Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Wasnt it a 4th line vs 4th line shift in game 7?
dont know, and it doesnt matter ...you score a goal, you have momentum, the 4th line doesnt help you either maintain momentum, or prevent the other teams attack.
the 4th line played well, but, once we took the lead with 10 mins left, they should have been benched.
forget the fact that Keefe iced Gregor who was useless and a heathy scratch since deadline day.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm just not sure Berube should be the guy. His track record isn't great, and even in his Stanley Cup winning year, the Blues were a wreck before Christmas. They also had an outstanding Pietrangelo anchoring that blue line. I do like the fact he appears to be a hard liner and won't accept anything less than full effort most nights. I think they should take their time and see if Brind'Amour becomes available.
You do realize Berube took over in late November right?

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Flashy name (which is ironic given the type of player he was). I don't think it's anything more than that. Leafs fans love that he looks like a hard-ass. But his coaching record? Meh.
Sign me up for cooper however unlikely that actually is.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Something had to change in the face of regression and this sort of move is always among the easiest to make (which isn't intended to suggest that the firing of Keefe occurred without justification).

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
the leafs only pay him if he doesn't get a job elsewhere?
I also thought that if he takes a lower paying job, the Leafs are on the hook to pay the difference.

So say he made what 1.5 with the leafs, and sighs with PIT for 1... the Leafs own him 500k for the length of his Leafs contract.

I could be making that all up 🤣

Reactions: CincoHolio

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So far in terms of Hall of fame players turned President/GM Shanny is the worst

1. Sakic
2. Yzerman
3. Shanahan

If you expand to include a non hall of famer than Trevor Linden with the Cancuks would be the worst

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For sure they have, as they should, but I also want them to talk to many potential candidates. What's the rush in hiring someone immediately.
Many teams are interested in Berube and if he is your man, you could lose him if you wait too long. I suspect he has already been hired and Leafs will introduce him when they think the time is right. They can't do it now because fans will say they rushed it.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Hiring a rookie GM and coach when our window was opening was the biggest mistake Shanny could have made. 10 years is more than enough time to show you that he is a failure. Biggest accomplishment is tanking and winning the draft lottery. Complete idiot for buying into Dubas' vision.
Rookie President
Rookie GM
Rookie Coach
Rookie results

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Shanahan should 100% be gone along with the rest of the coaching staff. And that's just the start.

Just for shits and giggles, I'll be watching to see if Berube is on the TNT panel tonight. :naughty:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Quenville probably isnt available

He is looked at by some of the public as one step above a sexual assualter (I dont view it like this, but was reading some stuff on toronto maple leafs reddit and those guys dont want him anywhere near the team)

Not sure if Q could come back to toronto. To bright lights, and hes lost a lot of respect in fans/media eyes. He would need to go somewhere smaller I feel.

Berube is a decent coach though probably not going to make much of a difference than Keefe come playoff time

Reddit is so woke it’s not even funny, they can’t look at a situation with any objectivity at all. Reddit users are curated into a cult

Q had nothing to do with that bullshit in Chicago, he’s not at all involved.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Regarding who to blame between Keefe, Dubas, and the players, the answer is all 3.

You had a shit for brains rookie GM who refused to hold the players accountable, which lead to the players entitlement and becoming uncoachable, with a rookie shit for brains head coach.

You put these players with a better GM/coach combo in their formative NHL years and they'd be a lot better off. You put Keefe with a legitimate GM and respectable players and he looks slightly better.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Change had to be made. Too many frustrating decisions and getting outcoached in every playoff series failing to make adjustments to what other teams were doing.

The next coach needs to be a guy who commands a room and can motivate this group to go through a wall. Set a standard and make players accountable to that standard.

the only country boy club guy left is Shannanhan. Dubas and Keefe both let the players run the asylum and we can see how that worked out. Tre is not cut from that cloth and hopefully, the next coach is the same way...hard-nosed and no-nonsense

Next move is Shannahan being fired or moved away from hockey ops. Then Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh I certainly don't care one way or the other about what happens to him, probably all the assistance likely need to go.

I just think it's a bit interesting, and unfortunate for him in particular, if that's what happens given his history with Shanny and the team

Yeah I don’t know what his personal career track record has been like over the past number of years but he’ll probably need to get an AHL head coaching gig and rebuild himself. Don’t know if he’s been sidelined since 2014-15.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Five wasted years of Dubas and Keefe. Who could have seen that coming?

The master of the Shanaplan needs to be be held accountable for his incompetance. I wonder if the moron phones the core and tells them they are safe. #Embarassing.
I wouldn't say they failed, but I think the Dubas and Keefe era must be the most underachieving one in franchise history. One series win with all the talent at their disposal in their prime is unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad