Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa will draft Owen Power D University of Michigan NCAA. And he will join the team 1000 years later. Fits the Melnyk's bill.
With Chabot already here & Sanderson & Kleven recently drafted the left side defence seems set IMO. Power is also a LD & looks like he could be a great player, but my guess is that they will go after a forward with their first in 2021 draft, maybe someone like Dylan Guenther to add more depth to RW. It's much more likely that they will try to add another late first or use their 3 2nd rd picks to add a player like Roman Schmidt RD to add more depth to RD. I guess we'll see.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
With Chabot already here & Sanderson & Kleven recently drafted the left side defence seems set IMO. Power is also a LD & looks like he could be a great player, but my guess is that they will go after a forward with their first in 2021 draft, maybe someone like Dylan Guenther to add more depth to RW. It's much more likely that they will try to add another late first or use their 3 2nd rd picks to add a player like Roman Schmidt RD to add more depth to RD. I guess we'll see.

The problem with this scenario, that we have an overload in a dmen pickle jar. To win the Stanley cup we do not need potential six number one dmen - we need top six forwards. When he is getting them? Outside of Stutzle and massif may be Sokolov. We do not have them, because of the Melnyk's thrifty policy. I will be elated if Drake Batherson and Roby Jarventie will be developed in this role. But then he has to trade them again. He just can not afford top six forwards. End of story.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Our defense is set. While we got plenty of good forward prospects too, I feel we still need one more high end forward prospects.

I get the conventional wisdom is "draft BPA then trade for meed later" but it doesn't always work out so cleanly: there might not be many high end young forwards available for trade.

Um, what? So we would have only one opportunity to make a trade? We couldn't wait a couple months or years until a player became available by trade? 32 teams in the league and you think a good young forward will never become available?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The problem with this scenario, that we have an overload in a dmen pickle jar. To win the Stanley cup we do not need potential six number one dmen - we need top six forwards. When he is getting them? Outside of Stutzle and massif may be Sokolov. We do not have them, because of the Melnyk's thrifty policy. I will be elated if Drake Batherson and Roby Jarventie will be developed in this role. But then he has to trade them again. He just can not afford top six forwards. End of story.
What's the point of thinking you know what Melnyk is going to do? No one including you can predict what the future will bring & what he will do. If you are upset because the team traded away their stars what would you have done? They sucked & weren't winning with the players they had. It would have been a huge mistake to sign EK to the same contract he got from SJ given he wasn't helping this team win.

It seems that PD got rid of these so called top six players just in time as they seem to have gotten worse since leaving Ottawa & haven't helped their teams win a cup. Stone is the only player I was sorry to see traded but since they were rebuilding anyway what was the point of keeping him given by the time this team challenges for a cup he might be too old & too slow. Clearly you have a hate on for EM & I don't blame anyone for that, the guy's a dickhead, but the team needed changes, it wasn't working for them with the players they had. It remains to be seen whether he will pony up when the time comes to sign these star players or top six players, he has before so why wouldn't he again if they become contenders. I don't blame him for not wanting to pay players when they are not making the playoffs with those players.

They needed a new direction, whether this one is any better remains to be seen but IMO it had to happen, it is inevitable in pro sports if you are losing you have to make changes or get fired. I think we probably prefer different kinds of players since I think they have enough skill in the organization, they are just young at the moment & need experience & ice time to improve. I think they have at least 9 good forwards who could play on a future team & at least 4 good defencemen but it will take time for these guys to reach their potential. We'll see if he forces the GM to trade them rather than increase his budget as the team gets better, I think he might, but they also have to be able to fit as many as they can within the budget & cap. Look at the problems a number of teams are having now trying to pay & keep their best players like Tampa.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Caden Brown, Logan's little brother, is draft eligible in 2021 and is killing it to start the season.

He's not expected to be a high pick, but is leading the U.S U18 Team with 7 points in 3 games.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Caden Brown, Logan's little brother, is draft eligible in 2021 and is killing it to start the season.

He's not expected to be a high pick, but is leading the U.S U18 Team with 7 points in 3 games.

Looks like a smart hockey player, little concerning how often he shys away from contact in the tiny bit I've seen him play.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I watched a bunch more tape from 2019 U17s, 2020 5N-U17s, and some SHL and KHL games from early this season. I'll call this my pre-season rankings. Emphasis went, as much as possible, to players I've had multiple viewings of.

1. Brandt Clarke - An all-round phenom reminiscent of a young Drew Doughty or Josh Morrissey.

2. Carson Lambos - Some question marks about decision-making, but massive offensive upside. Best attribute is his skating.

3. Kent Johnson - The most dynamic offensive player of the class from what I've seen so far.

4. Cole Sillinger - Probably never going to be an offensive juggernaut, but has all the tools of an elite two-way center. Best attributes are his shot and defensive stick.

5. Luke Hughes - Some high end skills and decent size. Seems to find ways to create offense for his team without putting himself at risk defensively.

6. Aatu Räty - Barkov, Laine, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, and many others had much better 17-year-old seasons. Now in his 18-year-old season and he's still not a Liiga regular. Starting to think the hype was exaggerated.

7. Owen Power - I still haven't really seen him play so can't say much, but seems like he could be a force.

8. Simon Edvinsson - 6'4, great skater, highly skilled. Big question marks on the defensive side.

9. Matthew Beniers - Was the most dynamic player on the U18 NTDP team when he was on his game. Not as consistent as Smilanic or Bordeleau.

10. Dylan Guenther - Has all the tools of a first line power forward. Best attributes are skating and shot.

11. Fyodor Svechkov - Not the most dynamic, but one of the cleverest and most skilled offensive players in the class. Best attributes are offensive instincts and hands in tight.

12. William Eklund - Prior to last game, he played 17+ minutes in three consecutive. Part of one of the best lines in SHL right now with Alex Holtz and former first rounder Jacob Josefsson.

13. Chaz Lucius - Smart, skilled, creative. More cerebral than dynamic.

14. Simon Robertsson - Sturdy kid with NHL size. Shows some good skills, but mainly he's a responsible, pro-translatable player.

15. Corson Ceulemans - Highly skilled offensive defenseman with NHL size.

16. Jesper Wallstedt - Looks like the real deal. Can he go higher than Askarov?

17. Daniil Lazutin - Bit of a power game mixed with some pretty good skills. Best attribute is creating offense around the net.

18. Zachary Bolduc - QMJHL rookie of the year has NHL size.

19. Fabian Lysell - One of the most purely skilled and dynamic players of the class, but I'm still weary about his pro translatability.

20. Artyom Grushnikov - Smart, responsible puck-moving defenseman. Best attribute is his first pass.

21. Mason McTavish - A bull on the ice at the junior level. Can he continue to impose his will physically at higher levels?

22. Samu Salminen - Probably not gonna be an offensive dynamo in the NHL, but his 19 in 11 so far this year is the fifth highest points per game ever by a U18 in Finland's junior league behind only Pulkkinen, Selanne, Terravainen and Mikko Koivu. Plus he has an NHL frame.

23. Sasha Pastujov - He could quite possibly supplant Lucius as the top draft-eligible forward for NTDP. He's more purely skilled I would say. Just not entirely sold on his hockey IQ yet.

24. Vsevolod Gaidamak - Good skills, but his hockey sense, vision and creativity are his bread and butter.

25. Brennan Othmann - The one OHL forward who really stood out at U17s, besides Wright.

26. Atte Lehikoinen - I'm captivated by his defensive ability. At 5N-U17s he was out every shifts against Russia's top line of Yurov-Gaidamak-Svechkov and he handled them well. Also seems like there could be offensive upside hiding behind his responsible shutdown game.

27. Isaac Belliveau - Haven't seen him play much, but the numbers are pretty impressive for a 17 year old rookie.

28. Oskar Olausson - Another late birthday Swedish forward emerging as a regular pro.

29. Daniil Chayka - Keeps things simple, pretty good size and skills.

30. Stanislav Svozil - He's been an Extraliga regular for more than a year now already. Looks like he's ranged somwhere between 14-18 mins in his past few games

31. Zachary L'Heureux

32. Prokhor Poltapov - Highly skilled, but he's looked much better in Europe than in the tight spaces of North American ice.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Here are some notable players that were passed over in the 2020 draft and will still be eligible for the 2021 draft.

1st Year Eligible (Now 2nd Year Eligible)
Grant Slukynsky, Carsen Richels, Cole Hansen, Anthony Tabak, Luke Mylymok, Maxim Krovyakov, Ivan Didkovsky, Kirill Kondyrev, Ivan Zinchenko, Ryan Kirwan, Tanner Latsch, Andrei Bakanov, Stephen Halliday, Cam Butler, Jake Uberti, Winter Wallace, Nate Hanley, Alexandre Doucet, Timofei Khohklachev, Mason Alderson, Briaden Simmons-Fischer, Kyle Van Compernolle, Victor Mancini, Jeremie Biakabutuka

2nd Year Eligible (Now 3rd Year Eligible)

Dmitri Rashevsky, Logan Barlage, Kyle Mandleur, Logan Barlage, Jack Works, Xavier Simoneau, Danil Gutik, Danil Bashkirov, Dylan Jackson, Ty Jackson, Kaden Bohlsen, Kyle Bettens, Liam McLinskey, Luke Toporowski

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Here are some notable players that were passed over in the 2020 draft and will still be eligible for the 2021 draft.

1st Year Eligible (Now 2nd Year Eligible)
Grant Slukynsky, Carsen Richels, Cole Hansen, Anthony Tabak, Luke Mylymok, Maxim Krovyakov, Ivan Didkovsky, Kirill Kondyrev, Ivan Zinchenko, Ryan Kirwan, Tanner Latsch, Andrei Bakanov, Stephen Halliday, Cam Butler, Jake Uberti, Winter Wallace

2nd Year Eligible (Now 3rd Year Eligible)

Dmitri Rashevsky, Logan Barlage, Kyle Mandleur, Logan Barlage, Jack Works, Xavier Simoneau, Danil Gutik, Danil Bashkirov, Dylan Jackson, Ty Jackson
should give gogolev an invite. He is a UFA now I believe

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
should give gogolev an invite. He is a UFA now I believe
Yeah that was his 3rd year of eligibility. Gogolev is now a UFA. A few others that were playing in the CHL are Curtis Douglas and Oliver Okuliar. The Sens might want to consider a few camp invites. Maybe they can luck out and get another Parker Kelly type. There are a few 2nd and 3rd year eligible prospects that might be worth an ELC. I am not sure what the restrictions are around signing them though. Can a team sign any prospect that was passed over in their first draft at anytime or are there restrictions around that such as needing to sign a player before the CHL season starts?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah that was his 3rd year of eligibility. Gogolev is now a UFA. A few others that were playing in the CHL are Curtis Douglas and Oliver Okuliar. The Sens might want to consider a few camp invites. Maybe they can luck out and get another Parker Kelly type. There are a few 2nd and 3rd year eligible prospects that might be worth an ELC. I am not sure what the restrictions are around signing them though. Can a team sign any prospect that was passed over in their first draft at anytime or are there restrictions around that such as needing to sign a player before the CHL season starts?
I would invite Ethan Cardwell to have a look.. 1st year eligible undrafted.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I watched a bunch more tape from 2019 U17s, 2020 5N-U17s, and some SHL and KHL games from early this season. I'll call this my pre-season rankings. Emphasis went, as much as possible, to players I've had multiple viewings of.

1. Brandt Clarke - An all-round phenom reminiscent of a young Drew Doughty or Josh Morrissey.

2. Carson Lambos - Some question marks about decision-making, but massive offensive upside. Best attribute is his skating.

3. Kent Johnson - The most dynamic offensive player of the class from what I've seen so far.

4. Cole Sillinger - Probably never going to be an offensive juggernaut, but has all the tools of an elite two-way center. Best attributes are his shot and defensive stick.

5. Luke Hughes - Some high end skills and decent size. Seems to find ways to create offense for his team without putting himself at risk defensively.

6. Aatu Räty - Barkov, Laine, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, and many others had much better 17-year-old seasons. Now in his 18-year-old season and he's still not a Liiga regular. Starting to think the hype was exaggerated.

7. Owen Power - I still haven't really seen him play so can't say much, but seems like he could be a force.

8. Simon Edvinsson - 6'4, great skater, highly skilled. Big question marks on the defensive side.

9. Matthew Beniers - Was the most dynamic player on the U18 NTDP team when he was on his game. Not as consistent as Smilanic or Bordeleau.

10. Dylan Guenther - Has all the tools of a first line power forward. Best attributes are skating and shot.

11. Fyodor Svechkov - Not the most dynamic, but one of the cleverest and most skilled offensive players in the class. Best attributes are offensive instincts and hands in tight.

12. William Eklund - Prior to last game, he played 17+ minutes in three consecutive. Part of one of the best lines in SHL right now with Alex Holtz and former first rounder Jacob Josefsson.

13. Chaz Lucius - Smart, skilled, creative. More cerebral than dynamic.

14. Simon Robertsson - Sturdy kid with NHL size. Shows some good skills, but mainly he's a responsible, pro-translatable player.

15. Corson Ceulemans - Highly skilled offensive defenseman with NHL size.

16. Jesper Wallstedt - Looks like the real deal. Can he go higher than Askarov?

17. Daniil Lazutin - Bit of a power game mixed with some pretty good skills. Best attribute is creating offense around the net.

18. Zachary Bolduc - QMJHL rookie of the year has NHL size.

19. Fabian Lysell - One of the most purely skilled and dynamic players of the class, but I'm still weary about his pro translatability.

20. Artyom Grushnikov - Smart, responsible puck-moving defenseman. Best attribute is his first pass.

21. Mason McTavish - A bull on the ice at the junior level. Can he continue to impose his will physically at higher levels?

22. Samu Salminen - Probably not gonna be an offensive dynamo in the NHL, but his 19 in 11 so far this year is the fifth highest points per game ever by a U18 in Finland's junior league behind only Pulkkinen, Selanne, Terravainen and Mikko Koivu. Plus he has an NHL frame.

23. Sasha Pastujov - He could quite possibly supplant Lucius as the top draft-eligible forward for NTDP. He's more purely skilled I would say. Just not entirely sold on his hockey IQ yet.

24. Vsevolod Gaidamak - Good skills, but his hockey sense, vision and creativity are his bread and butter.

25. Brennan Othmann - The one OHL forward who really stood out at U17s, besides Wright.

26. Atte Lehikoinen - I'm captivated by his defensive ability. At 5N-U17s he was out every shifts against Russia's top line of Yurov-Gaidamak-Svechkov and he handled them well. Also seems like there could be offensive upside hiding behind his responsible shutdown game.

27. Isaac Belliveau - Haven't seen him play much, but the numbers are pretty impressive for a 17 year old rookie.

28. Oskar Olausson - Another late birthday Swedish forward emerging as a regular pro.

29. Daniil Chayka - Keeps things simple, pretty good size and skills.

30. Stanislav Svozil - He's been an Extraliga regular for more than a year now already. Looks like he's ranged somwhere between 14-18 mins in his past few games

31. Zachary L'Heureux

32. Prokhor Poltapov - Highly skilled, but he's looked much better in Europe than in the tight spaces of North American ice.
This draft sucks if the best player is josh Morrisey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad