Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah I am high on him. Team Canada coach Dave Barr compared him to Ryan O'Reilly. When watching him at the U18 tournament I very much see a Ryan O'Reilly/Mark Stone type. I also see some comparisons to Brady Tkachuk in terms of his intensity and physicality. Much like Tkachuk I think he is being undervalued and underappreciated coming into the draft. McTavish plays like a captain and he looks like he would fit in perfectly with the identity the Sens are trying to build.

An added plus is that not only is he from Carp but he has also played his whole junior hockey career in the Ottawa region. From the Ottawa Valley Titans U14 and U15 AAA to the Pembroke Lumber Kings U18 AAA and Pembroke Lumber Kings of the CCHL to the Peterborough Petes in the OHL.

I would think that the Sens are very high on him and I think he would be a great player to add to this organization.

He seems like a tailor-made Sens pick. From what I've seen in my limited viewings he's basically a slightly more talented and physical Shane Pinto, who also happens to be from Ottawa.

I don't like comparisons to O'Reilly and Stone given that he's much more of a pure sniper than either of them. Both O'Reilly and Stone have always had more assists than goals, while McTavish has had more goals than assists in each of his last 5 seasons. Might be overselling his playmaking ability by comparing him to those guys.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He seems like a tailor-made Sens pick. From what I've seen in my limited viewings he's basically a slightly more talented and physical Shane Pinto who happens to be from Ottawa.

I don't like comparisons to O'Reilly and Stone given that he's much more of a pure sniper than either of them. Both O'Reilly and Stone have always had more assists than goals, while McTavish has had more goals than assists in each of his last 5 seasons. Might be overselling his playmaking ability by comparing him to those guys.
Good point. It might be worth taking a closer look at his playmaking ability to see how well it compares. From the U18 games he had some really impressive passes so maybe his playmaking ability is being overlooked. He is excellent at tracking the puck and his one ice awareness of where the opponents are on the ice and where his linemates are was really impressive in this tournament. I think one thing that makes the ROR and Stone comparison work is that with those kinds of players there are lots of subtle details that make them great which are easy to overlook. This might be common with high IQ players as it takes a bit of work to fully appreciate that aspect of the game.

Passes like this are a good example of a skillset that some might overlook when watching and evaluating McTavish.

If you re-watch the U18 games and key in on McTavish I think you might find his playmaking and passing to be pretty impressive. Here are links to those games:
Canada vs Sweden Semi Final Game

Canada vs Czech Republic Quarter Final Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZP9gCsV5dU

Canada vs Belarus Preliminary Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZQayi0HsHg

Canada vs Switzerland Preliminary Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We046Mbv1f4&t=428s

Canada vs Latvia Preliminary Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmnjXOScklI

Canada vs Sweden Preliminary Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9sg4Ih4JAI&t=2142s

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Good point. It might be worth taking a closer look at his playmaking ability to see how well it compares. From the U18 games he had some really impressive passes so maybe his playmaking ability is being overlooked. He is excellent at tracking the puck and his one ice awareness of where the opponents are on the ice and where his linemates are was really impressive in this tournament. I think one thing that makes the ROR and Stone comparison work is that with those kinds of players there are lots of subtle details that make them great which are easy to overlook. This might be common with high IQ players as it takes a bit of work to fully appreciate that aspect of the game.

I don't think his playmaking ability is a problem, but 4 seasons worth of games is a much better sample size than 7 games.

Hockey IQ doesn't appear to be an issue either, but he's a shoot-first guy for sure. Saw lots of smart plays from him at the U18s, but also saw some opportunities to make a play to create a higher percentage scoring chance passed up to shoot the puck instead.

May be a better fit on the wing going forward. Can count the number of shoot-first NHL centermen on one hand.

From what I've seen someone like Anders Lee or Nino Niederreiter might be a better comparison.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m on the McTavish train big time. So positionally sound and fits DJ to a tee. I’m assuming Clarke, Guenther, Hughes and Beniers are gone before we pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I found Clarke to be one of the best players in the tournament. Poise .. puck skills. IQ is all there.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Aleksi Heimosalmi RD Finland could be a target in the 2nd round. His stock has rose from the U18 tournament

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I found Clarke to be one of the best players in the tournament. Poise .. puck skills. IQ is all there.

I only watched games Clarke participated in. It yeah a couple notches ahead of everyone

mentioned yesterday ceulemens. RD. Looks more comfortable as the tourny went on and I thought was really good yesterday.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He played with Mark Kastelic last season so the Sens might already be familiar with him. He finished with a point per game production in the WHL this year.
Sean Tschigerl at eliteprospects.com

Here is an old scouting report from 2018 on him
Sean Tschigerl is a tenacious two-way forward who plays with a competitive nature. A natural leader off the ice and on the ice. Tschigerl exemplifies what a hard working all around forward looks like, he’s a player who leads by example and doesn’t give up on plays. Tschigerl possesses a non stop motor, he loves to throw his weight around physically and outwork the opposition in one on one situations. He plays with an abundance of energy, constantly engaged in the play and shows urgency in all aspects of the game. A gritty forward who is physically matured well for his age. He can play with a bit of bite and nastiness to his game. As a net front presence Tschigerl is tough to contain for defenders, he has a solid frame and he is capable of planting it in front of a goaltender and screen effectively while batting down pucks. Shows he can be a proven finisher around the net, he’s first to loose pucks and has an explosive first reaction on pucks. Skating wise he has a long powerful stride, his acceleration remains around average but he can reach a dynamic top speed. A powerful body, Tschigerl uses his strength/power and tenacious puck handling to sift his way through lanes. Tschigerl can be elusive at times as well showing agile puck work in traffic, he maneuvers his way around the offensive zone. Without the puck Tschigerl is often all over the offensive zone, at times planting his strong frame in the slot. He displays a wicked release on a heavy shot that can often burn goalies before they can react. His all around game shines as he is constantly engages and aware, even defensively he back-checks harder than anyone else and supports his defenders in his defensive zone. Tschigerl has a skilled stick that can create turnovers, an excellent puck transitioning forward who can create chances on the rush. Tschigerl brings all those necessary components to a team’s future captain, he’s a player who you love having on your team but hate playing against.

Tschigerl is a low risk, high reward type of pick. He doesn’t have any true weaknesses to his game but can work on becoming more consistent. He brings pro level intangibles and elite work ethic to a teams locker room. Tschigerl’s not going to be a player who puts up 100+ points in the WHL but he will do whatever he can for his team to win. I’d bet on Tschigerl having no problems translating his game to the WHL as a 16 year old. He elevates his game against tougher/older competition. Tschigerl’s game compares well to a player like Tanner Jeannot.
Coaches Quote: “Sean Is the most complete player I hav ever seen at that age. His compete level and daily practice habits are through the roof. His leadership is strengthened by his ability to raise his teammates compete level in practices and games by challenging them to match his. He is incredibly mature and wise beyond his years. I have no doubt he will be able to translate his already pro habits and preparation into a career in the game.” – Sean Beissel (Head Coach – OHA Edmonton Bantam Prep)
Prospect Profile: Sean Tschigerl - DraftGeek

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
most interesting thing he said is there might not be a top line forward or toppairing Dman in the entire draft. He went over the guys with potential but said even Power has holes on his game and could end up just being a top 4 guy who is steady.

I thought his comments on Edvinsson , Heimosalmi, McTavish and Othmann were interesting. Pretty sure he said Clarke could be a top pairing Dman. Did anyone in the top 5 last year have holes in their game? or the year before that or the year before that?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I thought his comments on Edvinsson , Heimosalmi, McTavish and Othmann were interesting. Pretty sure he said Clarke could be a top pairing Dman. Did anyone in the top 5 last year have holes in their game? or the year before that or the year before that?

he said Clarke could be a top pairing guy - but I think his larger point that there is no elite talent and the 2nd round picks could end up being S good as the top picks. Lots of good player that’s I’ll help Ottawa but don’t expect a Sanderson or Stuz this year, we’ll be getting a 2nd line player or 2nd line Dman

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
he said Clarke could be a top pairing guy - but I think his larger point that there is no elite talent and the 2nd round picks could end up being S good as the top picks. Lots of good player that’s I’ll help Ottawa but don’t expect a Sanderson or Stuz this year, we’ll be getting a 2nd line player or 2nd line Dman
Agree they won't get a player as good as either .. they likely pick in the 8-10 range given the current standings and how they have played to close out the year. And the draft just isn't as strong.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Agree they won't get a player as good as either .. they likely pick in the 8-10 range given the current standings and how they have played to close out the year. And the draft just isn't as strong.

could be like the 2019 draft (Thomson, Pinto, Sogard) were the top pick is underwhelming but helps your depth and the 2nd round picks are the ones that end up being the best players and most exciting picks

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
man it really sucks that we're a crappy team during a year like this where its hard to measure talent. I'm fine for the draft being similar to 2019 where we are a bit unsure, but the depth of the picks has quality. Still think we'll need a top 5 pick in 2022 to round out our core

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Player I was most impressed with without a doubt was Edvinsson. You can see why he was ranked 2nd overall by MacKenzie preseason and midseason draft rankings. He was a factor in every zone and has that Ekblad/Chabot ice in his veins factor to his game. Really was impressed.

To me, he showed top pair potential no doubt.

McTavish does seem to fit the Sens to a T. I agree with RAFI that he has that Tkachuk character and Hale saying he looks like a more skilled Pinto, which is a legit top 6 C. Clarke was also very good.

Ottawa definitely has options in the top 10. Picks 3-4-5 could end up better than 1-2-3.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020

He was somewhat exposed in the final game though, on the 1st goal, and a lot of stickchecking in his own zone when playing the body would have eliminated the play.

Lots of nice talents, but similar to a lot of our peripheral defensemen. Our need is a solid physical and mobile presence to complement Chabot and Sanderson, otherwise we will wind up learning the hard lessons the Leafs had in prior seasons, before they moved on to the Muzzin/Holl/Bogosian types that have let them shut down the likes of McDavid and Winnipeg's large forward group.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
What are people's thoughts on Kent Johnson? I don't know much about him; I am assuming he's fast and super skilled without much physicality. He could be there when we pick but he's probably not a DJ player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad