Recalled/Assigned: 2021 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I believe ATOs only get per diem, which is pretty bad for Foudy who played the entire year with no actual pay. Burzan was on a podcast recently and talked about “the team apartment” so my guess is those guys like him, Foudy, etc all live there and is prob team provided (or else the team would be paying for them to live in a hotel). The way he said it made it sound like a building not that everyone lives in one apartment. Other than that I really don’t know what level of help these guys get, especially someone like Foudy.

I'd guess it's pretty similar to all the other perks that all AHLers get (I imagine this differs based off the organization), with the exception of pay. I can't speak for what those perks exactly are, but I have a family member that played in the MHL and they got all their expenses paid for (travel, accommodation, etc.) along with a food budget (they got $25 US per meal) + an entertainment budget (on top of their salary). Plus of course all their training and fitness coaches, massages, etc. covered as well.

It's by no means glamorous, but Foudy is 18. He gets to live and breathe hockey 24/7 and hang out with a bunch of buddies. Even though he doesn't have a proper salary, I highly doubt he's living in squalor to chase his dream.

Plus it doesn't hurt he probably gets 10 k+ worth of gear from the Avs. My family member came back with 3 hockey bags worth of gear, plus 10 sticks (retails $400+ ea).

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Newhook 2 goals, Ranta 1 goal, Barron 2 assists, Foudy 1 assist. What a night for the kids.

Barrons assist on the Wagner goal is the reason he was drafted. Pretty much a 3 line pass from one side of the rink to the other on the tape to a streaking Wagner.

Newhook loves high blocker. Kid has an incredible release. I really do hope they give him a look in the NHL. The way hes been scoring certainly warrants a look.

Great hand eye from Ranta in a spot where he has to be to be effective. I imagine he scores the majority of his goals in and around the net like that.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Newhook has high-end skating already, for forwards he would only be behind Mac. Gonna be fun seeing him on PP#2 - that shot is sweet. To me he looks dynamic and has earned a call up. Start him on the wing if need be but get him up here and see.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

That account has all the prospect goals from last night. Eagles clips are terrible, they never show the play.

Foudy had two assists, the one where he found Newhook open at 5v5 was lethal stuff.

I don’t think Newhook is ready per se, he is doing a lot of his damage on the PP but if the Avs are serious about winning a Cup they should really think about getting him on to PP2 if their PP begins to falter like it does every playoffs.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I was way off on what I thought Foudy's development would be. I'd even say he's in the top 2/3 if ranking the Avs prospects.

It seems like whenever good news is reported, he's been involved at least half of the time.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

That account has all the prospect goals from last night. Eagles clips are terrible, they never show the play.

Foudy had two assists, the one where he found Newhook open at 5v5 was lethal stuff.

I don’t think Newhook is ready per se, he is doing a lot of his damage on the PP but if the Avs are serious about winning a Cup they should really think about getting him on to PP2 if their PP begins to falter like it does every playoffs.

So is Barron already noticeably the best defenseman on the Eagles? I know in the couple games I watched the Eagles defense was very cringe worthy and struggled moving the puck.

I get wanting to get Newhook in the lineup and I don’t think it’s crazy to think he might get a few games down the stretch, but with a healthy lineup I have a really hard time seeing him push someone out and even with only one or two injuries like we have right now it might be tough to find him a spot where he gets the eight minutes. With that being said if he keeps lighting it up I could see him working well with Jost and Nuke.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So is Barron already noticeably the best defenseman on the Eagles? I know in the couple games I watched the Eagles defense was very cringe worthy and struggled moving the puck.

I get wanting to get Newhook in the lineup and I don’t think it’s crazy to think he might get a few games down the stretch, but with a healthy lineup I have a really hard time seeing him push someone out and even with only one or two injuries like we have right now it might be tough to find him a spot where he gets the eight minutes. With that being said if he keeps lighting it up I could see him working well with Jost and Nuke.
Right, it’s a super low bar. I don’t want to say best because Barron is not mistake free (neither are the others certainly) but his puck moving ability was very noticeable from his first shift.

Foudy is unlike anything the Avs have ever had in their system, it’s difficult to really peg or project his trajectory plus add on this non-traditional path too. I wouldn’t argue if anyone rates him in the top tier of Avs prospects (I think Sampo needs some more love too). Him being a few years out probably keeps me from super hype but he’s the real deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I agree. It’s not like he’s completely taking over games or anything. But at the end of the day with Kadri playing like dogshit the Avs need to see what they have in Newhook right now in case he’s needed in the playoffs if the secondary scoring is dry. Doesn’t mean they need to call him up permanently, but I love the idea of bringing him on this 5 game road trip, testing him out and seeing if he can continue to find the same success in finding the back of the net as he has everywhere he’s played. So proud of the kid.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I agree. It’s not like he’s completely taking over games or anything. But at the end of the day with Kadri playing like dogshit the Avs need to see what they have in Newhook right now in case he’s needed in the playoffs if the secondary scoring is dry. Doesn’t mean they need to call him up permanently, but I love the idea of bringing him on this 5 game road trip, testing him out and seeing if he can continue to find the same success in finding the back of the net as he has everywhere he’s played. So proud of the kid.
If Kadri was playing any semblance of tolerable hockey, there would be no need to look at Newhook this year. Unfortunately he hasn't even been close and hasn't scored a goal in over a month. If he isn't going to score we need an option that has that potential, and the only real option is Newhook. Give him a few games see how it goes. There is no harm in giving him a look, while Kadri continues to shit the bed.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Just listened to the Between the Pipes podcast from last night (the ASR Avs post game show). I'm not exactly sure which talking head it was but they had a whole segment talking about the Eagles game and they spent the entire segment calling Jean-Luc Foudy "Julie Foudy" acting like he's some rando AHL player it's beneath them to know anything about. Really cringey stuff...

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Where would alex line up right now?

There’s a dearth of playmaking in the bottom 9. If they want to use Newhook’s playmaking to get Kadri going, probably some 2LW. His speed also complements Burakovsky well. Possibly 2C might enter their thinking if his skills click with Saad and Burakovsky.

I know some will want to say he should be in the bottom 6 and progress up to top 6. But we shouldn’t be naive about how much the second line currently needs help. And if he can help that line and is going to be with the NHL team, playing on the second line should absolutely be on the table.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Right, it’s a super low bar. I don’t want to say best because Barron is not mistake free (neither are the others certainly) but his puck moving ability was very noticeable from his first shift.

Foudy is unlike anything the Avs have ever had in their system, it’s difficult to really peg or project his trajectory plus add on this non-traditional path too. I wouldn’t argue if anyone rates him in the top tier of Avs prospects (I think Sampo needs some more love too). Him being a few years out probably keeps me from super hype but he’s the real deal.
damn, so many good prospects, what do u do sakic, what do u do!!!

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Foudy reminds me of Barzal, but i'm not gonna create any expectations.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So what appears to be the Eagles problem now? They appear to be getting the offense fairly consistently but now it feels like goaltending is faltering.
I don’t disagree with that but it’s funny they had each of Werner, Miska and Johansson each play vs. Ontario with similar results. Ontario is a trap team, plays that Kings defensive style which isn’t the greatest match. The offense isn’t that good even when it’s rolling but I’ve liked the chances they created lately. Also the blueline has been weak all year. Even adding Barron helps but he’s young too.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad