2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Think there’s a better chance of us bringing goligoski back for a year than resigning hammer. Hammer will want trade protection for his off-ice issues and that’ll be a no-go.
What leverage would he have to request that if this is the only team he wants to play for?
And personally for a cheap 1 year deal I don't care if he decides he doesn't want to move at the deadline. Great for the team if he does.. if not you have a 6/7 D

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig has a weird hate on for Keller. He's always bagged on that contract. How about Schmaltz? Or OEL? Or the coach? We're not getting value there.

Could be because we passed on Chychrun at #7 to grab Keller and then Chayka had to perform the first of his many dead cap space gymnastics routines to move up 3 spots and get Chychrun when Detroit was going to grab him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This team is not competing next year, Hammer may not bring the same effectiveness but the team needs defenseman and he brings deadline value from name alone. It would be silly not to sign him, especially if he's willing to sign a cheap contract because he wants to be with his family.
New York gave Tony 2 strikes... And players of his ability don't come cheap. If he works out we make the Rangers look like Florida at the Vegas expansion draft.. if he doesn't then who cares.. bury him for the rest of the season and he goes to Europe because we hold his rights unless another team wants to try again in which we get another asset back...
Agree about Hammer. Disagree about D'Angelo. I've been thinking about him. What evidence has he given, or what promise has he made, about a turn around in both attitude and action?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Agree about Hammer. Disagree about D'Angelo. I've been thinking about him. What evidence has he given, or what promise has he made, about a turn around in both attitude and action?
I don't need a promise, don't need proof.. it's yes or no.
He either turns around or he doesn't.. either way in my scenario we recieve assets for free.. with the potential upside being a 55+ point defenceman and a higher pick in a draft that we missing our first round selection.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't need a promise, don't need proof.. it's yes or no.
He either turns around or he doesn't.. either way in my scenario we recieve assets for free.. with the potential upside being a 55+ point defenceman and a higher pick in a draft that we missing our first round selection.

Coyotes FO already met when he was on waivers and to a man all said no. Every media personality I've listened to that dealt with this player said he's trash.

The Coyotes are not the team to attempt this, even if it was feasible.

Reactions: Jakey53

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Coyotes FO already met when he was on waivers and to a man all said no. Every media personality I've listened to that dealt with this player said he's trash.

The Coyotes are not the team to attempt this, even if it was feasible.
See I've never heard this from people who have actually talked with him and worked with him for years... That being said it was 6+ years ago now.
I agree it won't happen... But regardless of if it will happen or not it's not smart as a team who has to play Moneyball to avoid free assets and like this. Would be a smart move to make in my opinion. I think the upside heavily out weighs the downside.
The trade deadline was a big enough failure in its own... This team had way too many 1 year contracts not to sell off on some of them.. I don't care if it's a 7th round pick.. it's better than the nothing you're getting when the player hits FA. These are mistakes you can't be making if you want to be successful long term.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Craig Morgan brought up an interesting point in his podcast: After the season is over, looking at Keller’s complete body of work (hot start, disappointing finish) do the Coyotes consider exposing him to a team with a blank payroll to see if they can rid themselves of the contract?

I love Keller, but I’m not entirely sure how much better he’s going to get. If we’re going to lose him I’d rather trade him with a sweetener to soften the blow of the contract and still get a good player, but it would be interesting to see what BA could do with another $7.125M available
For a team with very little NHL calibre offensive talent, it seems dumb to give away the most talented offensive player.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I have no problem with hammer being a 6/7 D. And like I said before if he's fine with being traded from Arizona for a few months great.. if not you have a bottom pairing D on a non competitive team.. if he subtly loses us some standing points even better for our draft... with a well played retooling we are at least 2 off-seasons away from competing I think. So get better assets for the long term while you're at it.
Hjalmarsson is not good anymore. We shouldn’t sign him just because he likes Arizona. He doesn’t bring trade value if he doesn’t want to play elsewhere.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I’m not sure how much back-loading you can do when so much of our cash is tied up in long-term deals. It’s mostly cheap guys coming off the books in the next (after this off-season) 1-2 years (in terms of cash), right?
Many of the contracts flucatute in salary. I'd be curious to know why Chayka did that. For example Schmaltz goes from 3m this year to 6M then 4.5M. Dvorak and Chychruns deals also dip in 22/23 by 1.5M and 1.3M.
Also makes them very difficult to move in their latter years. Imagine trying to offload a 34 year old RNH making 9 mil.

You wouldn't have to do it that way. RNH could make 5.5M 21/22 then 10M 22/23 then ~7.5M scaling down to 5M in his last year.

Can move the money around, maybe 10M doesn't work in 22/23, just an example.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Lowry gets a nice deal. Have to think he was one of the guys BA would want.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think you're probably right about that second sentence. But I'm not sure what it has to do with the first sentence. I'm also not sure I want to actually hash this out...lol. :)

Both are bad PR for an organization that really doesn’t need it

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lowry gets a nice deal. Have to think he was one of the guys BA would want.
We need to be drafting these types.

I want to target the Comtois, Lowry, Lemieux, types of forwards outside of the 1st round. And the Ryan Lindgren and Jeremy Lauzon, and John Ludvig types of D. These are all 2nd-3rd round types. I’m desperate for some f***en “culture-changers” like Mike Futa kept talking about when he helped Lombardi build the Championship LA Kings teams through the draft.

It seemed to me these were exactly the types BA was literally shouting about while pounding his fists on the table during his introductory press-conference. I was so excited that day for him to be here. I sure hope he lives up to that and puts his money where his mouth is.

We better start seeing the skate through a wall and BLEED in the desert types get drafted and signed and traded for.

Signing Pitlick, Larsson and Hayden was a good indicator. Trading Stepan’s ass to Ottawa was encouraging, too. I need to see this fully embraced throughout the organization, though.

We’ve got the spicy ownership group with the ranting and raving press releases, we’ve got the big bad fiery GM who yells and shouts and pounds the table, and I now need to see some coaches hired that fit the bill, and some more players signed, and some players acquired via trade who match, and I want to see it at the draft table.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is that not Gallant then?

I think Gallant is a little overrated due to his performance with an excellent, highly motivated Vegas roster. Vegas dropped him because he chafed with the FO and a better coach (DeBoer) became available.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
See I've never heard this from people who have actually talked with him and worked with him for years... That being said it was 6+ years ago now.
I agree it won't happen... But regardless of if it will happen or not it's not smart as a team who has to play Moneyball to avoid free assets and like this. Would be a smart move to make in my opinion. I think the upside heavily out weighs the downside.
The trade deadline was a big enough failure in its own... This team had way too many 1 year contracts not to sell off on some of them.. I don't care if it's a 7th round pick.. it's better than the nothing you're getting when the player hits FA. These are mistakes you can't be making if you want to be successful long term.
The reason for not getting rid of Gogo and the like is that the Yotes are still in the PO hunt and GMBA doesn't feel like throwing the team under the bus. That sends the wrong message. IF they would have gotten an offer they couldn't refuse, it would have been a different story.

Reactions: sundance74

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Gallant is a little overrated due to his performance with an excellent, highly motivated Vegas roster. Vegas dropped him because he chafed with the FO and a better coach (DeBoer) became available.

Florida?

Reactions: RABBIT

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
too tainted from a PR perspective.

Not concerned about that. There are only 31 of these jobs in the world, soon to be 32.

Beyond Arizona and Seattle, who else will be looking for a new coach?

1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. Columbus (it seems like Tortorella will walk away)
4. Buffalo (only interim right now)
5. Vancouver (does Green get fired/walk away?)
6. Detroit (Blashill's contract is also up)

I think Carolina will figure it out with Brind'Amour. And I don't see any other coaches on the hot seat. Maybe Hynes in Nashville. Maybe.

So then let's say you have all of Tocchet (lol), Gallant, Boudreau, Tortorella, Julien, Green, Blashill, Babcock, a bunch of assistants and junior guys looking for a job ... if you are given an opportunity don't you have to take it when the next may not come up for a bit?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Gerard Gallant is easily my first choice and I think he would fit well with what BA seems to want in terms of roster construction.

I think we'd be his third pick after Seattle (do Vegas all over) and Detroit (Yzerman connection).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad