2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
With flat cap think you're gonna see lots of good but highly paid players (like Tarasenko? Krug?) left unprotected. Teams may not want to lose them but lower priced options are more valuable with cap space so scarce. Will be interesting to see whether Kraken take the bait.
I think Seattle would definitely have to think long and hard about taking Tarasenko if he were to be available, even if he isn't an elite player anymore, he's been one of the top selling jerseys in the NHL for a long time and that could be intriguing to a new franchise to potentially get more merch out and put a footprint on the city.

Depending on what protection lists look like, I could see probably two of those types being taken to assume the face of the franchise role, a la Fleury in Vegas. But I wouldn't expect them to spend more $14-15mil on those types of players

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think Seattle would definitely have to think long and hard about taking Tarasenko if he were to be available, even if he isn't an elite player anymore, he's been one of the top selling jerseys in the NHL for a long time and that could be intriguing to a new franchise to potentially get more merch out and put a footprint on the city.[/QUO

I just can't imagine exposing him. He loves this city the way Perron does. I would prefer exposing Krug and letting Schwartz walk.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think Seattle would definitely have to think long and hard about taking Tarasenko if he were to be available, even if he isn't an elite player anymore, he's been one of the top selling jerseys in the NHL for a long time and that could be intriguing to a new franchise to potentially get more merch out and put a footprint on the city.

Depending on what protection lists look like, I could see probably two of those types being taken to assume the face of the franchise role, a la Fleury in Vegas. But I wouldn't expect them to spend more $14-15mil on those types of players
I don’t think they are worried about selling jerseys. I expect them to lead league next year on jersey sales. They do have to get to minimum cap number though so big money guys without long term commitment would be attractive I’d imagine.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I just can't imagine exposing him. He loves this city the way Perron does. I would prefer exposing Krug and letting Schwartz walk.
They all love it until they leave. Petro loved city until he didn’t. Perron is pretty much only one to return as active player.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
We all love playing armchair GM, myself included. If I was Armstrong, I would honestly protect Dunn and expose Krug. If Seattle goes for it, we are off the hook for that contract. If not, we keep our current defense corps. It is really a win-win for me. Hopefully, Dunn becomes our version of Krug. If not, Perunovich might be able to fill that role. Krug is absolutely replaceable.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Tarasenko is done. Should have moved him at the TDL. The faster we move that contract the better.

Expose Krug.

Protect DP, ROR, Sunny, Barby, Thomas, Faulk.

Hoffman and Schwartz I’m on the fence.

Reactions: JR1

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Seeing who is effectively putting forth the effort in the series so far and realizing how far behind the Avs we are in young talent, I’m beginning to think that the best course of action is to protect the young players, especially the ones who are contributing, and work towards a 2 year re-tool. Protect your top performers and young players who can still ascend, but expose all of the guys who aren’t getting the job done knowing you are only going to lose one of them. If someone like Schenn, Tarasenko or Krug isn’t taken but returns as a malcontent, invite them to waive their NTC and swap them for some cheaper, young talent even if you have to take a cap dump back.

F: ROR, Perron, Kyrou, Thomas, Barbashev, Blais, Sunny
D: Parayko, Faulk, Dunn
G: Binnington

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Seeing who is effectively putting forth the effort in the series so far and realizing how far behind the Avs we are in young talent, I’m beginning to think that the best course of action is to protect the young players, especially the ones who are contributing, and work towards a 2 year re-tool. Protect your top performers and young players who can still ascend, but expose all of the guys who aren’t getting the job done knowing you are only going to lose one of them. If someone like Schenn, Tarasenko or Krug isn’t taken but returns as a malcontent, invite them to waive their NTC and swap them for some cheaper, young talent even if you have to take a cap dump back.

Remove Blais for Tarasenko and I agree. Not gonna give up on 91 yet, think hes still not healthy.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Keep seeing Sunny on these protected list. The guy is coming off an ACL tear and will not be ready until possibly late December early July.
Not only that how many bottom 6 guys do the Blues need? I like the guy and understand his value, but the guy will be 28 at the end of next season, has played 6 seasons, 229 games and has 72 points.

How many 4th line grinders is Seattle going to select?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

my only change would be to swap Faulk with Mikkola...not because i think Mikkola is anything special, but simply because I think it's crucial for the Blues to move one of the big contracts in the process, and if you can protect all the young, cheap guys with upside they'll really have nobody left to choose from besides one of Tarasenko, Scandella, Faulk, Krug, Schenn...unless they've just got a hard on for Zach Sanford.

and for as good as Faulk looked this year; I still think he's got very little chance of living up to the rest of that deal. he may have earned his money this season; but I'd sell high if possible.

Reactions: The Note

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Keep seeing Sunny on these protected list. The guy is coming off an ACL tear and will not be ready until possibly late December early July.
Not only that how many bottom 6 guys do the Blues need? I like the guy and understand his value, but the guy will be 28 at the end of next season, has played 6 seasons, 229 games and has 72 points.

true but is it worth the risk of losing someone who is IMO up there with ROR as far as importance to the team?

I agree the chances are lower than they pick him but if you expose him its always a risk.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Something else occurred to me. Seattle may opt to select and extend Hoffman - I haven't seen a single projection that has Hoffman protected. I don't think anyone has discussed it at all on our board either.

I'd think someone who is 31 with 7 30+ gp seasons of which he's had 25+ goals 5 times, scored over 20 6 times and had 17 goals in 52gp this year is going to draw some interest.

Hoffman is a top 6 winger on most NHL teams as is, which I don't expect will be readily available to the Kraken in the expansion draft.

Zachary Hines

May 16, 2021
I think some major changes need to happen i am done with valdi? Krug. They probably wont re up on Bozak that is like 4 to 5M off the books. I see Landeskog and Dougie Hamilton are free agents. I would try to bring those 2 in.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I don’t think they are worried about selling jerseys. I expect them to lead league next year on jersey sales. They do have to get to minimum cap number though so big money guys without long term commitment would be attractive I’d imagine.

didn't think Seattle had to worry about a salary cap/floor the 1st year? could be mistaken

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

think that's under selling Sunny's value a bit IMO

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think some major changes need to happen i am done with valdi? Krug. They probably wont re up on Bozak that is like 4 to 5M off the books. I see Landeskog and Dougie Hamilton are free agents. I would try to bring those 2 in.
Hamilton will be looking for 8/yr, not sure on Landy,but betting it's close to that. not sure how you bring in 16m without some major roster moves. you'd have to move a combination of Krug, Tarasenko, bozak, schwartz, possibly dunn.. not bringing back hoffman
I dont think Landy leaves Colorado, so that might be moot.

Zachary Hines

May 16, 2021
Hamilton will be looking for 8/yr, not sure on Landy,but betting it's close to that. not sure how you bring in 16m without some major roster moves. you'd have to move a combination of Krug, Tarasenko, bozak, schwartz, possibly dunn.. not bringing back hoffman
I dont think Landy leaves Colorado, so that might be moot.
He probably wont leave Colorado i agree but one could dream.. it would definitely talk a combination of Valdi 7 krug and bozak and not re signing Jaden. But both are elite players

Zachary Hines

May 16, 2021
Just think Landy, ROR, Perron
Hoffman, Thomas, Kyrou
Schenn, Sunny, Sanford

FILL IN THE BLANK FOR 4TH LINE

Faulk, Hamilton, colton, scandella, gunderson, Botz, wallman

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Hoffman, Thomas, Kyrou
Schenn, Sunny, Sanford

You do realize both those guys are talking 8-9 million in FA, probably more to convince them to move to St. Louis.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

Sundqvist is much better than your average 4th liner. He could be a legit 3rd line center on a contender if Berube actually gives him a real chance.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Hoffman, Thomas, Kyrou
Schenn, Sunny, Sanford

Landy won't be giving up his captaincy to come to a team that he just eliminated in the playoffs.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
didn't think Seattle had to worry about a salary cap/floor the 1st year? could be mistaken
They have to be compliant with both the cap ceiling and the cap floor, which is why they won't be able to run out and sign every free agent, but why they will also need to draft some players with higher dollar contracts that the player's current team is exposing. In the end, they will likely come out of the free agency period needing to add salary and look to make favorable deals with teams like Tampa and Vegas who will need to shed cap in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad