WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Yeah, he should've played for the Finnish U18 team in the U18 tournament during the Christmas week but didn't because he got injured. He played U17 WHC and Hlinka for Finland already so..
Honestly, sounds like a Finn through and through. As a Canadian fan, I still hope he plays for you guys. He's a product of your system.

Reactions: FinPanda

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
Another interesting thing I was thinking about, is a potential Poirier-Villeneuve pairing. They play together in Saint John and chemistry is always key in this tournament. Not to mention, guys like Guhle, Schneider and Barron are already being included here by everyone and they are considered late 1st rounders/early 2nd. Meanwhile Villeneuve should also be picked in that neighborhood. So all in all, if he has a good start next year he could very well be on the team.
Villeneuve super underrated early on this season. Less offensive upside but superior defenceman to Poirier imo. First like minded post i've seen. plays the game easy and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Another interesting thing I was thinking about, is a potential Poirier-Villeneuve pairing. They play together in Saint John and chemistry is always key in this tournament. Not to mention, guys like Guhle, Schneider and Barron are already being included here by everyone and they are considered late 1st rounders/early 2nd. Meanwhile Villeneuve should also be picked in that neighborhood. So all in all, if he has a good start next year he could very well be on the team.
Good point, He'll definetly be a guy to watch for a spot next year. As of now, guys like Barron and Schneider have the inside track at a spot since they're 01's as opposed to Villeneuve who is an 02.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
In the WJC Finland thread a poster said he will play for whoever calls him first.

I don’t think they’re doing it for kicks. He must have some desire.
He was called for Finnish U18 team in Hlinka and Brad said that will confirm he will play fror Finland in the future. So this all is just speculation, his own words point to him staying in the Finnish nati0nal teams tbh.

First U18 call, that is what team he will play for. Finns were first. Only reason there is talk about hit because he isn't "officially" locked yet, but he will be at the U18's.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
He was called for Finnish U18 team in Hlinka and Brad said that will confirm he will play fror Finland in the future. So this all is just speculation, his own words point to him staying in the Finnish nati0nal teams tbh.

First U18 call, that is what team he will play for. Finns were first. Only reason there is talk about hit because he isn't "officially" locked yet, but he will be at the U18's.
Ohhhh makes sense now, makes the hockey Canada thing weirder.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
That defence better be big. Barron, Schneider, Byram, Korzcak, Robertson were all on the Hlinka team in Edmonton. O'Rourke, Drysdale, Guhle can fit on the team too.

The '01s are so good that it's hard to tell who could be in the NHL. Times are changing, you don't have to be a top 5 pick to play in the NHL before 19 and 20 years old. Regardless, the group should be a fun team to watch on normal ice.

Perfetti McMichael Rees
Pelletier Newhook Perreault
Poulin Krebs Mercer
Tracey Tomasino Holloway
Zary

Robertson Drysdale
Byram Schneider
Harley Barron
O’Rourke

Now that is nothing more than a shot in the dark. I am guessing that Lafreniere, Byfield, Cozens, and Dach won't be available. No idea about goaltenders. Canada looks pretty deep at forward, especially on the left side.
Like that defence. The righties should be locked in as that. I'm sure all the camp invites this year who are cut are a head up on everybody else. You got that right with Zary, Holloway, Barron, Harley, Krebs, and Pelletier. Not sure who else I am missing.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’ve got a much bigger list of potential candidates, which I’m sure will change between now and the end of the season but as of right now, this is the list of players I’d invite to my “Summer Camp”... I’m going to run on the assumption that everyone outside of Lafreniere will be back because right now, he’s the only guy I can definitively say won’t be available. I can make arguments both ways on everyone else.

F:
1- Connor McMichael C L 01 27 25 34 OHL
2- Connor Zary C L 01 35 22 26 WHL
3- Alex Newhook C L 01 16 6 7 NCAA
4- Quinton Byfield C L 02 30 22 35 OHL
5- Adam Beckman C L 01 36 29 30 WHL
6- Kent Johnson C L 02 38 29 47 BCHL
7- Ryan Suzuki C L 01 20 5 18 OHL
8- Tyson Foerster C R 02 25 21 26 OHL
9- Jamieson Rees C L 01 25 17 29 OHL
10- Peyton Krebs C L 01 17 3 19 WHL
11- Dylan Holloway C L 01 17 3 4 NCAA
12- Cole Perfetti C L 02 37 22 41 OHL
13- Jakob Pelletier LW L 01 31 18 35 QMJHL
14- Samuel Poulin LW L 01 25 16 21 QMJHL
15- Brayden Tracey LW L 01 27 14 23 WHL
16- Hendrix Lapierre C L 02 19 2 15 QMJHL
17- Dylan Cozens C R 01 30 20 26 WHL
18- Dawson Mercer RW R 01 26 18 24 QMJHL
19- Philip Tomasino C R 01 36 22 35 OHL
20- Jack Quinn RW R 01 35 26 17 OHL
21- Alex Beaucage RW R 01 38 30 18 QMJHL
22- Jean-Luc Foudy C R 02 36 12 20 OHL
23- Nathan Legare RW R 01 36 19 21 QMJHL
24- Jacob Perreault C R 02 36 24 23 OHL

D:
1- Bowen Byram L 01 27 3 16 WHL
2- Thomas Harley L 01 37 16 23 OHL
3- Matthew Robertson L 01 37 8 16 WHL
4- Jeremie Poirier L 02 40 11 23 QMJHL
5- Owen Power L 02 28 8 22 USHL
6- Ryan O’Rourke L 02 29 6 15 OHL
7- Jamie Drysdale R 02 29 6 25 OHL
8- Braden Schneider R 01 37 5 22 WHL
9- Justin Barron R 01 27 4 13 QMJHL
10- Kaedan Korczak R 01 38 7 24 WHL
11- Jordan Spence R 01 34 3 24 QMJHL
12- Maxence Guenette R 01 37 7 15 QMJHL

G:
1- Sebastian Cossa 02 24 2.16 .923 WHL
2- Dylan Garand 02 32 2.35 .919 WHL
3- Roman Basran 01 30 2.54 .913 WHL
4- Trent Miner 01 16 2.90 .901 WHL

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Been a while since goaltending was this far up in the air. We knew Hart would be on the two teams he made before the season started, we knew DiPietro would make it last year, and at the very least we knew Rodrigue would have a spot on this years team. Is there that same level of confidence with any goalies this year? You can guess that Hockey Canada has their eyes on Gauthier/Garand at least but you can throw out a whole host of names and all of them having the same chance as the other names. Scary and intriguing.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
I do not see in your versions of the composition of the best forward of WHL Adam Beckman. I doubt that he will break through in the NHL next season. Although it all depends on who will be the new coach. Budro youth does not give chances.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
Perfetti McMichael Rees
Pelletier Beckman Newhook
Trasey Krebs Mercer
Poulin Tomasino Zary

Robertson Drysdale
Byram Schneider
Harley Barron
O’Rourke

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafreniere-Byfield-McMichael
Perfetti-Cozens-Pelletier
Krebs-Newhook-Tomasino
Poulin-Rees-Mercer
Foudy

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Korczak
Poirier

Cossa
Miner
Garand

Reactions: JFH

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Looks like we’re gonna be really deep. Would be nice to see Canada be the first country to go back to back at this tournament since Canada did it back in 2008 & 2009 :yo:

Reactions: Dominance

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like we’re gonna be really deep. Would be nice to see Canada be the first country to go back to back at this tournament since Canada did it back in 2008 & 2009 :yo:

We'll have a decent shot at it even missing +- 5-6 guys to the NHL, but not prohibitive favorites. The NHL parity sickness has infected all hockey everywhere. The difference between gold and 4th. place now is a bit of luck and good timing.

but man, would I love to see returning as #1 pair D Byram-Drysdale. would be hands down the best D pair at the tournament.

and besides, a Russian sports writer has already guaranteed a Russian gold medal. He's on a hot streak currently of 0 for 9. you'd figure eventually he has to get one right.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Perfetti- Byfield- Cozens
Pelletier- McMichael- Tomasino
Krebs- Newhook- Mercer
Rees- Zary- Quinn
Holloway

Byram- Drysdale
Harley- Schneider
Power- Korczak
O’Rourke

Cossa
Garand
Miner

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Perfetti- Byfield- Cozens
Pelletier- McMichael- Tomasino
Krebs- Newhook- Mercer
Rees- Zary- Quinn
Holloway

Byram- Drysdale
Harley- Schneider
Power- Korczak
O’Rourke

Cossa
Garand
Miner
Looks pretty good, in all but one way...

I cannot imagine any world in which Power is selected over Robertson and Clarke, even as a fan of him.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My Team Canada roster

Newhook - Krebs - Mercer
Perfetti - McMichael - Pelletier
Tracey - Rees - Tomasino
Holloway - Zary - Poulin
Beckman

Byram - Drysdale
Harley - Schneider
Robertson - Korczak
O'Rourke

Basran
Gauthier

Presumably in the NHL:
Lafreniere (Definitely)
Cozens
Byfield

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Looks pretty good, in all but one way...

I cannot imagine any world in which Power is selected over Robertson and Clarke, even as a fan of him.

Clarke doesn’t have an easy road to this team, there’s too many other RHS D that are better than him at this point. His NHL potential may be higher but he’s fighting an uproad battle to make this team at 17.

As far as Robertson goes, he’s got a real good shot at making the team. This isn’t though the team I’m projecting them to take but instead the one I would take. Robertson isn’t even the next LHS up for me and there’s a RHS I’d take over him as well. We’re a long way out from this tournament and if this year is any indication, the “locks” at the end of the last tournament aren’t necessarily the ones that will be there when it actually roles around.

I’m banking on the progression/potential of these guys and their development over the next 12 months.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I sure hope Drysdale is there, he is going to be a real good pro but he is a guy I think would benefit from one more year of physical development before taking his first shifts in the N.H.L but you know teams these days, they just have to get their highly touted picks into the league ASAP.

Mc Hael Productions

Jan 12, 2020
Possible Forwards:
Quinton Byfield
Peyton Krebs
Dawson Mercer
Dylan Holloway
Connor Zary
Cole Perfetti
Dylan Cozens
Jakob Pelletier
Samuel Poulin
Connor McMichael
Jamieson Rees
Ryan Suzuki
Brayden Tracey
Alex Newhook
Phillip Tomasino
Jacob Perreault
Cartier Savoie
Jean-Luc Foudy
Hendrix Lapierre
Adam Beckman

Possible Defenseman:
Bowen Byram
Thomas Harley
Kaeden Korczak
Braden Schneider
Matthew Robertson
Jamie Drysdale
Jordan Spence
Lukas Cormier
Jérémie Poirier
Kaiden Guhle
Ryan O’Rourke

Possible Goalies:
Dylan Garand
?

I would add Michael Benning to the possible d-core

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In the WJC Finland thread a poster said he will play for whoever calls him first.

I don’t think they’re doing it for kicks. He must have some desire.
I am glad Hockey Canada is pursuing Lambert. Hoping he does have the desire to play for Canada. Many players over the years have changed their
mind about what country to play for. Logan Brown is a perfect example. He wanted to play for Canada, but got cut from the Ivan Hlinka team, and
switched back to USA in 2016. Hoping they can convince Lambert to play for Team Canada.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
NHL-Lafreniere, Byfield, Cozens, Dach, Byram

Perfetti-Krebs-Mercer
Newhook-McMichael-Tomasino
Tracey-Zary-Pelletier
Neighbours-Beckman-Poulin
Holloway/Legare/Rees/Suzuki/Wright

Harley-Drysdale
Robertson-Korczak
Guhle-Schneider
Lambos/Barron/Poirier

Garand
Miner/Gauthier/Cossa/?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am glad Hockey Canada is pursuing Lambert. Hoping he does have the desire to play for Canada. Many players over the years have changed their
mind about what country to play for. Logan Brown is a perfect example. He wanted to play for Canada, but got cut from the Ivan Hlinka team, and
switched back to USA in 2016. Hoping they can convince Lambert to play for Team Canada.

Lambert is very clearly a product of Finnish hockey development. It's somewhat embarrassing that Hockey Canada is pursuing him and it would be worse if he ended up playing for Canada. He's a Finnish hockey player and should play for Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad