Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
last hughes brother please, trade up and make that pick with our 2nd rounder to where ever he ends up being projected to go. We love bloodlines so much so lets make that move here

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Well this is where I think we differ, I think Ottawa is now set on the left side with not only Chabot but with Sanderson & Kleven as well in 2 to 3 yrs. I also think that two of Brannstrom, JBD or Thomson should be NHL regulars at some point within 2 or 3 yrs as well. Given that they drafted a number of LWers in this 2020 draft, they now need a Rwer or two where they are thin. It just so happens that the two players I think they should target (Guenther RW & Schmidt RD) could be within their reach in the 2021 draft. And they should also be highly ranked due to their obvious skill level & size. They seem like the obvious choice to me at this time for next yr's draft.

Differ indeed. We had Karlsson and Ceci as bonafide top 4 NHLers and Rundblad as the top d-man in the SHL - and all played the right side. It would seem we were set on RHD for the next decade.

But we weren't - we now have none of them. If that doesn't teach you about projecting and the merits of BPA, I'm not sure what will.

Starting to slot in Sanderson and Kleven as our LHD of the future with Chabot is clear and unreal optimism IMO, that has been proven to be folly. After drafting Johnny Tychonik, should we have essentially locked in our 3rd pairing LHD of the future for him? He and Kleven were drafted around the same spot and odds are (and were) neither will be a regular NHLer based on draft position and history. Same can be said for our other recent 2nd round draft picks such as Dahlen, Gagne or Chlapik...were they our 2nd or 3rd line of the future? You hit some and miss some after pick #40, but mostly miss.

While I get penciling in Sanderson given his pick overall and pedigree to one of the LHD spots, the reality is injuries, contracts, personalities, owners and uncertainty come into play, and trying to anticipate your team's depth chart in 4 years is nuts. So within reason, you have to avoid it and trust scouts to nab the BPA.

Don't get me wrong, if we have a LHD and a RW rated relatively equally for a lottery pick, with perhaps a split in our scouts, I'm all for taking the RWer given we have Chabot and Sanderson. But going back to 1999, I'm sure as heck happy the Sens took Havlat as BPA rather than address a more pressing need at center in Michal Sivek, or a physical forward in Charlie Stevens, or a core part of our D in local 67's blueliner Luke Sellers. All were projected as similar rated prospects to Havlat and all three of those guys made much more sense from a depth chart perspective, except we trusted our scouts in identifying the impact player in Mach 9.

And that's my main point - don't take the power away from our scouts next year on this. Otherwise, you might as well just fire the scouts and take the top consensus public ranked guy based on our depth chart, and send Uncle Eug out there to give away the jersey.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If people understood how late birthdays worked Raty wouldn't be ranked anywhere near the top 5.

He's a 2002 born kid. In the same development year as Jarventie (another 2002 born) he had a significantly worse year.

In fact, in his 16YR old year Jarventie produced identically to Raty in the Finnish junior league when Raty was in his 17YR old year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kent Johnson C (BCHL) going to Michigan . If the NCAA gets going they should have a pretty stacked team.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I’d say more wing prospects preferably right so Lysell and Guenther have to be favourites. Kent Johnson is also one to watch for as well. I kinda wish some of them were 2-3 inches bigger but that’s a small thing to gripe at.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
One other thing I’d like to add is that the draft can be quite subjective I think depending on what a team needs. Take a team like the leafs who may need help on the back end they would love this draft itself whereas this draft is hard to predict and pin down.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Differ indeed. We had Karlsson and Ceci as bonafide top 4 NHLers and Rundblad as the top d-man in the SHL - and all played the right side. It would seem we were set on RHD for the next decade.

But we weren't - we now have none of them. If that doesn't teach you about projecting and the merits of BPA, I'm not sure what will.

Starting to slot in Sanderson and Kleven as our LHD of the future with Chabot is clear and unreal optimism IMO, that has been proven to be folly. After drafting Johnny Tychonik, should we have essentially locked in our 3rd pairing LHD of the future for him? He and Kleven were drafted around the same spot and odds are (and were) neither will be a regular NHLer based on draft position and history. Same can be said for our other recent 2nd round draft picks such as Dahlen, Gagne or Chlapik...were they our 2nd or 3rd line of the future? You hit some and miss some after pick #40, but mostly miss.

While I get penciling in Sanderson given his pick overall and pedigree to one of the LHD spots, the reality is injuries, contracts, personalities, owners and uncertainty come into play, and trying to anticipate your team's depth chart in 4 years is nuts. So within reason, you have to avoid it and trust scouts to nab the BPA.

Don't get me wrong, if we have a LHD and a RW rated relatively equally for a lottery pick, with perhaps a split in our scouts, I'm all for taking the RWer given we have Chabot and Sanderson. But going back to 1999, I'm sure as heck happy the Sens took Havlat as BPA rather than address a more pressing need at center in Michal Sivek, or a physical forward in Charlie Stevens, or a core part of our D in local 67's blueliner Luke Sellers. All were projected as similar rated prospects to Havlat and all three of those guys made much more sense from a depth chart perspective, except we trusted our scouts in identifying the impact player in Mach 9.

And that's my main point - don't take the power away from our scouts next year on this. Otherwise, you might as well just fire the scouts and take the top consensus public ranked guy based on our depth chart, and send Uncle Eug out there to give away the jersey.

Of course, we never know how things will work out with prospects & their development curve, but we did have EK for quite a few yrs as well as Ceci who most disliked. Given that this team is rebuilding the plan seems to be to build a team that can contend in 2 to 3 yrs, maybe for a playoff spot & then a cup. After this past draft the Sens are deep in some positions although people still want better players everywhere.

The positions I think they are thin at the moment is on RW & RD & while I can't predict the future I can theoretically at the least stock a position with players who not only fill a need, but I would argue could also be the BPA anyway. I mean isn't this what this board is all about, giving our opinions on everything hockey related including lineups which is one of my favourite things to do, not that it means anything anyway, I'm not the GM. And I doubt any scout reads what I write on here, they will still do what they do. People will always argue about who exactly is the BPA & whether this team or any team actually took the BPA or made a reach, it's irrelevant what people say on here, it's just opinions.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
My early wish list is one of:

Guenther
Clarke
Power
Lysell

I'm not sold on Lysell as of now. Probably one of the most purely skilled and dynamic players of the class, but he seems to try to do too much. Needs to learn to use his teammates better instead of trying to go one on two or one on three.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Seriously? The few mock drafts I so far he was going top three... I haven't studied the 2021 draft enough to make a judgment on your post yet

Thanks for the information

I think I agree with BondraTime. Early on I was wont to go along with the hype, but the more I've seen of the rest of the class, it looks like there's at least a handful of better players.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Of course, we never know how things will work out with prospects & their development curve, but we did have EK for quite a few yrs as well as Ceci who most disliked. Given that this team is rebuilding the plan seems to be to build a team that can contend in 2 to 3 yrs, maybe for a playoff spot & then a cup. After this past draft the Sens are deep in some positions although people still want better players everywhere.

The positions I think they are thin at the moment is on RW & RD & while I can't predict the future I can theoretically at the least stock a position with players who not only fill a need, but I would argue could also be the BPA anyway. I mean isn't this what this board is all about, giving our opinions on everything hockey related including lineups which is one of my favourite things to do, not that it means anything anyway, I'm not the GM. And I doubt any scout reads what I write on here, they will still do what they do. People will always argue about who exactly is the BPA & whether this team or any team actually took the BPA or made a reach, it's irrelevant what people say on here, it's just opinions.

Fair enough. The reality is that always harping on the BPA is a bit of a killjoy for those of us who love to project a future lineup, so I get it. And I have no problem focusing a bit more on the forwards a bit more given our lineup, but I also think center is a bigger issue for us overall. Lots of centers can move to the wing without issue, where as the opposite is not really true.

Reactions: aragorn

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Best player available....
Our defense is set. While we got plenty of good forward prospects too, I feel we still need one more high end forward prospects.

I get the conventional wisdom is "draft BPA then trade for meed later" but it doesn't always work out so cleanly: there might not be many high end young forwards available for trade.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Seriously? The few mock drafts I so far he was going top three... I haven't studied the 2021 draft enough to make a judgment on your post yet

Thanks for the information
as of now he looks the most ready and got some wjc exposure. i agree with BT here tho

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Our defense is set. While we got plenty of good forward prospects too, I feel we still need one more high end forward prospects.

I get the conventional wisdom is "draft BPA then trade for meed later" but it doesn't always work out so cleanly: there might not be many high end young forwards available for trade.
If we are picking top 10, and have a D like Power, Cuelemans, Lambos, etc. in another tier, we should, and will, take the D.

We definitely need pieces up front, but we won’t be passing on guys because of that. We just saw that with Sanderson.

I’d be extremely disappointed if we passed on a Jones for a Monohan or Lindholm.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Here is a list I stole from the main prospect boards on undrafted players. There are more than this but its a start. I think we have to take these guys into consideration when trying to predict who the Sens might take. Some decent names on here , imho.

G
Samuel Hlavaj
Vsevolod Skotnikov
Nick Malik
Aidan Campbell
Taylor Gauthier

LD
Marco Stacha
Chris Sedoff
Danila Palivko
Ilya Mironov
Declan Carlile
Karel Klitorka
Jacob Dion
Hugo Styf
Robert Calisti

RD
Ruben Rafkin
Victor Mancini
Simon Kubicek
Charlie Desrochers
Rhett Rhinehart
Ville Ottavainen

C
Theo Rochette
Pavel Tyutnev
Oliver Suni
Logan Morrison
Josh Pillar
Juuso Maenpaa
Grant Slukynsky
Brady Burns
Stanislav Rangayev
Xavier Simoneau

F
Dmitri Rashevsky
Ethan Cardwell
Gogolev
James Hardie
Ivan Didkovsky
Senna Peeters
Oscar Tellstrom
Yegor Suchkov
Hayden Fowler
Simon Knak
Daniil Gutik
Joonas Oden
Oliver Okuliar
Kyle Crnkovic
Hunter McKown
Tomas Chlubna
Likhachyov​

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Ottawa will draft Owen Power D University of Michigan NCAA. And he will join the team 1000 years later. Fits the Melnyk's bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad