WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Brad Lambert might be in the mix if Hockey Canada can get the paperwork pushed through.

Also, I’d bet that one of Brandt Clarke, Owen Power, Zachary Bolduc or Zachary L’Heureux make the team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Brad Lambert might be in the mix if Hockey Canada can get the paperwork pushed through.

Also, I’d bet that one of Brandt Clarke, Owen Power, Zachary Bolduc or Zachary L’Heureux make the team.

Should just give Lambert to Finland. Shane Wright is also currently better than those players you listed.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Should just give Lambert to Finland. Shane Wright is also currently better than those players you listed.
IIHF will decide that, I wish I knew someone closer to the situation but to my knowledge they wouldn’t try if he wouldn’t commit.
Agreed about Shane Wight btw. I don’t see why he can’t make it.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I was just compiling players to make this thread, you beat me to it!

My possible forwards look like this:
*Alexis Lafreniere
*Dylan Cozens
*Quinton Byfield
*Kirby Dach
Connor McMichael
Dawson Mercer
Jamison Rees
Connor Zary
Cole Perfetti
Dylan Holloway
Peyton Krebs
Alex Newhook
Philip Tomasino
Brayden Tracey
Ryan Suzuki
Jakob Pelletier
Samuel Poulin
Adam Beckman
Graeme Clarke
Hendrix Lapierre
Jean-Luc Foudy
Jacob Perreault
Jack Quinn
Tyson Foerster
Alex Beaucage
Seth Jarvis
Will Cuylle
Connor McClennon

Defence was basically exactly what I had
*Bowen Byram
Thomas Harley
Kaeden Korczak
Braden Schneider
Matthew Robertson
Jamie Drysdale
Jordan Spence
Justin Barron
Lukas Cormier
Jérémie Poirier
Kaiden Guhle
Daemon Hunt

Then my goalies:
Tristian Lennox
Carter Gylander
Jonathan Lemieux
Trent Miner
Sebastian Cossa
Dylan Garand

* = Likely be in NHL

Forwards look REALLY good next year. Defence looks respectable but goaltending is still up in the air.
With Byram, Cozens, Byfield available:

Krebs-Cozens-Beckman
McMichael-Byfield-Mercer
Perfetti-Newhook-Pelletier
Rees-Tomasino-Poulin
Holloway/Zary/Suzuki

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Barron
Korczak/Poirier

Without them:

Perfetti-McMichael-Mercer
Krebs-Newhook-Beckman
Holloway-Tomasino-Pelletier
Rees-Suzuki-Poulin
Zary/Tracy/Lapierre

Robertson-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Korczak-Barron
Poirier/Guhle

Either way, this team looks to be the clear top dog. Powerhouse 2020 draft class will hopefully drive us to gold in 2021 and 2022.

Goalies aren’t worthwhile predicting. We will have more than enough depth to find our Daws/Hofer duo. Garand will be one of the trio as the prospective starter the next year.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Lambert wants to play for Canada?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Should be a really good forward group next year. Any of Cozens, Byfield, McMichael or even Newhook could be really solid first line centers but I bet theyll get 3 of those guys and be absolutely stacked down the middle. If they expand the roster by one spot to taxi squad (even though its in Canada) Shane Wright could be a good guy to bring and see what the tourney is all about and get ready for coming seasons.

I think Colorado is deep enough on D that Byram and Drysdlae could be back. That would be unbelievable defense as well.

Goaltending is going to be a huge problem potentially but if they get someone solid they should be major favourites

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Can I table a motion for the Czech Republic to host all European WJHC tournaments from now on?

Men's tourney as well. We seem to come away with the prize each time.

fun tournament .as always the teenagers deliver the goods. And I mean all teenagers from all countries.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
No mention of Nathan Legare yet. Would be ideal on the 4th line, energy player who can hit and score

McMichael-Byfield-Mercer
Perfetti-Newhook-Krebs
Pelletier-Holloway-Poulin
Rees-Tomasino-Legare
Zary

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Barron
Poirier-Schneider
Korczak

Garand-Cossa

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
With how bad the Sabres forward group is and Cozens being a pretty mature player, I doubt he is here next year unfortunately.

Still a lot of potential with that forward group though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Stop trying to steal our guy. You have enough depth and players even without him.

Lambert definitely sounds more Canadian than Finnish. Whats the story with him and his dual citizenship anyways? His uncle was a Canadian NHLer. His earliest team on eliteprospects is also Canadian. So if he grew up in Canada with a Canadian NHL hockey family and didnt move to Finland until he was 14 or so, it sounds more like Finland stole him from Canada.

I dont actually know for sure I'm just going off what google can tell me

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Lambert definitely sounds more Canadian than Finnish. Whats the story with him and his dual citizenship anyways? His uncle was a Canadian NHLer. His earliest team on eliteprospects is also Canadian. So if he grew up in Canada with a Canadian NHL hockey family and didnt move to Finland until he was 14 or so, it sounds more like Finland stole him from Canada.

I dont actually know for sure I'm just going off what google can tell me
He has born in Finland and has lived his whole life here (only 1 year in Canada). He has been in every Finnish school. He didn't grew up in Canada. It's just a name. He has a Finnish mother and he is totally a Finnish kid with Canadian roots.

He has a Finnish accent when he speaks English. He is fluent in Finnish.. One year in Canada doesn't make you more Canadian than Finnish.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He has born in Finland and has lived his whole life here (only 1 year in Canada). He has been in every Finnish school. He didn't grew up in Canada. It's just a name. He has a Finnish mother and he is totally a Finnish kid with Canadian roots.

He has a Finnish accent when he speaks English. He is fluent in Finnish.. One year in Canada doesn't make you more Canadian than Finnish.
HockeyCanada is of course going to put out feelers but I would say there is an almost 0 chance he ends up playing for Canada, he grew up in Finland and naturally identifies far more closely with it. I gave up on any chance of Lambert the second I knew his full story.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
HockeyCanada is of course going to put out feelers but I would say there is an almost 0 chance he ends up playing for Canada, he grew up in Finland and naturally identifies far more closely with it. I gave up on any chance of Lambert the second I knew his full story.
Yeah, if McKenzie said they are trying to get him, I understand why they would as Lambert is a special talent. But I would be really sad if he chose to play for Canada. He is going to be our top player at the U18's.

Last edited:
Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I guess. Funny that some believe he should play for Canada just because his name is Brad Lambert without knowing the story behind the name.
Well, there is always one in the crowd.

I mean, nothings impossible especially since hockey is such a business these days and you never can know what his agent or advisors are telling him, maybe the kid and his family make a decision that has them go with Hockey Canada due to advice they have been given, it's always possible but with the strength of the Finnish program these days I would be surprised he and mom and pop can be seriously swayed by that possible argument presented to them.

aside from all the stuff you talked about above he has already represented Finland, I am sure that has only cemented his desire to represent Finland going forward.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, there is always one in the crowd.

I mean, nothings impossible especially since hockey is such a business these days and you never can know what his agent or advisors are telling him, maybe the kid and his family make a decision that has them go with Hockey Canada due to advise they have been given, it's always possible but with the strength of the Finnish program these days I would be surprised he and mom and pop can be seriously swayed by that possible argument presented to them.

aside from all the stuff you talked about above he has already represented Finland, I am sure that has only cemented his desire to represent Finland going forward.
Yeah, he should've played for the Finnish U18 team in the U18 tournament during the Christmas week but didn't because he got injured. He played U17 WHC and Hlinka for Finland already so..

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I don’t know but hockey Canada was trying to get him eligible. McKenzie said it would be tricky and tough so you’d have to think there’s interest on his side. No point in trying without some assurances.
Interesting.

Not sure why HC is wasting time on it if he has never indicated any desire to play for Canada.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Another interesting thing I was thinking about, is a potential Poirier-Villeneuve pairing. They play together in Saint John and chemistry is always key in this tournament. Not to mention, guys like Guhle, Schneider and Barron are already being included here by everyone and they are considered late 1st rounders/early 2nd. Meanwhile Villeneuve should also be picked in that neighborhood. So all in all, if he has a good start next year he could very well be on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad