2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Many of the contracts flucatute in salary. I'd be curious to know why Chayka did that. For example Schmaltz goes from 3m this year to 6M then 4.5M. Dvorak and Chychruns deals also dip in 22/23 by 1.5M and 1.3M.

You wouldn't have to do it that way. RNH could make 5.5M 21/22 then 10M 22/23 then ~7.5M scaling down to 5M in his last year.

Can move the money around, maybe 10M doesn't work in 22/23, just an example.
There was potential for a work stoppage so players negotiated the structure to pay them more cash in years where they were guaranteed to play or used signing bonuses to still get paid before the season would start even if it were later canceled.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think we'd be his third pick after Seattle (do Vegas all over) and Detroit (Yzerman connection).
Gallant would bring in Kelly. Assuming Housley would be gone, I’d guess maybe Gord Murphy as his replacement.

Gallant, Kelly(PK), Stillman(Fwds), Murphy(D)?

I think more likely would be MVR as HC with Stillman on F/PP and Jay McKee as D/PK.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
upload_2021-4-16_21-52-27.gif

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Not concerned about that. There are only 31 of these jobs in the world, soon to be 32.

Beyond Arizona and Seattle, who else will be looking for a new coach?

1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. Columbus (it seems like Tortorella will walk away)
4. Buffalo (only interim right now)
5. Vancouver (does Green get fired/walk away?)
6. Detroit (Blashill's contract is also up)

I think Carolina will figure it out with Brind'Amour. And I don't see any other coaches on the hot seat. Maybe Hynes in Nashville. Maybe.

So then let's say you have all of Tocchet (lol), Gallant, Boudreau, Tortorella, Julien, Green, Blashill, Babcock, a bunch of assistants and junior guys looking for a job ... if you are given an opportunity don't you have to take it when the next may not come up for a bit?

Add Calgary to the list, I don't think Sutter signed a multi year deal.

I think Gallant is getting to the point where he needs to take a job soon. Being out of the league for 2 years would make it tough to come back.

Torts could wait around, a good team could fire their coach mid season and look to him to spark them.

I think Babcock could be done with the NHL. The Leafs are paying him to coach at home in Saskatoon...

I think Gallant and the rest could have Calgary 1 and us 2. We might be the #1 destination depending if a coach wants the pressure of coaching a mediocre team in Canada.

Personally only Gallant, Tortorella and Boudreau interest me off that list.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We might be the #1 destination depending if a coach wants the pressure of coaching a mediocre team in Canada.

The Coyotes are probably the worst job in the league to be honest. At least Buffalo can offer top notch money.

Cash wise, an AZ offer won't blow anyone away. Opportunity wise? Major surgery needs to be done and the team will be asset starved. Coaches love cheap ELC superstars as much as GMs and fans. There's no pressure and Scottsdale is a wonderful place to live but those two things can attract the wrong candidate as much as the right one. BA is unproven.

There will be more open chairs than top tier candidates, so I would not be surprised if BA goes conservative and picks MVR, Varady, or someone of that caliber we haven't considered.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
The Coyotes are probably the worst job in the league to be honest. At least Buffalo can offer top notch money.

Cash wise, an AZ offer won't blow anyone away. Opportunity wise? Major surgery needs to be done and the team will be asset starved. Coaches love cheap ELC superstars as much as GMs and fans. There's no pressure and Scottsdale is a wonderful place to live but those two things can attract the wrong candidate as much as the right one. BA is unproven.

There will be more open chairs than top tier candidates, so I would not be surprised if BA goes conservative and picks MVR, Varady, or someone of that caliber we haven't considered.
Buffalo has been a train wreck forever with talk of a franchise player wanting out soon. They're rumored to be a budget team as well so I don't fully buy that they can offer more money than our loud billionaire owner...

Detroit is awful. You're going to have a losing record there.

Columbus seems stagnant but they do have Laine...

I did skim over Vancouver, that job would be intriguing. Good players but poor cap mgmt so no depth. Expectations are high..

For us, the team is good enough to compete for a playoff spot, but not good enough to expect it. You make it, you're a hero, you miss it NBD. The team is also young, a #1 D, some skilled forwards, Hayton on the way. There's room to grow, win a playoff series and you could win coach of the year.

I honestly might prefer MVR or Varady anyway. I go back and forth between Gallant and Tororellas fit with the team. Could be just what we need or a disaster. Boudreau is a safe pick, good coach but not great.

Reactions: zerekstar and lanky

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Buffalo has been a train wreck forever with talk of a franchise player wanting out soon. They're rumored to be a budget team as well so I don't fully buy that they can offer more money than our loud billionaire owner...

Detroit is awful. You're going to have a losing record there.

Columbus seems stagnant but they do have Laine...

I did skim over Vancouver, that job would be intriguing. Good players but poor cap mgmt so no depth. Expectations are high..

For us, the team is good enough to compete for a playoff spot, but not good enough to expect it. You make it, you're a hero, you miss it NBD. The team is also young, a #1 D, some skilled forwards, Hayton on the way. There's room to grow, win a playoff series and you could win coach of the year.

I honestly might prefer MVR or Varady anyway. I go back and forth between Gallant and Tororellas fit with the team. Could be just what we need or a disaster. Boudreau is a safe pick, good coach but not great.
I know it's going back awhile but Buffalo offered Babcock at least as much money as Toronto. His Wife picked Toronto.

Reactions: hbk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not concerned about that. There are only 31 of these jobs in the world, soon to be 32.

Beyond Arizona and Seattle, who else will be looking for a new coach?

1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. Columbus (it seems like Tortorella will walk away)
4. Buffalo (only interim right now)
5. Vancouver (does Green get fired/walk away?)
6. Detroit (Blashill's contract is also up)

I think Carolina will figure it out with Brind'Amour. And I don't see any other coaches on the hot seat. Maybe Hynes in Nashville. Maybe.

So then let's say you have all of Tocchet (lol), Gallant, Boudreau, Tortorella, Julien, Green, Blashill, Babcock, a bunch of assistants and junior guys looking for a job ... if you are given an opportunity don't you have to take it when the next may not come up for a bit?
Correct. I hope BA already has his mind made up for our next coach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Add Calgary to the list, I don't think Sutter signed a multi year deal.

I think Gallant is getting to the point where he needs to take a job soon. Being out of the league for 2 years would make it tough to come back.

Torts could wait around, a good team could fire their coach mid season and look to him to spark them.

I think Babcock could be done with the NHL. The Leafs are paying him to coach at home in Saskatoon...

I think Gallant and the rest could have Calgary 1 and us 2. We might be the #1 destination depending if a coach wants the pressure of coaching a mediocre team in Canada.

Personally only Gallant, Tortorella and Boudreau interest me off that list.
I think Sutter signed a three year deal if I'm not mistaken. Babcock will be back at some point, and like last year, there should be a couple of good coaches available. BA can not screw this up.

Reactions: hbk

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Famously dumped him. Seems like he doesn't want to cede an inch to the front office.

Boudreau is a career .635, I would love for him to mentor Varady and Stillman.
Boudreau has been my preferred pick. I dont mind the idea of Van Ryn.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So a Habs fan posted a trade proposal (on another site) a couple b prospects and a 1,2,3 and 4 round picks (spread over 3 years) for Chychrun.

I said way too much stuff, not enough high end. Said start with Suzuki. OP laughed and stated not a single GM in the league would trade Nik Suzuki 1 for 1 for Jakob Chychrun. In their mind Suzuki is a "65 - 75" point C.

Chychrun is obviously not on the market. Curious what you think Montreal would have to pay?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So a Habs fan posted a trade proposal (on another site) a couple b prospects and a 1,2,3 and 4 round picks (spread over 3 years) for Chychrun.

I said way too much stuff, not enough high end. Said start with Suzuki. OP laughed and stated not a single GM in the league would trade Nik Suzuki 1 for 1 for Jakob Chychrun. In their mind Suzuki is a "65 - 75" point C.

Chychrun is obviously not on the market. Curious what you think Montreal would have to pay?
Does Montreal have a single asset better than Chychrun? Suzuki sure as hell isnt.

Reactions: Heldig

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017

Not a chance any job is worse than Buffalo. Come on...

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think Sutter signed a three year deal if I'm not mistaken. Babcock will be back at some point, and like last year, there should be a couple of good coaches available. BA can not screw this up.
23/24 is when he'll look to come back. Leafs are paying him until then and he signed a 2 year contract with Usask. Sweet job making almost 6M a year to coach university hockey in his hometown.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad