Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Not close, Hughes is a top 30 pick at worst, Jared Stall was a mid round guy
Jared was drafted in the second round.

I agree that Hughes will likely be a top-30 selection however, i see a lot of news outlets that have him in the same tier as Power, Clarke and Edvinsson, which isn’t the case at all, he’s at very best a tier below those guys.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jared was drafted in the second round.

I agree that Hughes will likely be a top-30 selection however, i see a lot of news outlets that have him in the same tier as Power, Clarke and Edvinsson, which isn’t the case at all, he’s at very best a tier below those guys.
Yes, he was taken higher because his name was Staal. He wasn't a good prospect. If his last name was Smith, he's a 6th or 7th. He was at no point considered a 1st.

If Hughes last name was Smith, he's still at worst a top 20 guy right now

They aren't similar whatsoever, and Hughes is a top prospect regardless of what his last name is

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Utah but UND maybe not want him missing that many games in a shortened season either
The States aren't holding a month long training camp starting in the middle of November, and Sanderson is a top pairing D for them. Power would only be at the camp for exposure, he is much more likely to not make the team.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yes, he was taken higher because his name was Staal. He wasn't a good prospect. If his last name was Smith, he's a 6th or 7th. He was at no point considered a 1st.

If Hughes last name was Smith, he's still at worst a top 20 guy right now

They aren't similar whatsoever, and Hughes is a top prospect regardless of what his last name is

Exactly.

Jared Staal wasn't even taken that much higher than he should have been either. He was a 17 year old, 6'4 forward who got 49 points in 60 OHL games. Pretty reasonable numbers and frame for a guy to go late 2nd - early third.

If anyone benefited from the Staal name (as far as draft position) it was Jordan. Even at 6'4, PPG players in the OHL don't go 2nd overall.

Jared just busted while Jordan turned into a good player.

Hughes would be more like Jordan than Jared if you ask me.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
In order I want, specifically for the Sens

Clarke
Johnson
Guenther
Power

Oh man, any of these options would be amazing.

Chabot - Clarke
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Kleven - JBD

OR

Tkachuk - Stuetzle - Guenther

OR

Jarventie - Johnson - Batherson

OR

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Batherson
Power - Thomson

200.gif

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the Sens could be only two players away from having a very good future team that could challenge for a SC & adding Dylan Guenther RW & Roman Schmidt RD would fill that void. A top six centre would add some excellent depth for that position too.

Tkachuk - Stuetzle - Batherson
Jarventie - L. Brown - Pinto
Formenton - Norris - Guenther
Paul - Kastelic - Solokov
Huckins/Grubbe

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom/Thomson
Kleven - Schmidt

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord

Last edited:

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think the Sens could be only two players away from having a very good future team that could challenge for a SC & adding Dylan Guenther RD & Roman Schmidt RD would fill that void. A top six centre would add some excellent depth for that position too.

Tkachuk - Stuetzle - Batherson
Jarventie - L. Brown - Pinto
Formenton - Norris - Guenther
Paul - Kastelic - Solokov

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom/Thomson
Kleven - Schmidt

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord

Swap Guenther and pinto and you have a great team.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Cole Huckins is a guy to look out for. From, and plays in Mann's backyard, huge, skilled, and has a ton of pro hockey in his family. Probably going to be a mid-late 1st by years end.

I'd imagine Mann's seen him play many times since his Bantam years.

He's playing between 2 overage guys, and looks like the most impressive guy most games

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Swap Guenther and pinto and you have a great team.

I agree with you & BondraTime that Guenther has the potential to be the better player, but in this lineup I see Pinto's style of play as helping Jarventie & L. Brown by bringing a little more physicality to that line. And with Guenther's skillset that should help Norris & Formenton be a much more offensive line too. Rather than look at individual skillsets, I like to look at line combinations to see which players compliment each other to create the most effective line combinations.

If Pinto plays with Formenton & Norris I expect that the offence wouldn't be as productive, but with Guenther it could be, therefore creating three very offensively gifted lines with a little bit of everything on each line. Guenther would also be much younger & Pinto a little older giving him a little more experience at that point. Anyway, there are a lot of good players on that team that can be rearranged in all kinds of different ways to create different lines for different situations & all could be quite good I would think. They all seem like they could be very good players for a future team.

- I also like Huckins & Grubbe in the 2021 draft who could eventually replace Paul & Kastelic to add a little more offence on that bottom six. The Sens would have to create some draft day magic to pick up those four guys in the next draft (Guenther, Schmidt, Huckins & Grubbe). They would need at least one more late 1st rd pick & maybe another 2nd to have the assets to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NHL Dude 120

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I agree with you & BondraTime that Guenther has the potential to be the better player, but in this lineup I see Pinto's style of play as helping Jarventie & L. Brown by bringing a little more physicality to that line. And with Guenther's skillset that should help Norris & Formenton be a much more offensive line too. Rather than look at individual skillsets, I like to look at line combinations to see which players compliment each other to create the most effective line combinations.

If Pinto plays with Formenton & Norris I expect that the offence wouldn't be as productive, but with Guenther it could be, therefore creating three very offensively gifted lines with a little bit of everything on each line. Also Guenther would also be much younger & Pinto a little older giving him a little more experience at that point. Anyway, there are a lot of good players on that team that can be rearranged in all kinds of different ways to create different lines for different situations & all could be quite good I would think. They all seem like they could be very good players for a future team.

- I also like Huckins & Grubbe in the 2021 draft who could eventually replace Paul & Kastelic to add a little more offence on that bottom six. The Sens would have to create some draft day magic to pick up those four guys in the next draft (Guenther, Schmidt, Huckins & Grubbe). They would need at least one more late 1st rd pick & maybe another 2nd to have the assets to do it.

How would you feel about Kent Johnson or Fabian Lysell?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How would you feel about Kent Johnson or Fabian Lysell?
Johnson would be a great pickup & a dynamic centre with a HIGH hockey IQ & is a good scorer, however, IMO Ottawa needs a RWer more than a centre, but how could you argue with either player? Johnson also has good size & can skate like the wind, he would be an excellent pickup, unfortunately we only have one 1st rd pick & that we hope is an early one.

Fabian Lysell I don't know much about, he's a right shot so could play RW I assume & seems to be a very dynamic playmaker & goal scorer & terrific skater from what I have read & seen in videos. Would I be wrong in saying he seems to play a bit like Lucas Raymond, probably not quite as good? I assume he could be a 1st rd pick as well maybe mid-round or earlier? He could be close to where I think Schmidt could be drafted & again I think the Sens could use a RD more especially if they have to move up to get him. They are two good players, I just think the Sens need the RWer & RD a little more, but both guys seem like they are going to be very good too. Should be another very interesting draft.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
BPA for me rather than a specific position. We will still have holes at all positions because some of our prospects will not work out as hoped. I feel that a top forward is the greatest need and that usually means a highly skilled, fast skating, playmaking center.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Cole Huckins is a guy to look out for. From, and plays in Mann's backyard, huge, skilled, and has a ton of pro hockey in his family. Probably going to be a mid-late 1st by years end.

I'd imagine Mann's seen him play many times since his Bantam years.

He's playing between 2 overage guys, and looks like the most impressive guy most games

From looking at his stats it looks like he has made a major improvement in his +/- from last year to go along with the increased point production. Any comment on the change in his +/- and what improvements he has made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad