Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Power has no issues I've seen with decision making - it's probably his best attribute. He's extremely poised.

But he definitely can be too casual at times. Doesn't move his feet enough and is more reactive than proactive on the defensive side.

Overall there's enough there to make him the favorite for #1. Massive kid with a very good skill level and IQ.

Hamilton could be a good comparable if his defensive game doesn't develop. Maybe Pietrangelo if it does.

I haven't seen a ton of him but it sounds like Hughes has top pairing upside. Beniers would have to end up a star forward to even compare to that value-wise, which I'm skeptical about.

Hughes also has played a decent amount at RD. Could potentially be paired with Chabot or Sanderson down the road.
What is your take on the Dobber Prospects reports on Owen Power?

They asked there scouts to write up their take on some of the top players so there are some different perspectives. You can find them here.
Scouting Point of View: NHL Draft Top-15 Roundtable

I will place all the Owen Power related write ups in quotes below:

Dylan Griffing
On the opposite side of the spectrum, Owen Power is a player that I’ve really struggled to get behind. Going back to last season with the Steel, he had so much freedom to roam around the ice because of how, dare I say, powerful that team was. His faults were going unnoticed because there was not a lot of pushback coming against Chicago, this made me very nervous for his NCAA rookie season. And, well, I was rightly nervous. Positively, he has a very strong shot and he is really effective in the neutral zone because of how much ice he covers. However, he cannot handle pressure at all. He makes poor judgments when the opposition closes him down. You can’t teach size, and Owen Power is huge, but he plays so soft that it’s not even an advantage for him. Am I completely against him in the top 10? No, there are clearly tools there that can be advantageous if he takes that next leap forward and gets smarter on the ice.

Samuel Tirpak
Owen Power is my second ranked player. The combination of puck skills, offensive dynamic, transitional qualities and size would likely make him prime candidate for first overall selection in July, but he has his own flaws which need to be worked on such as play under pressure, defensive positioning, defensive zone coverage and decision-making.

Mikael Holm
Owen Power is a very divisive defenseman that I’m sure my colleagues have already talked about. He’s great when he’s got time to gather some speed and use his skating to get out of tough situations. When he’s forced to pass the puck out of tough spots, he doesn’t deliver enough for me to put him higher.

Tony Ferrari
Power has the raw package that everyone covets in a blueliner but the decision-making and understanding how to deal with pressure worries me. I see more Tyler Myers in his game than Chris Pronger, who some have compared him to.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Hey BPA fans

Sens may not be quite there but at some point we are going to need to start drafting to fill in missing pieces.
1C, RD, RW are the biggest holes now..

Lets say Ottawa picks 3OA .. and ranks Hughes (LD) as their BPA in their 1st tier over Beniers or Clarke or Guenther .. who they have in their 2nd tier as a hypothetical.

What do you do?
Clarke or Hughes
When the puck comes out quick of our zone or doesn't enter then the Forwards we have will look a lot more dangerous
Problem now is we get pinned in the Dzone
Gudbranson,Brown ,Reilly are much more of a problem then Watson,Anisimov or Bishop
We need a solid D,

Last edited:

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
What is your take on the Dobber Prospects reports on Owen Power?

They asked there scouts to write up their take on some of the top players so there are some different perspectives. You can find them here.
Scouting Point of View: NHL Draft Top-15 Roundtable

I will place all the Owen Power related write ups in quotes below:

Dylan Griffing

Samuel Tirpak

Mikael Holm

Tony Ferrari

Wow, all similar comments. We need the opposite, someone who plays well under pressure.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Different positions but I would take Beniers over Power 10/10. I've watched Michigan play quite a few times> Power has size and some nice tools but I find him kind of too laid back .. not enough urgency.. and could impose his will more. He makes good reads offensively but he isn't going to wow you.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Powers vs Clarke reminds me of Byfield vs Stutzle.

I'd lean towards the higher skill player again.

Have not watched a lot of Clarke since last year .. Have to catch up on him. I want to see more of Luke Hughes as well. So much hockey going on these days and I do have a couple other things to do lol

Reactions: Alex1234

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Prokhor Poltapov at eliteprospects.com

Scouting Report: Prokhor Poltapov - Smaht Scouting
2021 NHL Draft Prospect Spotlight: Prokhor Poltapov - FCHockey
WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY
“Poltapov is an extremely talented player when he turns it on. But the problem is that he doesn’t turn it on enough… his offensive awareness is very high. He can read the gaps so well and isn’t afraid to drive the net. His edgework is excellent, allowing him to widen the gap between him and his defender and most of the time, he protects the puck well with both his stick and his body… Poltapov looks like he could be a high-risk, high-reward player.” – FCHockey’s crossover scout Josh Bell

“The first thing that stands out with Poltapov is his effort level and intensity at both ends of the ice. There are no wasted shifts for Poltapov during the game as he looks to make a mark whenever he is on the ice. Without the possession, he is a disruptive presence who is adept at stripping the opposition and turning turnovers into offence. He is a hound on the backcheck and is diligent in ensuring that he is on the right side of the puck. His combination of effort and smarts really serves him well in defensive coverage as he gives his mark very little time and space.” – FCHockey’s Western Canada scout Donesh Mazloum

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It’s time for another forward imo. Shouldn’t draft for need over BPA but we’re pretty much guaranteed to have one of the top 3 forwards in the draft with so many dmen rated highly so it’s not so bad..

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Different positions but I would take Beniers over Power 10/10. I've watched Michigan play quite a few times> Power has size and some nice tools but I find him kind of too laid back .. not enough urgency.. and could impose his will more. He makes good reads offensively but he isn't going to wow you.
They like high tempo guy, puck hound with IQ
Did you see Hughes yesterday waiting for the perfect timing to send Miller?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They like high tempo guy, puck hound with IQ
Did you see Hughes yesterday waiting for the perfect timing to send Miller?
Nice timing on the pass right at the blueline.
Beniers is that High tempo guy for sure. We may not be getting a true #1C but I could see him fitting in really well.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Poltapov has 52pts in 61 games in the MHL. He's obviously within range for our 2nd round pick but how do you interpret the numbers? Should we expect a 1st round pick to be a PPG in the MHL, or say play a few KHL or VHL games?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

what do you think of Kent Johnson?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
for me its Beniers or any of the Dmen, I feel like getting a top 5 pick this year is just a bonus/ house money pick at this point no real wrong answer. I do think Beniers will complete our forward core if we get him.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
From earlier this season.

2021 Draft Profile: C Matt Beniers - The Draft Analyst
Scouting Report
Season Review

Beniers has been a featured prospect in U.S. hockey circles for several years and for good reason — he continues to earn promotion after promotion while solidifying his reputation as one of the hardest workers you’ll ever find at any level. He produced two successful seasons with the NTDP, including a bump up to the vaunted 2001 group (Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras, Alex Turcotte, et al.) as a 16-year-old for the 2019 under-18 world championship and then serving as a top-six player for the 2019-20 NTDP. His initial NCAA commitment to Harvard was reversed in favor of Michigan after the ECAC suspended team sports in the wake of the pandemic, and the Wolverines couldn’t be happier — through Feb. 26, Beniers is tied for seventh among freshman with a 0.88 points-per-game average (16 points in 18 games), but nine of the 16 were primary points at 5v5. He’s also made significant improvements at the faceoff circle, winning 55 percent of his last 100 draws. Critical to his numbers was that he started out as the fourth-line center and is now firmly entrenched in the top six.
The leading entry on his pre-draft resume, however, was Berniers’ performance for Team USA at the 2021 under-20 world junior hockey championship, where he quickly went from depth-line consideration to a solidified role as the No. 2 center between wingers Matt Boldy and Cole Caufield. Not only did the Americans win gold, but Beniers’ work on the penalty kill and in late/close moments proved to be invaluable. Not surprisingly, it was after the tournament when many evaluators scurried to drive him up in the rankings (a tournament he produced only three points in seven games, mind you). Clearly, the young man’s efforts both on and off the puck were noticed.

Skating and Stickhandling
Beniers is a powerful and perfectly-balanced skater whose acceleration and violent stride can intimidate opponents at their own line. His style is a bit hunched and wide-based but the kid gets to top speed in only a few scraping steps. There is absolutely zero hesitation in his decision making once the puck is on his stick, and Beniers is more than capable of covering up in his own end before blasting through the neutral zone and into prime opposing real estate. His cutbacks are incredibly pronounced — if you blinked and missed the plume of ice shavings, you would have at least heard it. Basically, go look up the word “escapability” in the scout dictionary and you’ll find an image of Beniers with disheveled opponents in the background, as if they got hit by a twister. Puck possession, specifically the cycle game and keeping the puck down low, is a hallmark of Beniers’ game.

Shooting, Passing and Playmaking
Beniers has a nasty shot and quick release but he doesn’t use it as often as he should. Part of the reasoning is either his selflessness or willingness to go to the dirty areas in order to open up room for his wingers. With Michigan, we’re seeing his shot used more off of set plays, and his above-average accuracy has helped create second chances near the net. Beniers seems more comfortable with his forehand than backhand but his hands are quick enough to convert in tight areas with either side of his blade. His shooting percentage over his three combined seasons since 2018-19 is an impressive 18 percent (42 goals on 234 shots). As far as playmaking, Beniers is a highly-accurate passer no matter the distance, and the timing of his leads or outlets come in handy when assisting defensemen during breakouts. He’s also shown the ability to create bang-bang chances off the cycle or wall battle, and through traffic no less. His primary assists are most certainly earned, and on occasion he’ll pull off passes of the no-look or behind-the-back variety.

Defense and Physicality
Beniers is the best two-way forward in the draft for several reasons. He has been highly effective when used in late/close situations his entire junior career. Whether it’s on the penalty kill or protecting a lead with the opposing net empty, Beniers is exactly the type of center you want on the ice — relentless puck pursuit; heavy hitting within the rule book; and a willingness to sacrifice his body. He’s always starting and stopping between the weak and strong sides, and rarely will you find him out of position or blowing coverage. If you want to teach young kids on the importance of backchecking and what it should look like the second possession changes, have them sneak a peak at Beniers, who routinely buries his chin into his chest and pressures opponents with all his strength and energy. His faceoff success rate, once a point of contention for being in the high-30/low-40 percent range, seems to have been rectified, as was stated in the opening. Another prominent feature of Beniers’ play away from the puck is his ability to marry assertiveness with discipline — he hasn’t been whistled for a single penalty this season.

Hockey Sense
Beniers gets it, simple as that. It’s easy to label a kid a having a low ceiling because he excels on the defensive side, but Beniers doesn’t need to be coached all that much. He simply knows when to pick his spots rather than keep the spotlight on him while ignoring his linemates. Beniers is very mature for his age, not just for the way he carries himself on the ice but also for his team-first mindset and the energy he brings to the bench. Naturally, you cannot excel as a two-way forward without making consistent reads, anticipating gaps, or juggling multiple options in a second or two. Therefore, Beniers’ decision making should never be questioned for strategic approach he brings every shift.

NHL Projection
Top-line, all-situations center who delivers in the clutch. Beniers’ skill set is very similar to what we saw from Jonathan Toews in his 2005-06 draft year

Last edited:

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
In 10 years, Kent Johnson is gonna be the guy toe-dragging your 7 yr old son on the ODR. THAT guy.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I can't take the time currently to look back in the thread but I would be interested in seeing a highlight pack of Clarke in Slovakia, 14 points in 25 games for an 18 year old defenseman in a mens league seems pretty rad if you ask me! Also him being an Ottawa guy? he seems like the perfect fit for us!

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Shouldn't Cole Sillinger be getting a bit more attention?

I know points aren't everything but he went over PPG in the WHL in his D-1 year, and he currently has a better points-per-game in the USHL than Zegras did in his draft year

Is it his average skating that has people hesitant to put him in the top 10?

Cole Sillinger at eliteprospects.com

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Shouldn't Cole Sillinger be getting a bit more attention?

I know points aren't everything but he went over PPG in the WHL in his D-1 year, and he currently has a better points-per-game in the USHL than Zegras did in his draft year

Is it his average skating that has people hesitant to put him in the top 10?

Cole Sillinger at eliteprospects.com
He should be an auto top 10, people will say he's not a good enough skater, say he doesn't have the right technique, etc. I'd bet a lot, at the very worst, he will be an average NHL skater once he develops and works on his skating. He has a different skating style, that I'm sure will be addressed, and won't be difficult to mend.

A guy that smart, sees the ice so well, that good with the puck with the best shot in the draft, and has a great work ethic, is a guy any team should be betting on.

Sens have nobody that can shoot the puck like he can, not sure they ever have as a prospect

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Poltapov has 52pts in 61 games in the MHL. He's obviously within range for our 2nd round pick but how do you interpret the numbers? Should we expect a 1st round pick to be a PPG in the MHL, or say play a few KHL or VHL games?

I don't really care if the player did or did not play in the KHL or VHL. If the player did play in those leagues and did well, that is a positive, but if a player did not get the chance to play, it is not negative.

If the player has a fair sample of games, I likely would not select a sub PPG forward in the first round. It doesn't really matter what junior league the player is playing in.

I have seen Poltapov play, and he is a pretty solid player, but I think better options will exist in the first and second round.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I don't really care if the player did or did not play in the KHL or VHL. If the player did play in those leagues and did well, that is a positive, but if a player did not get the chance to play, it is not negative.

If the player has a fair sample of games, I likely would not select a sub PPG forward in the first round. It doesn't really matter what junior league the player is playing in.

I have seen Poltapov play, and he is a pretty solid player, but I think better options will exist in the first and second round.

Poltapov would be a great 2nd round target he's not a first round prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad