2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Assuming the Blues do the WRONG thing and protect Krug over Dunn, what do you think Dunn could return via trade?
Very little before the expansion draft, I don't imagine teams will pay fair value for him considering they'd have to protect him or risk spending those assets only for Dunn to get taken for free.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Very little before the expansion draft, I don't imagine teams will pay fair value for him considering they'd have to protect him or risk spending those assets only for Dunn to get taken for free.
I’m wondering if a team like Columbus would be a good trade partner. They could acquire Dunn then use one of their 3 firsts to have Seattle select a certain player.

What would you want from Cbus?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I’m wondering if a team like Columbus would be a good trade partner. They could acquire Dunn then use one of their 3 firsts to have Seattle select a certain player.

Ideally, I'd want to move Dunn in a package for an upgrade at LHD. I'm not too familiar with Gavrikov, and I'm just going to assume Werenski isn't available.

Reactions: MissouriMook

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

So then they’d be spending a 1st plus whatever they give us for Dunn? Not happening.

Reactions: Blueston

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
They did the exact same thing last expansion draft.
Did they trade for someone in the off-season, though? If the idea is that they’ll trade for Dunn, then trade a 1st to Seattle so that they don’t select Dunn, then what exactly would the Blues receive? Nothing close to fair value, I’m sure.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Did they trade for someone in the off-season, though? If the idea is that they’ll trade for Dunn, then trade a 1st to Seattle so that they don’t select Dunn, then what exactly would the Blues receive? Nothing close to fair value, I’m sure.
I’m still trying to figure out what the ‘fair value’ is, in this hypothetical. If he’s going to be picked/exposed then what would the value be?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I’m still trying to figure out what the ‘fair value’ is, in this hypothetical. If he’s going to be picked/exposed then what would the value be?

I'm not even sure moving Dunn is the right move at this point. I'd rather protect Parayko, Faulk and Dunn and hope Seattle takes Krug. Expansion makes any kind of hockey trade tough until after Seattle has made all their picks. Imo Dunn isn't worth CBJ using their 1st to protect in that hypothetical. If they're interested in him their best bet is to wait till the dust settles and inquire then. I expect to see fairly significant changes coming for the Blues so it's possible he could be moved.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I'm not even sure moving Dunn is the right move at this point. I'd rather protect Parayko, Faulk and Dunn and hope Seattle takes Krug. Expansion makes any kind of hockey trade tough until after Seattle has made all their picks. Imo Dunn isn't worth CBJ using their 1st to protect in that hypothetical. If they're interested in him their best bet is to wait till the dust settles and inquire then. I expect to see fairly significant changes coming for the Blues so it's possible he could be moved.

Agreed. Someone show me a single play Krug made where you said "wow, that's a 6.5M dollar play." At 5 on 5, he's pretty average too. Dunn is 1/3 of the cost of Krug, is a better skater, and 5 years younger. That being said, I'm also down to trade Perunovich (future Krug), for a high first rounder this year. There's no way we will have room for him anyways if we have Scandella, Krug/Dunn, Mikkola, and Walman on the left side next year. And no, we aren't going to play Perunovich on the right side over Parayko, Faulk, or Bortuzzo.

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Agreed. Someone show me a single play Krug has made that caused you to say "wow, that's a 6.5M dollar play." At 5 on 5, he's pretty average too. Dunn is 1/3 of the cost of Krug, is a better skater, and 5 years younger. That being said, I'm also down to trade Perunovich (future Krug), for a high first rounder this year. There's no way we will have room for him anyways if we have Scandella, Krug/Dunn, Mikkola, and Walman on the left side next year. And no, we aren't going to play Perunovich on the right side over Parayko, Faulk, or Bortuzzo.
I'm hoping Krug is left unprotected and taken by Seattle. Then trade one of Dunn/Perunovich+ for an upgrade at LHD.

Reactions: BlueMed

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed. Someone show me a single play Krug made where you said "wow, that's a 6.5M dollar play." At 5 on 5, he's pretty average too. Dunn is 1/3 of the cost of Krug, is a better skater, and 5 years younger. That being said, I'm also down to trade Perunovich (future Krug), for a high first rounder this year. There's no way we will have room for him anyways if we have Scandella, Krug/Dunn, Mikkola, and Walman on the left side next year. And no, we aren't going to play Perunovich on the right side over Parayko, Faulk, or Bortuzzo.

I get why people want to protect Dunn over Krug and I can see arguments for both, but I'm not sure what a $6.5 million dollar play looks like. Krug is very solid moving the puck around and leading the PP and despite scoring a disappointing 2 goals, he was still tied for 18th in NHL scoring among d-men. While he does get exposed on D from time to time, he showed that he can at least hold his own for 22 tough minutes a night (his +11 is tied for 3rd on the team). If we'd been healthy all year, I think a Krug/Faulk + Scandella/Parayko top 4 is pretty solid. It's just that Krug was forced into more of a defensive role than he's suited for which is why fans are so frustrated with him. But 22 mins a night, 50-60-point d-man...isn't that worth $6.5 million a year?

I can see financial reasons for exposing Krug, but I wouldn't assume Dunn can just come in and fill that role. Some people are saying Dunn is just as good defensively as Krug, and I just don't see that. Dunn's usage chart shows that he gets a high % of offensive zone starts, and he often gets caught in "no-man's land" on the back end as Panger puts it. Does he have the ability to become a more solid all-around top 4 guy? Maybe he can get there in the future but if so, then what will his next contract look like?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I get why people want to protect Dunn over Krug and I can see arguments for both, but I'm not sure what a $6.5 million dollar play looks like. Krug is very solid moving the puck around and leading the PP and despite scoring a disappointing 2 goals, he was still tied for 18th in NHL scoring among d-men. While he does get exposed on D from time to time, he showed that he can at least hold his own for 22 tough minutes a night (his +11 is tied for 3rd on the team). If we'd been healthy all year, I think a Krug/Faulk + Scandella/Parayko top 4 is pretty solid. It's just that Krug was forced into more of a defensive role than he's suited for which is why fans are so frustrated with him. But 22 mins a night, 50-60-point d-man...isn't that worth $6.5 million a year?

I can see financial reasons for exposing Krug, but I wouldn't assume Dunn can just come in and fill that role. Some people are saying Dunn is just as good defensively as Krug, and I just don't see that. Dunn's usage chart shows that he gets a high % of offensive zone starts, and he often gets caught in "no-man's land" on the back end as Panger puts it. Does he have the ability to become a more solid all-around top 4 guy? Maybe he can get there in the future but if so, then what will his next contract look like?
Despite the opinions on this board, its pretty easy to predict that Armstrong isn't going to expose Krug to protect Dunn. People can argue that this is a mistake, but I haven't seen any compelling argument to persuade me that Armstrong views things such that he'd expose Krug.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am already resigned to the near certainty of Armstrong protecting Krug. I disagree strongly, and even though I don't like his vision of what the Blues are going to be, I am pretty sure I know what he is going to do. I hope I am proven wrong.

Reactions: mk80

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Dunn didn’t already write himself a ticket out of town with his contract negotiations last summer, he certainly has this series. He won’t be back.

Krug will be.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If Dunn didn’t already write himself a ticket out of town with his contract negotiations last summer, he certainly has this series. He won’t be back.

Krug will be.
We don't know what is wrong with him or whether he has been medically cleared. I'm in favor of dealing him, but not gonna fault him for sitting out hurt after he played in 2019 with broken jaw.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We don't know what is wrong with him or whether he has been medically cleared. I'm in favor of dealing him, but not gonna fault him for sitting out hurt after he played in 2019 with broken jaw.
The whole thing just seems odd to me. He has been well enough to skate for a while. He’s in a contract year and there’s many rumors that the Blues want to deal him.

Connecting the dots here, just really seems like he didn’t want to risk making a mistake in the playoffs and hurting his contract demands for a team he doesn’t expect to play for again.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I am already resigned to the near certainty of Armstrong protecting Krug. I disagree strongly, and even though I don't like his vision of what the Blues are going to be, I am pretty sure I know what he is going to do. I hope I am proven wrong.

I'd be more hopeful had we not had issues signing Dunn in the past. IIRC there have been some hard feelings in regards to contracts in the past and I bet Armstrong would rather just let it be someone else's problem.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The whole thing just seems odd to me. He has been well enough to skate for a while. He’s in a contract year and there’s many rumors that the Blues want to deal him.

Connecting the dots here, just really seems like he didn’t want to risk making a mistake in the playoffs and hurting his contract demands for a team he doesn’t expect to play for again.
Agree that it seems odd he couldn't go, but we really don't know what exactly his injury is or how severe it is. Maybe more info will come out now that the season is over, but I think the bolded is a bit of a stretch.

I'm inclined to give Dunn the benefit of the doubt. He seems like a very competitive guy, I don't doubt that he would want to play.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I'd be more hopeful had we not had issues signing Dunn in the past. IIRC there have been some hard feelings in regards to contracts in the past and I bet Armstrong would rather just let it be someone else's problem.
If negotiating a contract with Dunn is considered a problem for DA, then we have a problem with DA...this is literally his job. I know there were some issues with Edmundson, though.

Reactions: mk80

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad