strange. Figured they would want to load up on some picks.
I think Francis negotiated himself out of those deals, with the price he was placing on any potential trade.

Maybe some trades will be announced tomorrow because some of these picks were absolute head scratchers with no compensation being returned.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
dissapointed.gif

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Dunn just isn’t that special. I don’t know why people are so upset about losing him.

Rumors are that teams were only offering a 3rd for him. When you actually watch him play defense, your interest in him decreases. He doesn’t pass the eye test in that regard. I don’t think he’s that valuable or highly regarded. He’s pretty mediocre.
Every team needs one D-man like him and the Blues had 2 but I agree with this. He was putrid on D a few years ago and has slightly gotten better but hes still a major liability back there.

Remember in the bubble how awful he looked vs Vancouver? That is the risk you have with him back there

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Why would we want Landeskog at 9 or 10million a year? I would rather have signed Petro for that absurd money total than landeskog.

I think if the Blues want to improve their roster, they are gonna need to go the trade market to find what we want and I think Tkachuk is the piece to target if Eichel cannot be obtained.

The Blues aren't paying that much and any other team offering that much is just bidding against themselves. Avs offered him 8 years at 5.125 per. No way we break the salary structure for him, 7.5 is the max.

I'd welcome a reasonable Tkachuck trade but part of me thinks the Blues are already maneuvering to have cap space for him when he hits UFA. Eichel might be had for a reasonable offer but there's no way Buffalo trades a blockbuster with us again after what happened with O'Reilly.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Every team needs one D-man like him and the Blues had 2 but I agree with this. He was putrid on D a few years ago and has slightly gotten better but hes still a major liability back there.

Remember in the bubble how awful he looked vs Vancouver? That is the risk you have with him back there
Recovering post COVID? I don't hold that against him. Dunn was never really given the opportunity to sink or swim here. If Seattle keeps him, which there is no guarantee that they will looking at all of their selections, and gives him a prominent role, I expect him to become a star player.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Recovering post COVID? I don't hold that against him. Dunn was never really given the opportunity to sink or swim here. If Seattle keeps him, which there is no guarantee that they will looking at all of their selections, and gives him a prominent role, I expect him to become a star player.
He will never be a star player.

He will never even hit Kevin Shattenkirk levels.

He is a good player who can help produce offensively but he needs to play with a D-man who can help cover up his defensive flaws.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You don't know that. I would say that the Kracken, may have taken Krug. They seem to have made the back end a priority while they seemed to have ignored the forwards - which is crazy to me. They could have had a solid roster.

There are more than a few fans here pissing and moaning about losing Dunn would have been doing the exact same thing had we lost Tarasenko.

The Kracken had a LOT of defencemen to choose from that fit their short and long-term needs with an ideal mix of cap hits. It was better for them to fill out their entire roster with the D-Men they want, and then fill out their forwards roster through trades and free agent acquisitions which will have what they want and need in the way of forwards more available.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'm glad this shit is over.

I hate expansion drafts.

Good luck Seattle. I lived there for many years. Still have friends there who a new Kraken fans. I hope the Blues smoke 'em when they meet.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
They better sign some impact forwards or trade for some dumps with additional firsts, cause to come out of this with that roster AND no side deals looks pretty rough. That roster looks pretty trash thus far.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019

If I am to borrow terms from basketball, Dunn's great in transition but he's mediocre in halfcourt offense and defense. Any time the puck spends more than 20 seconds in his zone or the opponent's zone, he starts to struggle. He struggled as a PP QB for precisely this reason. When people are set up positionally, he has a hard time knowing what to do. He also is subpar at keeping the puck in the offensive zone when he's tasked to guard the blue line on the PP.

Can he be a 50-60 point player in a transition oriented offense? Yes! Put him on Edmonton and he'll look elite as a point producer, though a huge minus player like Fabbri in Detroit. I think the Blues did a really good job utilizing his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses during his career.

I like him as a player and I'm not happy he's gone. It's entirely possible that things click for him and he becomes a better halfcourt player, especially on offense. Best of luck to Vince, I've always been a fan and will remain one as long as you aren't playing the Blues.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I hear you on this, but I kinda like their apparently-cautious approach. Seattle has seemingly been more calculating and thoughtful and taking it slow, unlike Vegas who wheeled and dealed and came on like gang busters.

Not that Vegas' approach hasn't paid off; it has in spades. But Seattle appears to be doing their ED in a much different manner.

The flat cap and the pandemic are certainly two variables that didn't exist in the 2017 ED and have forced Seattle to conduct their business with a more cautious approach.

IDK, just my speculation, I guess.

Anywho......don't mind losing Dunn.

We have Faulk and Krug. Now DA is forced to do what is needed. Acquire stay-at-home defensemen. Who? I don't f***ing know.

Reactions: execwrite1 and mk80

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
They better sign some impact forwards or trade for some dumps with additional firsts, cause to come out of this with that roster AND no side deals looks pretty rough. That roster looks pretty trash thus far.

They will be making some trades and some signings. I think Schwartz has a good chance of winding up there, for one. They are going to hit FA hard this year and next.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Totally agree. He's just a decent player, but he does have some moxie. I'll give that to him.

Reactions: execwrite1

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Huge defensive liability Vince Dunn's shots against, xGA, and GA rates relative to team average over the last 3 years:

18-19
CA/60xGA/60GA/60
Dunn49.51.981.99
Team Avg.52.72.072.21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
19-20
CA/60xGA/60GA/60
Dunn45.62.031.89
Team Avg.49.92.162.05
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
20-21
CA/60xGA/60GA/60