Jordan Spence
Lukas Cormier
Jérémie Poirier
Kaiden Guhle
Ryan O’Rourke

Possible Goalies:
Dylan Garand
?
Should be a good team next year, even if we miss a few guys to the NHL. Would love to go back-to-back and get some mojo going in this tourney again. Not crazy about our chances, however, if Tourigny is the coach. However, that's the likeliest candidate. We won't get elite coaching, or a standing junior team at the U16 and U18 levels, until Hockey Canada finds a way to cut the umbilical cord that binds it to the CHL. Still, nobody could be worse than Tim Hunter. I am hopeful that, after the dreadful years of 2010-2014 and the scars they left behind, we may finally be in the beginning stages of developing a consistent stream of quality talent again like we were (in spite of the unfortunate presence of Bobby Burgers and the CHL) in the years from 2002-2010 (but especially in the early years of the 2000s). I like the half-ice idea, and I like the attention Tom Renney is paying to the grassroots (Bobby Burgers couldn't be bothered with minor hockey or youth hockey, which is hardly a revelation since he couldn't even be bothered with vetting his own hires in Edmonton). Renney's not my ideal choice for his current position, but he's miles ahead of Burgers, and I don't think Tom is all about just lining his own pockets or looking out for his buddies like a certain bureau-hack now in Edmonton.

We'll have a good team, but we will be far from prohibitive favourites.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Should be a good team next year, even if we miss a few guys to the NHL. Would love to go back-to-back and get some mojo going in this tourney again. Not crazy about our chances, however, if Tourigny is the coach. However, that's the likeliest candidate. We won't get elite coaching, or a standing junior team at the U16 and U18 levels, until Hockey Canada finds a way to cut the umbilical cord that binds it to the CHL. Still, nobody could be worse than Tim Hunter. I am hopeful that, after the dreadful years of 2010-2014 and the scars they left behind, we may finally be in the beginning stages of developing a consistent stream of quality talent again like we were (in spite of the unfortunate presence of Bobby Burgers and the CHL) in the years from 2002-2010 (but especially in the early years of the 2000s). I like the half-ice idea, and I like the attention Tom Renney is paying to the grassroots (Bobby Burgers couldn't be bothered with minor hockey or youth hockey, which is hardly a revelation since he couldn't even be bothered with vetting his own hires in Edmonton). Renney's not my ideal choice for his current position, but he's miles ahead of Burgers, and I don't think Tom is all about just lining his own pockets or looking out for his buddies like a certain bureau-hack now in Edmonton.

We'll have a good team, but we will be far from prohibitive favourites.

I'm also fearful that Tourigny is next in line. French speaking coach who is in the OHL, several years of experience at this tournament. Unfortunately the units he's coached haven't been very good and he's not won anything as a head coach. Canada has been very successful even in these lean years when a good coach has been behind the bench.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm also fearful that Tourigny is next in line. French speaking coach who is in the OHL, several years of experience at this tournament. Unfortunately the units he's coached haven't been very good and he's not won anything as a head coach. Canada has been very successful even in these lean years when a good coach has been behind the bench.

Well, that will be disappointing if the Hunters are not back. I was hoping they'd give us 2-3 years and not a one and done type of deal.

If Tourigny is the guy, then my optimism for next year just took a bit of a hit.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Well, that will be disappointing if the Hunters are not back. I was hoping they'd give us 2-3 years and not a one and done type of deal.

If Tourigny is the guy, then my optimism for next year just took a bit of a hit.
Cronyism and covering your a s s define Hockey Canada. It's better than it was under Bobby Burgers, but the same Board of Directors is in place (many of the same people, I believe), and you still have Salmond, Smith, McNabb, et al. I understand that Hockey Canada wants to move the head coaching position around for political reasons, but I wish they would move away from giving the top gig to a guy who was an assistant the year before. How about look for a Dominique Ducharme-type coach each year? I'm not one of those thrilled about the job Hunter did this year (I think the team won that gold medal more so than the coach did, whereas I think the 2018 gold medal was certainly very much a product of Ducharme getting the most out of his lineup), and the coach I want is someone who is young, communicates well with young athletes, is an excellent in-game coach, and has a reputation for really developing young athletes.

In other words, scour the QMJHL for the closest thing you can get to a Ducharme. He should be the baseline or template for what you want in the head coach.

I don't think Tourigny is as horrible as Hunter, Lowry, Spott, or even Dave Cameron (even Brent Sutter wasn't great the second time around as, by 2013-14, the game had somewhat passed by his style of coaching), but I think there are better options out there. We've seen in the last decade that coaching and goal-tending are hugely important at this tournament, and cutting corners on either one will get you sixth place or a heart-breaking loss in a medal game.

It's frustrating, because there is some good talent in the pipeline, I think, and we could even go on a bit of a run after some lean years. But I think our chances are diminished if Tourigny is behind the bench. There are better coaches out there, even better QMJHL coaches. I wish they would look at them, but I don't think they will.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
I'll add as a follow-up to my last post that the cynicism at Hockey Canada bugs me the most. Each time they've won since 2015, they've immediately turned around and cut corners because they figured they had the public in the palm of their hand - again. In 2016, we get stuck with Lowry; in 2019, we get stuck with Hunter; and I suspect we'll get stuck with Tourigny in 2021. Every time we have an international victory, the bureau-hacks and Bobby Burgers hold-overs at Hockey Canada revert to their default position of laziness, sloth, and office politicking - rather than trying to consolidate our latest success and really build upon it. I like Renney, but I don't think he has the self-confidence or force of will to really change the culture in Calgary. Of course, if Tom did have those attributes, he would never have been hired in the first place (and I actually like Renney, but he's not the transformative leader HC needs).

I think hockey fans in this country get played by suckers far too often - by the NHL, and also by Hockey Canada.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I have no evidence but I'm not expecting the Hunters back. It's a checkmark off Dale's list to have won the tournamentand Mark has NHL aspirations. I didn't think that Hunter did a great job or anything, certainly not as impressive as Groulx and Ducharme, but he was competent and certainly didn't sink the team like Spott or Lowry. Hockey Canada stepped out of its regular box when it went for the Hunters and I hope that it continues to go after the top coaches rather than the coaches who are familiar.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Cronyism and covering your a s s define Hockey Canada. It's better than it was under Bobby Burgers, but the same Board of Directors is in place (many of the same people, I believe), and you still have Salmond, Smith, McNabb, et al. I understand that Hockey Canada wants to move the head coaching position around for political reasons, but I wish they would move away from giving the top gig to a guy who was an assistant the year before. How about look for a Dominique Ducharme-type coach each year? I'm not one of those thrilled about the job Hunter did this year (I think the team won that gold medal more so than the coach did, whereas I think the 2018 gold medal was certainly very much a product of Ducharme getting the most out of his lineup), and the coach I want is someone who is young, communicates well with young athletes, is an excellent in-game coach, and has a reputation for really developing young athletes.

In other words, scour the QMJHL for the closest thing you can get to a Ducharme. He should be the baseline or template for what you want in the head coach.

I don't think Tourigny is as horrible as Hunter, Lowry, Spott, or even Dave Cameron (even Brent Sutter wasn't great the second time around as, by 2013-14, the game had somewhat passed by his style of coaching), but I think there are better options out there. We've seen in the last decade that coaching and goal-tending are hugely important at this tournament, and cutting corners on either one will get you sixth place or a heart-breaking loss in a medal game.

It's frustrating, because there is some good talent in the pipeline, I think, and we could even go on a bit of a run after some lean years. But I think our chances are diminished if Tourigny is behind the bench. There are better coaches out there, even better QMJHL coaches. I wish they would look at them, but I don't think they will.

Not sure what's wrong with Tourigny. He is coaching one of the best teams in the CHL currently and he has international experience as well as NHL experience. Also you said there are better coaches in the Q, yet Tourigny was always one of the top coaches in the league when he was in Rouyn-Noranda.

I think he'd be a fine candidate for Team Canada WJC

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Not sure what's wrong with Tourigny. He is coaching one of the best teams in the CHL currently and he has international experience as well as NHL experience. Also you said there are better coaches in the Q, yet Tourigny was always one of the top coaches in the league when he was in Rouyn-Noranda.

I think he'd be a fine candidate for Team Canada WJC

Some people on here just want to complain about Hockey Canada no matter what they do. Whether it’s picking the “wrong” coach or selecting the “wrong” players, they just always have a beef with what they do. Even when they win, instead of just enjoying the win they always still have to question the coaching and the player selection... then when/if they lose (which is more likely then unlikely) they can boast about how they were right. It’s sad and pathetic but exactly what I’ve come to expect on here.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I have no evidence but I'm not expecting the Hunters back. It's a checkmark off Dale's list to have won the tournamentand Mark has NHL aspirations. I didn't think that Hunter did a great job or anything, certainly not as impressive as Groulx and Ducharme, but he was competent and certainly didn't sink the team like Spott or Lowry. Hockey Canada stepped out of its regular box when it went for the Hunters and I hope that it continues to go after the top coaches rather than the coaches who are familiar.

I'm surprised you feel that way because I thought he did do a great job. I thought he handled the early adversity well with the media, and got his team to respond. thought he managed the goalie situation well. I thought the lines were well constructed and got his best players on the ice often. Then he also got the most out of his depth players when called upon.

If I had to fault him for one thing, he should have been playing McMichael in the top 6 from the get go. I think this may have been him trying to not show favoritism/bias to his club team players?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm surprised you feel that way because I thought he did do a great job. I thought he handled the early adversity well with the media, and got his team to respond. thought he managed the goalie situation well. I thought the lines were well constructed and got his best players on the ice often. Then he also got the most out of his depth players when called upon.

If I had to fault him for one thing, he should have been playing McMichael in the top 6 from the get go. I think this may have been him trying to not show favoritism/bias to his club team players?

He definitely handled the goalie situation well. The powerplay worked well too. Hunter rides his top players a lot and it worked out in the end, but that method somewhat wastes Canada's edge in depth and Canada's depth has decided this tournament many times. I mainly didn't like the way the defencemen played at all, especially on the breakout, which is was more Tourigny's realm as he was in charge of the defencemen. The loss where Canada rolled over to Russia still leaves a bad taste in the mouth as well. There were good and bad aspects but again in the end he was competent and the team won. If Hockey Canada brings Hunter back sometime that's fine as he's certainly better than most of the coaches that have been brought in recently.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
He definitely handled the goalie situation well. The powerplay worked well too. Hunter rides his top players a lot and it worked out in the end, but that method somewhat wastes Canada's edge in depth and Canada's depth has decided this tournament many times. I mainly didn't like the way the defencemen played at all, especially on the breakout, which is was more Tourigny's realm as he was in charge of the defencemen. The loss where Canada rolled over to Russia still leaves a bad taste in the mouth as well. There were good and bad aspects but again in the end he was competent and the team won. If Hockey Canada brings Hunter back sometime that's fine as he's certainly better than most of the coaches that have been brought in recently.

Maybe I have a lowered my standards a bit and have recency bias because the year before the coaching was so poor. Agree on the loss. What I didn't like about the 6-0 loss was that the players didn't respond with any effort in the 3rd and just laid down.

The top line for Canada was far and away there best line so I have a hard time arguing that using depth would have been more effective. I think more balanced lines would have been more effective if Lafreniere wasn't on the team. There wasn't much of a difference in skill between 2nd , 3rd, 4th lines but the 1st was far better and deserving of more ice time

Reactions: Dominance

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I've read most rosters proposed and I'm not seeing ONE PERSON go with the Lapierre Perfetti duo made famous at Hlinka, something is wrong.

Lapierre definitely isn't an option for our top-12 forward next year even without Laf and Byfield, given his injury. We can reavaluate next October depending on his performances

Perfetti should make it on the basis that he's the best 18 years old we'll have (I highly doubt they go with an all 19 yrs forward group, althoug it is possible). 2020 eligibles Holloway and Zary will be 19 years old so they are a small step ahead of Perfetti at this point imo

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Lapierre definitely isn't an option for our top-12 forward next year even without Laf and Byfield, given his injury. We can reavaluate next October depending on his performances

Perfetti should make it on the basis that he's the best 18 years old we'll have (I highly doubt they go with an all 19 yrs forward group, althoug it is possible). 2020 eligibles Holloway and Zary will be 19 years old so they are a small step ahead of Perfetti at this point imo

Time will tell but Johnson might actually be better. Irregardless at least the folks at Hockey Canada now can see they can win this tournament with a young team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Time will tell but Johnson might actually be better. Irregardless at least the folks at Hockey Canada now can see they can win this tournament with a young team.

He'll be in tough as an undrafted NCAA player, but hopefully Hockey Canada gives the top players a fair shake at the team.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Looking at the roster posted by @Sens72, was wondering about the goalie situation. Just 1 goalie listed, are there any other names there for goaltenders?

Put a bunch of Canadian goalie names on a board and then throw a dart. Pretty much that's what we're looking so far. No one goalie has the inside track. Pretty much hoping some goalies show strongly next year and make it easy to be selected.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Dylan Garand is the front runner right now and Sebastian Cossa for a other spot but there's no slam dunk option as of yet. Cossa is also draft eligible next year(late bday though) so will be interesting if HC follows suit with the youth movement in net like with skaters this year.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

It's official.

As always it's 1 and done for our coaches. I was hoping for 2-3 years. but oh well.

Hopefully Byfield is back as well.

SleepyJoeyB

Dec 26, 2019
I have no evidence but I'm not expecting the Hunters back. It's a checkmark off Dale's list to have won the tournamentand .

The reality was, he was in a no lose situation, so that's why his brother gave him the job (how many others were given the gig without any previous experience with the team). If Canada fell short, it's just another blunder on Hockey Canada, if they won, he can try and take credit. His biggest decision was picking the tender, and he went against what most people thought, and it proved to be wrong.

You won't see him back since if they don't win next year, this past year's win might be called into question. David Branch's days in the OHL are coming to an end, and so will Dale's. He just hopes they can keep a lid on the back room deals.

Reactions: RosstheBoss

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's official.

As always it's 1 and done for our coaches. I was hoping for 2-3 years. but oh well.

Hopefully Byfield is back as well.

Ah, as expected. Hoping for the best but not expecting it. At least with Ducharme there was a nice two year run.

The reality was, he was in a no lose situation, so that's why his brother gave him the job (how many others were given the gig without any previous experience with the team). If Canada fell short, it's just another blunder on Hockey Canada, if they won, he can try and take credit. His biggest decision was picking the tender, and he went against what most people thought, and it proved to be wrong.

You won't see him back since if they don't win next year, this past year's win might be called into question. David Branch's days in the OHL are coming to an end, and so will Dale's. He just hopes they can keep a lid on the back room deals.

You're probably right. I'm not expecting Dale Hunter back but I do hope that Hockey Canada keeps Mark Hunter around for some time.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hmmmm, does this mean yet another snub for Newhook? Hope not.

I wouldn't be surprised. When Hockey Canada gets a book on a player it takes a lot for them to then deviate from it.

I'll be disappointed if he isn't on the team and on a line with Mercer, his fellow Newfoundlander. We can call it the Storm line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->