2021 Draft - 4th Pick: Matvei Petrov (F)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You were pretty quiet when Hyman managed to hold the puck for like 40 seconds to close out a win.
When he does something I like I'll race to the keyboard and show some love.
moonisajedi-skinny.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is a question for people who have watched him more but like, what COULD hold him back from the NHL? Like is there anything in his game at this point that he needs to massively work on to make it? Cause from what I have seen unless he is peaking right now, he will be an NHLer.
@snipes hit it out of the park 2 years in a row in hoping that we drafted Savoie and then Petrov. He could see the talent in both guys, yet amateur scouts for the most part blew it with these 2 young men.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
@snipes hit it out of the park 2 years in a row in hoping that we drafted Savoie and then Petrov. He could see the talent in both guys, yet amateur scouts for the most part blew it with these 2 young men.
Scoring in Junior and the NCAA doesn't mean diddly squat if they don't have what it takes to reach the NHL. I'll believe it when I see it and not a second before.

You should stop torturing yourself and follow suit. How many times are you willing to be fooled? You should be mad as hell at the prognosticators and crystal ball gazers when they miss. Hold their feet to the fire.
dancing-antifa-fire.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Scoring in Junior and the NCAA doesn't mean diddly squat if they don't have what it takes to reach the NHL. I'll believe it when I see it and not a second before.

You should stop torturing yourself and follow suit. How many times are you willing to be fooled? You should be mad as hell at the prognosticators and crystal ball gazers when they miss. Hold their feet to the fire.
dancing-antifa-fire.gif
They have NHL level skills (shots for sure) which is more than can be said of many of the kids that get drafted. There are no guarantees, but both are trending in the right direction so far at least.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Both Petrov and Savoie were ranked much higher than where they eventually went. Can't really say it was bad scouting but maybe the GMs preferred a different skillset.
Both are high 2nd round talent and Petrov looked just as good as Bourgault at training camp.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

dancing-antifa-fire.gif
Why even come into prospect threads? “Who care about prospects till they make the NHL”. Good grief

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Guys, if you stop feeding it, it will go away. Stop giving it the attention it craves.

To get this back on topic, I think the Oilers lucked out in the sense that this was a Covid draft with far less scouting than normal drafts so there seemed to be a better shot at collecting late round steals than a normal draft. I remember some of our HFOil scouts @snipes and a few others were screaming for the Oilers to take Petrov since their 3rd round pick really so kudos to those guys.

What I like about Petrov beyond the goal scoring is that he's a hard working player that plays a 2 way game (from what I've read), that's probably what separates him from Kirill Maxsimov for example. Does anybody know when he's AHL eligible? I'd really like to see him in the pros next season.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Says the fanboy of a potential bust.. or maybe you are the fan of just his 'speed' and not the player
Nope. I agree. The trajectory for Broberg is in doubt. His developmental speed moving towards the NHL is... coasting in neutral. I also have some doubts about Skinner and Holloway.

Show me some posts where I went fanboy for Broberg. Good luck. I posted a positive comment or two about him but I can't remember the last time I mentioned the player. Point is I never got obsessed. When the fan base gets preoccupied with unproven commodities it's a tell about the state of the organization. It's called wishful thinking. A form of self-deception egged on by sycophantic media propagation.

Broberg shouldn't be untouchable on the trade market. If a good deal comes along management should move him. I don't mean give him away but if the value is there it's decision time. Maybe in part of a package that could produce some cap relief to keep our top 6 wingers or fill any other position of weakness.

None of our magic beans should be untouchable. The argument that we need good young players on ELCs is weak when you can't see any outstanding qualities in the players in your prospect pool. I'd rate our prospect pool as league middling.

We probably should have moved Samorukov. I was never high on the player but held my tongue... because you get your neck jumped on for taboo speak.

When it comes to the NHL I'm only a fanboy of getting rid of Gary Bettman as commissioner so the NHL can move towards being a more respectable league. I believe he's basically a crook but that's another topic.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nope. I agree. The trajectory for Broberg is in doubt. His developmental speed moving towards the NHL is... coasting in neutral. I also have some doubts about Skinner and Holloway.

Show me some posts where I went fanboy for Broberg. Good luck. I posted a positive comment or two about him but I can't remember the last time I mentioned the player. Point is I never got obsessed. When the fan base gets preoccupied with unproven commodities it's a tell about the state of the organization. It's called wishful thinking. A form of self-deception egged on by sycophantic media propagation.

Broberg shouldn't be untouchable on the trade market. If a good deal comes along management should move him. I don't mean give him away but if the value is there it's decision time. Maybe in part of a package that could produce some cap relief to keep our top 6 wingers or fill any other position of weakness.

None of our magic beans should be untouchable. The argument that we need good young players on ELCs is weak when you can't see any outstanding qualities in the players in your prospect pool. I'd rate our prospect pool as league middling.

We probably should have moved Samorukov. I was never high on the player but held my tongue... because you get your neck jumped on for taboo speak.

When it comes to the NHL I'm only a fanboy of getting rid of Gary Bettman as commissioner so the NHL can move towards being a more respectable league. I believe he's basically a crook but that's another topic.
That's fine, these are your opinions which likely differ from others. No need to stop others from being 'fanboys'. If they want to get excited about shiny prospects having an outstanding season then so be it. The Oiler I am vocally not too high on has 50 goals in NHL already (this season) ;)

Reactions: oilers'72

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Isn't this what you are doing by call people fanboys ? You also are crapping on young players . They are diddly squat if they don't make the NHL ? I guess we can say if you don't beat Elon Musk to Mars you done diddly squat as you always think you are the smartest person on HF . Sorry I didn't realize you were Kevin Lowe . Delusion of grandeur ?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Isn't this what you are doing by call people fanboys ? You also are crapping on young players . They are diddly squat if they don't make the NHL ? I guess we can say if you don't beat Elon Musk to Mars you done diddly squat as you always think you are the smartest person on HF . Sorry I didn't realize you were Kevin Lowe . Delusion of grandeur ?
This. Parents (especially in Canada) gladly spend a very large portion of their income and time on their kids dreaming their kid one day reaches the level of a Petrov. The kids pretty much have no life outside of hockey and training even at lower tiers. Only a couple in a million+ actually get to the level of Petrov or a Broberg.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3