WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
How likely is it that Lapierre makes the squad?

Highly unlikely due to the quality and depth of 19 year olds available IMO.

The 19 year olds this year arent just guys you take "just because they are 19"

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I don't know about worse...definitely the most unknown though. Unlike last year we can't just grab the hottest Canadian goalies. Scouting staff is going to have to put some real work into it and use those connections. Find out what goalie has been doing what and working with who. I think you swing for the fences a bit here and bring in Devon Levi, Sebastian Cossa, Tristan Lennox, Taylor Gauthier, and Dylan Garand. If they only want to bring three...cut Gauthier and Garand.

Cut Garand? He had the 2nd best numbers in the WHL as a 17 year old.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Cut Garand? He had the 2nd best numbers in the WHL as a 17 year old.

He had the ~5th best numbers behind Sebastian Cossa for example. If just counting 17yo goalies then sure he was 2nd...once again behind Cossa. Add in that Lennox has very high potential & beat out Garand for the starting spot last year as well as Devon Levi lighting the WJAC on fire Garand isn't really a front runner. They'll bring him to camp because he's earned it through his WHL play but unless he's improved a fair amount he's a safe option. He'll go the way the team goes in front of him.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
He had the ~5th best numbers behind Sebastian Cossa for example. If just counting 17yo goalies then sure he was 2nd...once again behind Cossa. Add in that Lennox has very high potential & beat out Garand for the starting spot last year as well as Devon Levi lighting the WJAC on fire Garand isn't really a front runner. They'll bring him to camp because he's earned it through his WHL play but unless he's improved a fair amount he's a safe option. He'll go the way the team goes in front of him.

Sorry I should of clarified, best save percentage. Which is really the only goalie stat that matters.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Sorry I should of clarified, best save percentage. Which is really the only goalie stat that matters.

Garand finished 5th in WHL Goals Saved Above Average, 5th in GSAA/30, & 6th in Quality Starts %. A really good season no doubt that has put him in a spot to earn a position on Team Canada but far from an easy pick.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Garand finished 5th in WHL Goals Saved Above Average, 5th in GSAA/30, & 6th in Quality Starts %. A really good season no doubt that has put him in a spot to earn a position on Team Canada but far from an easy pick.

Well save percentage is the only stat that matters. GAA is a team stat. But I get where you're going for that.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I know no one want to risk injury with Lafreniere but his last game was early March. If the NHL re-start in January that is almost ten months without competitive hockey. Giving him a chance to get game shape at the tournament wouldn’t hurt him especially that it’s in Canada, no travel nothing. Some says he has nothing to win, but who are the last player to have lead (as a primary guy) the Canada to two gold medals?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I know no one want to risk injury with Lafreniere but his last game was early March. If the NHL re-start in January that is almost ten months without competitive hockey. Giving him a chance to get game shape at the tournament wouldn’t hurt him especially that it’s in Canada, no travel nothing. Some says he has nothing to win, but who are the last player to have lead (as a primary guy) the Canada to two gold medals?
Maybe Tavares? Though I probably wouldn't say he was the primary guy on the 08 team but he was a key piece.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

As strange as it sounds, maybe Steve Downie and Marc Staal. Both all stars in the 2006 tournament (or named top defenceman in Staal's case) and key pieces for Canada in 2007. You could argue Letang and Bourdon too. Tavares was a somewhat marginal piece in 2008, down the depth chart at even strength but getting quality powerplay time. Toews played behind people you wouldn't have expected in 2006.

Lindros was in a somewhat comparable situation in 1992 to where Lafreniere would be in 2021, but that didn't work out well for a few reasons.

Reactions: De Montreal

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not Goals Above Average, Goals Saved Above Average. GSAA vs GAA.

Advanced stats for goalies are even more "questionable" (a very generous term for this topic) than advanced stats for skaters. I'm not dismissing the notion as ridiculous or anything, but I think there are alot of us who still put the greatest value on save %, which in a large sample size is a pretty solid stat. I think it's more than reasonable to argue Garand based save percentage anyway.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sucks having a weak group this year with USA/Sweden/Russia all in the other group. It won't be the same not having a USA or Russia game in the round robin. It could also mean a tough QF matchup.

I might be more scared of Germany than most of those teams honestly. Half a game of Seider with Stuetzle upfront isnt going to be an easy matchup

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Any chance for Kent Johnson, Dylan Guenther and Owen Power?
Yes to Power. He's got everything you would like to see from a draft eligible defenseman to make the team, but he probably still doesn't make it. I would be 100% shocked if Guenther or Johnson get a serious look. They're very good players but the forwards Canada has at their disposal this year are unreal. There is little chance any draft eligible or younger forward makes it and if there is one Wright would be the favourite.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
People here are underselling beckman (I'm assuming because he's in the WHL). He just destroyed the whl as an 18 year old. He's gonna make the team and play 2nd or 3rd line.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Lambos is going to Finland until WHL starts, if he gets some pro games in Liiga which pretty much no North American player u20 ever does, shouldn't that bring him into consideration?

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Brochu
Garand
Gauthier
Lennox
Levi

Barron
Byram
Cormier
Drysdale
Guhle
Harley
Hunt
Korczak
Millman
O’Rourke
Power
Robertson
Schneider
Sebrango
Spence

Beckman
Bourque
Byfield
Clarke
Cozens
Foerster
Gonclaves
Greig
Holloway
Jarvis
Krebs
Lapierre
McMichael
Mercer
Newhook
Pelletier
Perfetti
Poulin
Quinn
Rees
Schwindt
Simoneau
Suzuki
Tomasino
Wright
Zary

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If somehow Lafreniere gets lent to this team, it will be the best team since 2005, when we had Crosby, Carter, Price, etc.

The late start to the season gives a unique opportunity to some players who normally already be in the NHL.

Finally, a WJC that might actually be a best on best of the U20 players. Pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad