Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I think Johnson is going to be the biggest letdown for whoever drafts him. Very skilled, not sure his pro game will be as effective.

Whoever gets him (not sure he’s should go top 10, though plying a full season will push him there) will be declared the winners of the draft for getting him though.

Yep the twitter scouts are gonna love him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yep the twitter scouts are gonna love him.

I think any scout/person regardless of where they work that thinks that uncommon kind of high end skill trumps a more complete game for example will love him. There are all kinds of scouts/people with different preferences and value systems working in the NHL. Its not all cookie cutter.
Other scouts (people) will value a high end motor and two way game that Beniers has more than more one dimensional higher end skill. Some will be more in he middle and want to see more skill to pick players in the top 5-10.. This is such a weird year and the sample sizes are going to vary.as well as the opinions

I personally would go Beniers over Johnson .. but I can see why someone would go the other way.
I also like Hughes on D but would we take another LD that high in the draft?

Clarke / Beniers / Guenther Sens could use any one of them.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think any scout/person regardless of where they work that thinks that uncommon kind of high end skill trumps a more complete game for example will love him. There are all kinds of scouts/people with different preferences and value systems working in the NHL. Its not all cookie cutter.
Other scouts (people) will value a high end motor and two way game that Beniers has more than more one dimensional higher end skill. Some will be more in he middle.

Hey, could you see Ottawa draft Brandt Clarke RD? That could give them 4 very good top four defencemen. I think it could come down to need over the BPA especially in this draft where the top 10 could be jumbled & ranked different ways depending on where they end up.

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Clarke

While they could also draft a centre Beniers/Johnson or a forward like Guenther/Hughes, they may already have that in Pinto & Formenton & the centres they have who could create two good top six lines.

Tkachuk - Norris - Pinto
Formenton - Stutzle - Batherson

Which do you see as more possible a forward or a D?

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey, could you see Ottawa draft Brandt Clarke RD? That could give them 4 very good top four defencemen. I think it could come down to need over the BPA especially in this draft where the top 10 could be jumbled & ranked different ways depending on where they end up.

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Clarke

While they could also draft a centre Beniers/Johnson or a forward like Guenther/Hughes, they may already have that in Pinto & Formenton & the centres they have who could create two good top six lines.

Tkachuk - Norris - Pinto

Which do you see as more possible a forward or a D?

For sure I could see them doing that. Having the Mann brothers is so good for the Sens so guys like Thomson don't get overvalued to the point of missing on a better player. Luke Hughes is a LD if that's who are referring to.

At this point I think I would be happy with anyone of Clarke / Beniers / Guenther .. which ever one knocks Manns socks off is good by me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey BPA fans

Sens may not be quite there but at some point we are going to need to start drafting to fill in missing pieces.
1C, RD, RW are the biggest holes now..

Lets say Ottawa picks 3OA .. and ranks Hughes (LD) as their BPA in their 1st tier over Beniers or Clarke or Guenther .. who they have in their 2nd tier as a hypothetical.

What do you do?

Reactions: Alex1234

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Hey BPA fans

Sens may not be quite there but at some point we are going to need to start drafting to fill in missing pieces.

Lets say Ottawa picks 3OA .. and ranks Hughes (LD) as their BPA in their 1st tier over Beniers or Clarke or Guenther .. who they have in their 2nd tier as a hypothetical.

What do you do?
Take the chance and trade back for something future included. Or just draft the guy you need

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?

Tough one...depends how close that tier is but I am a fan of shoring up our D and working out from there either via trade/FA or with prospects. We also know both Brann and Wolanin don't mind playing RD so we could move someone over.

That said, if RD is close that would be my choice at this point in time.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?
Trade back

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?

This year I take Hughes if they think he's clearly the best player available. We all think that Sanderson is going to be an excellent NHL player but there are no guarantees. So much can happen.

Plus it's a lot easier to trade from a position of strength than one of weakness. Sanderson, Hughes, Brannstrom or even Chabot project to have a lot of value over the coming years.

If it's a tossup between Hughes and Clarke for example then go for the RD.

Once you get to the second round I would look at organizational depth and how it projects down the road and maybe target a specific position.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?
Beniers no matter what.png

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Tough one...depends how close that tier is but I am a fan of shoring up our D and working out from there either via trade/FA or with prospects. We also know both Brann and Wolanin don't mind playing RD so we could move someone over.

That said, if RD is close that would be my choice at this point in time.

Sanderson also plays RD. I still think you take the forward though with the high pick if you can, good forwards are significantly harder to find with later picks than good defencemen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?
I think they are already in a position with the players they have coming to start drafting for need especially when the player they need could be just as good. Last yr everyone had Lafreniere as the best player in the draft & Stutzle is showing everyone that he wasn't all that far behind him in talent. And that happens all the time with drafts, where guys drafted later turn out to be better than the guys drafted before them including in the top ten. It turns out sometimes that the BPA is sometimes ranked much farther down & we've seen this repeatedly especially after the top 10.

I like Guenther RW or Beniers in the first rd, but my guess is that the Sens, given their defence is so bad right now, they might consider Clarke as their guy & since he should be in the top 10 & the Sens should be drafting in the top 10 he could be their target (maybe even top 5). And of course they will say he was the BPA, every team says that or how they had him ranked so much higher. RD seems to be a position of weakness with this team & drafting Clarke would probably correct that & he's a home town guy. Chabot, Sanderson, JBD & Clarke in the top two pairings could be the answer to their problems on defence for a future team. Imagine two Chabot's on the team, one on each side & either pair could be the best pair on any given night & it still leaves Kleven & Zub as the defensive PK pair.

Here are two good five man units:
Tkachuk - Norris - Pinto
Chabot - JBD

Sanderson - Clarke

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?
One thing I would consider is how well the Sens think they can realistically perform next season. The 2022 draft is deep at forward in the top end. There is Mattew Savoie, Shane Wright, Brad Lambert, Ivan Miroshnichenko, Rutger McGroarty, Frank Nazar and Juraj Slavfkovsky. This leads me to believe that the Sens will very likely take a forward with their 1st round pick in that draft. As a consequence it could make more sense to take a d man with our first in this draft like Owen Power or Luke Hughes.

With regards to RD we have JBD and Thomson in the system and we know that Brannstrom, Sanderson and Kleven are capable of playing the right side. I am not sure but Power and Hughes might be capable of playing the right side as well. If we want a right shot d man in this draft Scott Morrow, Bryce Montgomery and Viktor Hurtig are right shot d men that will be available in the 2nd round or later. Even an over ager like Viktor Mancini should be available in the later rounds.

Reactions: ABC

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
One thing I would consider is how well the Sens think they can realistically perform next season. The 2022 draft is deep at forward in the top end. There is Mattew Savoie, Shane Wright, Brad Lambert, Ivan Miroshnichenko, Rutger McGroarty, Frank Nazar and Juraj Slavfkovsky. This leads me to believe that the Sens will very likely take a forward with their 1st round pick in that draft. As a consequence it could make more sense to take a d man with our first in this draft like Owen Power or Luke Hughes.

With regards to RD we have JBD and Thomson in the system and we know that Brannstrom, Sanderson and Kleven are capable of playing the right side. I am not sure but Power and Hughes might be capable of playing the right side as well. If we want a right shot d man in this draft Scott Morrow, Bryce Montgomery and Viktor Hurtig are right shot d men that will be available in the 2nd round or later. Even an over ager like Viktor Mancini should be available in the later rounds.

Makes sense if the people making that evaluation and determination are rational and capable. Can Dorion realistically do this .. Is it in him.. or is he just over the top over confident .. rubbing it off on Melnyk?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Makes sense if the people making that evaluation and determination are rational and capable. Can Dorion realistically do this .. Is it in him.. or is he just over the top over confident .. rubbing it off on Melnyk?
Trent Mann seems pretty competent. They also took Jake Sanderson in the top five so that suggests they aren't opposed to taking a d man high.

I would have thought that Owen Power would be their key target on d given his size, skating ability and skill, but some of the public scouting services have questioned his toughness and compete level along with some of his decision making. The appeal of Power was that some considered him to be a Chris Pronger type without the nastiness and maybe some scouts are hoping he could develop that side. I think it was Dobber Prospects that had one of their scouts suggest he is closer to Tyler Myers than Chris Pronger so that could make the Sens hesitant about taking him high.

I am now inclined to think that Luke Hughes is the d man that they would be highest on. Partly based on his skating but also because they like to draft out of the USNTDP, they like players with hockey families and given the success of Jack and Quin Hughes, the Sens might be more inclined to take him and on top of that Tkachuk is close friends with the Hughes brothers so there is that angle there. Maybe they would still draft Power but I could certainly see them passing on Power for Hughes.

Stylistically I think the Sens would really like Matt Beniers but that goes to your point of forward vs d. A good debate to have on here is who has the higher upside Matt Beniers or Luke Hughes? The answer to that question could determine who the Sens target.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Trent Mann seems pretty competent. They also took Jake Sanderson in the top five so that suggests they aren't opposed to taking a d man high.

I would have thought that Owen Power would be their key target on d given his size, skating ability and skill, but some of the public scouting services have questioned his toughness and compete level along with some of his decision making. The appeal of Power was that some considered him to be a Chris Pronger type without the nastiness and maybe some scouts are hoping he could develop that side. I think it was Dobber Prospects that had one of their scouts suggest he is closer to Tyler Myers than Chris Pronger so that could make the Sens hesitant about taking him high.

I am now inclined to think that Luke Hughes is the d man that they would be highest on. Partly based on his skating but also because they like to draft out of the USNTDP, they like players with hockey families and given the success of Jack and Quin Hughes, the Sens might be more inclined to take him and on top of that Tkachuk is close friends with the Hughes brothers so there is that angle there. Maybe they would still draft Power but I could certainly see them passing on Power for Hughes.

Stylistically I think the Sens would really like Matt Beniers but that goes to your point of forward vs d. A good debate to have on here is who has the higher upside Matt Beniers or Luke Hughes? The answer to that question could determine who the Sens target.

Trent Mann won't make the call to effectively tank for 2022

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Power has no issues I've seen with decision making - it's probably his best attribute. He's extremely poised.

But he definitely can be too casual at times. Doesn't move his feet enough and is more reactive than proactive on the defensive side.

Overall there's enough there to make him the favorite for #1. Massive kid with a very good skill level and IQ.

Hamilton could be a good comparable if his defensive game doesn't develop. Maybe Pietrangelo if it does.

I haven't seen a ton of him but it sounds like Hughes has top pairing upside. Beniers would have to end up a star forward to even compare to that value-wise, which I'm skeptical about.

Hughes also has played a decent amount at RD. Could potentially be paired with Chabot or Sanderson down the road.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Power has no issues I've seen with decision making - it's probably his best attribute. He's extremely poised.

But he definitely can be too casual at times. Doesn't move his feet enough and is more reactive than proactive on the defensive side.

Overall there's enough there to make him the favorite for #1. Massive kid with a very good skill level and IQ.

Hamilton could be a good comparable if his defensive game doesn't develop. Maybe Pietrangelo if it does.

I haven't seen a ton of him but it sounds like Hughes has top pairing upside. Beniers would have to end up a star forward to even compare to that value-wise, which I'm skeptical about.

Hughes also has played a decent amount at RD. Could potentially be paired with Chabot or Sanderson down the road.
Good call, I couldn’t put my finger on what it is about him that worries me but you absolutely nailed it.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hey BPA fans

What do you do?

Damn great minds think alike. Posted this a couple days ago.

I'm always a proponent of BPA. That being said it would be great to land our first round pick if it is a C (to play with Tim and Drake), a RW (to play with Brady and Norris) or a RD (so we have a competent one).

Top pairing RD
To 6 RW
Top 6 C

Major needs.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We've heard Mann and Dorion say multiple times in the past they don't care about the position or if its a organizational strength or weakness. They will draft BPA.

If thats a LD or LW so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad