Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
I think Kent Johnson is going to be a special player. The way he processes the game offensively is elite IMO. If we're going to keep Stutzle at LW (which I wouldn't be opposed to), Johnson would be a good option for our future 1C.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think Kent Johnson is going to be a special player. The way he processes the game offensively is elite IMO. If we're going to keep Stutzle at LW (which I wouldn't be opposed to), Johnson would be a good option for our future 1C.

I agree with you. Not to mention think of how much of an advantage we'd have with his development. Imagine 2 of college maybe 3(due to spreading out contracts).

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Obviously it's waaaay too early to discuss this but assuming we draft in the bottom 3 for 2021 and 2022 how would you handle them getting ice time?

Like imagine Brandt Clarke and/or Kent Johnson for 2021 and let's say one of Wright, Savoie and Lambert making the team in the same year. Having to extend Stutzle, 2021 and 2022 plus Sanderson Pinto JBD and potentially Kleven not to mention our current core of players is gonna be a head scratcher.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Obviously it's waaaay too early to discuss this but assuming we draft in the bottom 3 for 2021 and 2022 how would you handle them getting ice time?

Like imagine Brandt Clarke and/or Kent Johnson for 2021 and let's say one of Wright, Savoie and Lambert making the team in the same year. Having to extend Stutzle, 2021 and 2022 plus Sanderson Pinto JBD and potentially Kleven not to mention our current core of players is gonna be a head scratcher.

Wow what an amazing problem to have

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well wright and lambert are probably in our top 6 starting game 1. (I haven’t watched or read anything on savoie, I just know he’s in the grouping).

whoever we draft in 21 is probably not ready right away unless the draft is also next year and their rookie year is 22-23.
Remember dadonov is only here for 3 years so that’s a top 6 spot. I don’t think norris will solidify himself as a top center.

so 22-23 season

Tkatchuk wright batherson

stutzle White dadonov

Chabot zub
Sanderson brannstrom
Kleven-Clarke?

something like that

Last edited:

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Something I didn't consider is if the draft happens in 2022 does that mean that the team would retain control of a college player for a year after they finish school, avoiding the college free agent loophole?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

No way this team should be drafting that low in 2022

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I hope we have a fun second half but still finish low this year.

Next year, a bit better, and some lottery luck. Seems like a long shot, but so was the come back last night :)

Then we are ready to launch.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Sorry but we need some more high end players. Drafting in the top 3 for 2022 is super important.
My heart says that I'd hate to see Chabot and Tkachuk go through ANOTHER bad year after this one.

My head says that a Stutzle-Wright-Guenther line would be amazing.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
My heart says that I'd hate to see Chabot and Tkachuk go through ANOTHER bad year after this one.

That would be amazing but something is wrong if this team finishes that low again. They will have too much talent next year to be that bad. We’re already seeing what they can play like over the past few weeks

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Heart is irrelevant head is all that matters. Short term pain long term gain. I want a team that CAN compete in the playoffs not a first round exit like in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015. A rebuild is usually a few years of sucking. That said I get the not sucking part.

Sadly when we had our "rebuild" in 2011 it wasn't a well rounded rebuild and we just got stuck in mediocrity with an ehh future.

I'd see a RHD preferably one that can play on the top pairing as an area of importance of we get Guenther and one of Wright/Lambert/Savoie. (I have JBD with Sanderson projected on the 2nd pairing).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We have 34 million of cap space next year (24 million of cap space if we spend similar to this year) with only Tkachuk and Zub of significance to re-sign.

Liberally, we have 12 million dollars to add for a stop gap 6 C and top 4 defender.

Chabot-6 million
Brannstrom-Zaitsev
Sanderson/Wolanin-Zub

Tkachuk-6 million-Batherson
Stutzle-Norris-Dadonov
Paul-Pinto-White
Formenton-Kelly-Brown
Watson

And thats with 10 million of cap still available.... if Melnyk is true to his word, he is spending to the cap 2 years from now(he promised next year but as you can see above, we really dont even need it to severely upgrade 2 positions and probably be incredibly better + our guys developing).

TL;DR: By simply allocating our expiring UFA contracts for 2 significant assets + development of our current young guys, we should be able to compete for playoffs next year, let alone finish bottom 5.

So the million dollar question is, do we bring in 2 assets that we can(AND SHOULD) or we stay in the bottom for a franchise asset added to this core? I think the latter could be more detrimental(think Oilers).

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Im not sure the team is bad enough for top 3 but it certainly will still be quite likely to finish in the bottom 10. Barring huge leaps from the defence and top 6 we will likely have a lot of rookies and not enough skill to consistently score the kind of goals we need in order to make up for our deficiencies on D. I think next year will be a lot of 1 goal game losses interspersed with Stützle dominating and dragging us to the W. A team just slightly above or below .500 which i think is most likely usually lands in the 8-11 range of the draft.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

yes, I’m down with that...
This is a Cup winning group of talent.

Stutzle Wright Guenther
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Paul Pinto Dadonov
Formenton White Brown
Greig

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Brannstrom
Kleven JBD

Murray
Daccord

Extras:
L Brown
Tierney
Watson
Chlapik
Wolanin
Reilly

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk-wright-guenther
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-Greig

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-JBD
Kleven-Brannstrom

I'm willing to tolerate sucking for another season for a shot at Wright. Although Lambert and Savoie are acceptable options.

Also what are your thoughts on having equal odds for the first overall with the other last place teams in the division?

Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
San Jose

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Tkachuk-wright-guenther
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-Greig

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-JBD
Kleven-Brannstrom

I'm willing to tolerate sucking for another season for a shot at Wright. Although Lambert and Savoie are acceptable options.

Also what are your thoughts on having equal odds for the first overall with the other last place teams in the division?

Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
San Jose

Super lame if we end up last in the league, otherwise its ok. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad