Prospect Info: 2021 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We need an RHD imo

We need a good RD now, but I wouldn't go out of my way to draft one if they aren't the BPA.

We have Zaitsev signed for 3 more years, Zub and JBD. Plus Thomson who I think is probably a bust but will get chances to make it due to his draft position.

Definitely not as strong as the left side but unless JBD busts I don't think it will be a big issue with Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom carrying the pairings from the left side.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The two things that worry me about Beniers is firstly that everyone is comparing him to Toews when talking about the player he could be because they have a similar drive and motor while ignoring the fact that Toews flashed some crazy high end skill early on (though he regularly played a more defensive role during their cup runs he could still take over offensively when needed) which Beniers hasn't really shown yet. It was Toews high level of skill that allowed him to be so "clutch" in the playoffs.

Secondly, I'm very hesitant to say that he has first line upside which I think you need to be trying to get if you're picking in the top 5. A guy like Guenther or Eklund or even Johnson have so far shown their ability to produce the kind of puck skills to allow them to play on a top line. While Beniers high end skill is largely derived from his defensive play (which is much harder to project into mens leagues) and his drive/motor (also much harder to project how effective it will be into mens leagues). Yes he has still produced a lot of 5v5 points this year and I don't want to diminish too much his accomplishments, but he is also playing on a stacked Michigan squad that is going to put up a lot of points.

I am willing to eat crow on it but if we picked Beniers in the top 5 I would be a bit concerned that we end up with not necessarily a Lazar type bust but a player who is only moderately better than the Norris's and Pinto's we already have and doesn't have the kind of game breaking ability you need to be in contention for a Stanley cup.

We need another top line player, preferably a high scoring. play-making, fast of foot, center.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wheeler: Top 64 prospects for the 2021 NHL Draft at midseason

Not a huge Wheeler fan at all but ...
His top 10
Power
Johnson
Clarke
Hughes
Beniers
Edvinsson
Eklund
Guenther
Wallstedt
Sillinger

About Johnson
Wolverines associate head coach Bill Muckalt on Johnson: “Kent is uber skilled. It’s hard for me to give an honest assessment of the other players but I would have a hard time believing there’s anybody more skilled offensively than Kent Johnson in this draft. The shit he does offensively, you only see it once every four or five years. But he’s physically the least mature of our freshman as far as our strength and he’s playing against guys some nights that are seven-to-eight years older, so it makes it difficult on him. But he does highlight reel stuff. Where (Matt) Beniers has this motor that is just 200 feet, Kent is more artistic and creative, and more high-risk. But he’s going to be like a (Elias) Pettersson or a (Patrick) Kane.”

If the draft gets pushed.. Johnson could benefit .. getting the experience and increasing his strength. Beniers combines good skill with a great motor and does play the 200 foot game.. but Johnson has got that extra special something that can bring you out of your seat.. not nearly as complete a player as Beniers and probably never will be but I can't wait to see him in a year's time.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
We need a good RD now, but I wouldn't go out of my way to draft one if they aren't the BPA.

We have Zaitsev signed for 3 more years, Zub and JBD. Plus Thomson who I think is probably a bust but will get chances to make it due to his draft position.

Definitely not as strong as the left side but unless JBD busts I don't think it will be a big issue with Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom carrying the pairings from the left side.
Guénette will make a case for himself.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
About Johnson
Wolverines associate head coach Bill Muckalt on Johnson: “It’s hard for me to give an honest assessment of the other players but I would have a hard time believing there’s anybody more skilled offensively than Kent Johnson in this draft. The shit he does offensively, you only see it once every four or five years.”

He went on to say:

"And I know offence, because I admired it extensively from afar. Interestingly, Kent Johnson was born the year I didn't score a single goal in a 70 game season for the Ottawa Senators. I'm convinced that all of my offensive acumen was sucked into that child. He's the Chosen One, and I gladly sacrificed my skill for his benefit."

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’d say our needs are as followed

1x RW top six
1x C top line
1x RHD who can play with cohabit.
I agree & that's why I want the Sens to draft Dylan Guenther RW with their first pick & Roman Schmidt RD with their second pick & Jayden Grubbe RW with their next pick in the 2021 draft. One of Beniers or Johnson would also address the top line centre spot, but Ottawa already has Norris & White at centre with potential for Stutzle & Paul to move to centre plus the posibility of L. Brown & Pinto making the team at centre at some point. The need is greater at RW & RD IMO

Reactions: Emrasie

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I agree & that's why I want the Sens to draft Dylan Guenther RW with their first pick & Roman Schmidt RD with their second pick & Jayden Grubbe RW with their next pick in the 2021 draft. One of Beniers or Johnson would also address the top line centre spot, but Ottawa already has Norris & White at centre with potential for Stutzle & Paul to move to centre plus the posibility of L. Brown & Pinto making the team at centre at some point. The need is greater at RW & RD IMO

I personally think we will be bad next year so I was gonna suggest Guenther and Schmidt this year and then for 2022 we can snag one of Wright/Lambert/Savoie.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Timmy will be our number 1 C

I'd like to have a 1A/1B type of situation kinda like how the pens have Crosby/Malkin.

Tkachuk-Wright/Lambert/Savoie-Guenther
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Greig

Like swap Stutzle with Norris and it's the same thing. It gives us much more flexibility.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Schmidt is a giant. I see he played for the Jr 67’s? Any idea on what the Ottawa ties are?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
BondraTime had been mentioning Cole Huckins a while back as a potential mid round target. Here is a compilation of his play this season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With possibility of us getting a top 3 pick this year and maybe missing out on one next year, I really hope the draft is pushed back to at least December so we can see more of the guys. Stutzle, Sanderson and Greig are looking like brilliant picks. We need to hit the next one right so we can afford to miss out on a potential franchise top 3 pick in 2022 if we don't get that opportunity.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The player I hope we get. Anchoring the RD, our D would be the best in the NHL. We could roll out 2 top pairings. Could probably play and entire NHL season with just 4 D. Melnyck would save 2 salaries

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Clarke

If not him, a dynamic winger. Stuz is moving to C so RW or LW is good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad