2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This is akin to bitching about how Tarasenko doesn’t kill penalties. It’s not what he’s paid to do. He’s paid to generate offense from the backend and provide solid defense when he’s out there, and he’s damn good at it.

If that's the case then why don't fans get off Krug's back? You could make the exact same argument for him except he was asked to shoulder a much bigger load than Dunn.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If that's the case then why don't fans get off Krug's back? You could make the exact same argument for him except he was asked to shoulder a much bigger load than Dunn.

Dunn made 28% as much as Krug did. Dunn had no security on a one-year deal, not a 7 year deal Krug had. Bigger contracts come with bigger expectations. If you make $6.5M a year as a defenseman, you cannot be a little gnat that is completely ignored trying to defend forwards at the net. Actually, I should rephrase that. Krug proved you can make that much and be completely worthless defensively. What I meant to say is that you can't do that and not have fans complain about it.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
A couple days later I still can’t believe how badly I think Seattle bungled the draft. There’s like 4 or 5 players where I said “wow that was a smart pick.”

McCann, Gourde, and Jarnkrok are the only forwards that really stood out to me.

They did do a decent job with the goalies though.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Columbus got nice return but destroyed their season and now forced to deal Seth Jones. Not sure that is outcome we want to aim for.

Who was picking the Jackets to have a good season after Dubois requested a trade?

I vehemently disagree that moving Dubois 5 games into the season instead of the moment he requested a trade destroyed their season. I don't think it caused a Werenski injury and I don't think it caused both of their young goalies to have step-back seasons after being incredible surprises the year before. I don't think that their season turns out any different if they had moved Dubois 2 weeks earlier. And given the now-long pattern of guys leaving Columbus (Panarin, Bob, Duchene, Dubois, and now Jones in a 2 year window), I have an extremely difficult time saying that Dubois pouting in the locker room for 2 weeks and then getting traded impacted Seth Jones' decision.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
A couple days later I still can’t believe how badly I think Seattle bungled the draft. There’s like 4 or 5 players where I said “wow that was a smart pick.”

Is there a chance Seattle and the league hasn't announced some trades yet and are waiting to do it tonight at the draft? Or are they going to sign a few big fish UFA's? They didn't save that much capspave to leave it untouched. I mean, this can't be it right? If they were planning on using that cap to get some bad contracts for picks, Arizona is way ahead of them. If this was 'it' Francis did a really bad job.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think just looking at the defense on Seattle's roster tells you that there are plenty of moves to come. They currently have rights to 11 defensemen, 1 of which is a UFA and the other 10 are waiver ineligible and every last one of those 10 would be claimed. They need to thin out the D on their NHL roster and build their AHL roster to a degree, though they will be sharing an AHL affiliate this season so the latter is less urgent.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I liked Eberle as well, but yeah I can't believe some of the players they passed on to get 8th and 9th defenders.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think just looking at the defense on Seattle's roster tells you that there are plenty of moves to come. They currently have rights to 11 defensemen, 1 of which is a UFA and the other 10 are waiver ineligible and every last one of those 10 would be claimed. They need to thin out the D on their NHL roster and build their AHL roster to a degree, though they will be sharing an AHL affiliate this season so the latter is less urgent.
They also need to bolster their forwards group, which they neglected some because they were adding more defencemen than they needed. Now through trades, signing a few key UFA forwards, and the Juniors draft, they can remove excess defencemen, and add the forwards they need. And, that is just what they had planned to do all along.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
In general I like what Seattle did. You build from the goal out. They can now draft some hot-shot goal scorers and let them develop.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I liked Eberle as well, but yeah I can't believe some of the players they passed on to get 8th and 9th defenders.
Couldn’t agree more. I mean I can at least understand taking Dunn over Tarasenko. I personally would have taken Tarasenko, but at least you can understand why they preferred Dunn.

But man… some of those picks were just completely out of left field.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Couldn’t agree more. I mean I can at least understand taking Dunn over Tarasenko. I personally would have taken Tarasenko, but at least you can understand why they preferred Dunn.

But man… some of those picks were just completely out of left field.
I was expecting trades to happen that would make a lot of their oddball picks make more sense. But so far nothing has happened

Reactions: MissouriMook

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't see Dunn will be playing Seattle. Francis will use him for trade chip to improve their forward group. Detroit are still lacking LHD.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good interview with Vince Dunn by Strickland today on the radio.

Dunn said he never wanted to leave St. Louis. He never asked for a trade and he didn’t want to be left unprotected and taken by Seattle.

He’s also able to look at the positives and a new opportunity but just throwing that out there. Clearly not a guy with any bad taste left in his mouth. I think the Tarasenko saga is warping people’s minds into thinking the Blues are suddenly toxic and players don’t want to be here. That’s not the case. Tarasenko’s situation is very unique anyways, most players won’t go through that many surgeries in a short amount of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad