Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I feel like in the nhl anyone over 6 ft can be listed as 6’2. I swear the different between 6’2 players and 6’3 players is gigantic

HA! So freaking true. The next tier is like the 5'9" mark - your basically a legally recognized little person if they have you listed anywhere lower than that.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Guenther with 2 goals and 4 points in first game back.

Playing style wise, he’s my pick for this team. Though I’d love the top IQ ability of Eklund I think Guenther has top line potential too and fits this team like a glove.
I think Mackenzie mentioned a couple of his scouts ranked him 1st overall

Reactions: aragorn

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I’m sold on trading our first rounder at the draft. We need someone who is ready to play now.

Naw we don't need someone ready to play now, it's still too early, and fast tracking the rebuild is going to cost us down the road. We're gonna need another 2years of growing pain for our recently drafted core pieces to develop and get comfortable, Stuetzle, Sanderson and other young prospects should get another 2-3 years minimum bef0re we can see what we have and what moves we need to make to address deficiencies. As painful as this season is, we really need to be patient and stay the course and not rush things at the expense of future success. We're already past the worst part and we should be on the ascent next season, we just have to get through the next 30 games or so and I think the worst will be behind us.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
So, after the 2023 draft to acquire that top end RHD if we draft two high-end forwards in 2021 and 2022 drafts?

So basically I'd say we are done the drafting part of the rebuild come 2022. For 2023 I think it's fair we make a push to the playoffs.

As for the RHD I think we can snag say Brandt Clarke, then in 2022 be in the hunt for Wright/Lambert/Savoie.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man, 2022 is stacked in top 5. I unfortunately don’t see us being bottom 5 bad next year... extremely unfortunate because getting one of those 3 would be enough to make us ready to challenge with the best of them. Hopefully we hit homerun with our 1st rounder this year. I think Luke Hughes has star, star potential. I see Guenther having highest ability from the forward groups.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Man, 2022 is stacked in top 5. I unfortunately don’t see us being bottom 5 bad next year... extremely unfortunate because getting one of those 3 would be enough to make us ready to challenge with the best of them. Hopefully we hit homerun with our 1st rounder this year. I think Luke Hughes has star, star potential. I see Guenther having highest ability from the forward groups.

Don't sleep on Eklund either, he has been taring it up in the SHL as an 18 year old. Also, regarding 2022 even if we draft in the 5-15 range there should still be some really good RHD available like Nemec and Salomonsson.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I just assumed Power or Clarke would be the top prospect but the more like into Eklund and Berniers, i'd be super happy if we got either of them (but only if we plan to play em as centres)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Don't sleep on Eklund either, he has been taring it up in the SHL as an 18 year old. Also, regarding 2022 even if we draft in the 5-15 range there should still be some really good RHD available like Nemec and Salomonsson.

Without a doubt. I am so high on Salomonsson, he would go top 3-5 this year. There's also Ostlund who is tearing it up at a higher rate than Raymond was and is also a C. Realistically, the top 10 are a remarkable group and could best last years and could rival 2003's draft. But Wright/Lambert/Savoie/Possibly Hughes are absolutely game breaking potential franchise forwards. That's only thing we really missing. I love Eklund and been huge fan of his IQ and potential but my recent viewings of him don't scream elite forward he's taken a bit of a dip, I'll keep a closer eye in the next couple of weeks. I think Hughes has star number 1 defense potential, he's a week away from being a 2022 prospect and just excellent 2 way man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Patrick

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
My issue with drafting another D top 5 is that potentially paying 3 defensemen 7-8 mil(Chabot,Sanderson,2021 pick) could prove problematic with regards to also having a good forward group

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My issue with drafting another D top 5 is that potentially paying 3 defensemen 7-8 mil(Chabot,Sanderson,2021 pick) could prove problematic with regards to also having a good forward group
Harder to find D men than forwards just trade one if they have to. Sens need to just only go BPA they are so far away we dont know what their actual weakness's are. I really havent seen enough of any of these players to make a logical decision on who I like and where they should rank. With no truly outstanding players they should just be pushing the draft to next year. Its the only fair way to do it for these kids, however it doesnt sound like they are going to which is really too bad.

Reactions: Cosmix and cudi

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Harder to find D men than forwards just trade one if they have to. Sens need to just only go BPA they are so far away we dont know what their actual weakness's are. I really havent seen enough of any of these players to make a logical decision on who I like and where they should rank. With no truly outstanding players they should just be pushing the draft to next year. Its the only fair way to do it for these kids, however it doesnt sound like they are going to which is really too bad.

Is there some news on this?
I saw 31 thoughts ; there are some exceptions to work out but .. to me it makes the most sense to try to move it.
"
• Would players drafted in December 2021 who make the NHL receive credit for a full service year towards arbitration and/or unrestricted free agency?
• A player taken from the CHL — and not signed within two years — goes back in the draft (as long as he is not older than 20). Will 2021–22 count as one season, even if the player is not selected until December 2021 or June 2022? This is even more challenging with 19-year-olds, since they cannot be re-drafted under this scenario.
"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We have to assume that Lodin is this teams one C. That really accelerates the rebuild. Maybe no need to count on 2022.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Galchenyuk will likely be available
Not many teams in the north would be able to keep up with Lodin-galchenyuk down the middle.

Jokes aside. Interesting article I read on galchenyuk written but a guy who used to work for the leafs and habs I think? Anyway he just writes in coaching and whatever. But basically, galchenyuks early injuries led him to change his skating (which was not good to begin with) and the new technique is not something practiced is just some over compensations. And anyway theory is this led to his decline. The leafs have noticed this and right now are solely working one on one with him to fix his skating.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Either way for 2021 we are set. I'm leaning however towards Clarke, Guenther, Johnson and Eklund. I'm however prepared for us to be drafting 4th overall.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Either way for 2021 we are set. I'm leaning however towards Clarke, Guenther, Johnson and Eklund. I'm however prepared for us to be drafting 4th overall.

Im hoping the draft gets pushed back so we know where we draft in 2022 before making our 2021 selection. If we are in that 10-15 range in 2022 and top 5 in 2021 I think we take a forward with the higher pick. If both picks are top 5 I think we try to grab our defencemen in 2021 as the forward talent in 2022 is way higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad