2021 Draft - 4th Pick: Matvei Petrov (F)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know if I wouldn't give all the people in the Russia a free pass in this. Sure, there are lots who disagree and are paying for it right now. But hard to say how many have been brainwashed and are all for the activities happening now.
Fair points. I don't know how many are backing their leader's decisions.

Reactions: oilers'72

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
But you didnt need a larger sample size before you started calling him a bust lol.

Trade future draft picks. Why would you trade prospects who are showing good nhle post draft. That is rare for oiler prospects as most of us should know.

Bourgalt, Broberg, Holloway, Savoie and Petrov are all showing good and shouldnt be traded to get rid of a cap dump. It doesnt make any sense, good teams dont make moves like that.

Paying with the futures to always keep your head just above water, until next wrong move is like stamping in thick mud. I agree with Holland here. For no price getting off with the future.

The only one I would move is Benson, I dont think he will be a regular here.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Could imagine that release on McDavids right wing?

Yes, I can picture it and it looks sweet. I think that Petrov is a left winger though-- and just watching him he reminds me of Bossy. Not huge and not a burner but has that incredible release.

As great as Mc-D and Drai are--neither are what I call a "pure sniper." In fact I don't think the team really has one. Maybe (its still a big maybe) Petrov is that guy.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think Petrov is a wingwetype beside Draisaotl or Nuge. McDavid plays happily alongside rough powerforwards. Depending on Petrov all around game ofC. Kane is a good one, Puljujärvi could though be upgraded.
The only prpspect I imagine plays along McDavid would be Holloway.

Reactions: Anarchism

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think Petrov is a wingwetype beside Draisaotl or Nuge. McDavid plays happily alongside rough powerforwards. Depending on Petrov all around game ofC. Kane is a good one, Puljujärvi could though be upgraded.
The only prpspect I imagine plays along McDavid would be Holloway.
Even Holloway I’m not sure he has the finishing ability. Never really shown that at any level. McD D is a tricky player to play with.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
fail-dick.gif

McSendy

Nov 29, 2017
Is there anything not to like about Petrov? Honest question.

I watch the highlights and see top end offensive potential, probably more so than any of the Oilers other prospects currently. Savoie is small and slowish, Holloway doesn't seem to have high end finishing ability, Lavoie doesn't move nearly as well with the puck on his stick, etc.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is there anything not to like about Petrov? Honest question.

I watch the highlights and see top end offensive potential, probably more so than any of the Oilers other prospects currently. Savoie is small and slowish, Holloway doesn't seem to have high end finishing ability, Lavoie doesn't move nearly as well with the puck on his stick, etc.

Bourgault? He is clearly in a tier higher than everybody else for offensive ability. I do agree with your opinion on the other players though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How the hell did Petrov go so late. Like this isn't even a kid who is taking a few to produce great at that level like..... its wild.
This draft is so wild with how incredible a lot of the later first round picks are compared to the earlier ones.
I definitely see this as one of those drafts where the redraft is going to be hilarious.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
How the hell did Petrov go so late. Like this isn't even a kid who is taking a few to produce great at that level like..... its wild.
This draft is so wild with how incredible a lot of the later first round picks are compared to the earlier ones.
I definitely see this as one of those drafts where the redraft is going to be hilarious.

Even better is how the Leafs could have drafted this kid but chose to be petty instead. If he keeps on his post-draft pace he’s going to end up on some “what could have been” lists

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Even better is how the Leafs could have drafted this kid but chose to be petty instead. If he keeps on his post-draft pace he’s going to end up on some “what could have been” lists
This is a question for people who have watched him more but like, what COULD hold him back from the NHL? Like is there anything in his game at this point that he needs to massively work on to make it? Cause from what I have seen unless he is peaking right now, he will be an NHLer.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This is a question for people who have watched him more but like, what COULD hold him back from the NHL? Like is there anything in his game at this point that he needs to massively work on to make it? Cause from what I have seen unless he is peaking right now, he will be an NHLer.

Maybe it was the “Russian” bias? Which should have been mitigated a bit by him playing in the CHL. Otherwise I have no idea. Could be the sporadic scouting

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't even know how we ended up drafting him. With all the restrictions going on last year seems odd we found a kid out of Russia and not from the KHL either

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe it was the “Russian” bias? Which should have been mitigated a bit by him playing in the CHL. Otherwise I have no idea. Could be the sporadic scouting
ITs wild. He is literally doubling his production from the MHL last year.
I do remember that his favorite player is McDavid and he said his favorite NHL team was Edmonton so maybe him being a sniper thinking about the chance to get McDavid feeds has got him just constantly motivated lol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Its kind of weird because he was projected to go higher (92 on McKenzie's list). Hes a big kid, so he doesnt have that going against him. I am sure that the majority of teams knew he would be willing to play in the OHL, so that wasnt going against him either. He speaks english decently, so its not that. Just doesnt make a lot of sense really. Good for us though.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Seven years of Hyman is going to be bad enough we didn't need that 8th year. That's what we would have received with a sign-and-trade with Toronto. That was the the fiasco. Giving Easy Street a lower cap hit spread over eight years.
facepalm-seriously.gif

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Seven years of Hyman is going to be bad enough we didn't need that 8th year. That's what we would have received with a sign-and-trade with Toronto. That was the the fiasco. Giving Easy Street a lower cap hit spread over eight years.
facepalm-seriously.gif
You were pretty quiet when Hyman managed to hold the puck for like 40 seconds to close out a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad