Tennis: 2021 Australian Open

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix wins, 5. 5, 3, dominating Shapo in every aspect of the game. Kept his unforced errors under one a game and returned very well, especially in the clutch. Stellar all-around performance.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Like following a script: Thiem takes the fourth set, 6-4. Man, he has been as cool as a cucumber these last two sets. Wonder what is going through Kyrgios' head right not going into the fifth set.

Reactions: umbertovanek

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem serves out the match after a late break, 6-4. Major, major props to him for keeping his head in this madness. He was like Steve McQueen cool all match.

Reactions: umbertovanek

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz keeps giving Nole fits, taking him to a fourth set, but I can't keep my eyes open.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Happy to see Felix playing well. He's got a shot at his first GS QF.

I still believe the sky is the limit for him. He has all the physical tools to be #1...just needs to sort it out mentally.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I was quite shocked that the Felix/Denis match ended in 3 for Felix. I thought Denis would win fairly easily just because Felix tends to be mentally weak when the going gets tough. He played great, and I managed to PVR the match and not check social media! Somehow I missed PVRing Milos' match but saw parts of it today.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Happy to see Felix playing well. He's got a shot at his first GS QF.
Felix has his work cut out for him in the next round, though. Karatsev is no gimme. He lost only one game total in his first round slaughter of Gerasimov and dusted off Schwartzman 3, 3, 3. He's very aggressive, big forehand. I'd be tempted to lay some vcash on him if he came in at some ridiculous price.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix has his work cut out for him in the next round, though. Karatsev is no gimme. He lost only one game total in his first round slaughter of Gerasimov and dusted off Schwartzman 3, 3, 3. He's very aggressive, big forehand. I'd be tempted to lay some vcash on him if he came in at some ridiculous price.

Yup, they are 1-1 H2H. Both played on the CH tour.

Great chance for both of them.

Sep 19, 2008
Sabres and Bills owner Terry Pegula's daughter continues to raise eyebrows at the Australian Open with her play.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After behaving like the perfect tune-up player in the first two sets, tough but solvable, Krajinovic beats Medvedev at his own game in the third set to extend the match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Krajinovic, who has gone on hots streaks before in big matches, takes the fourth set easily. What usually does Krajinovic in is nerves, but this is a very tense spot for Daniil right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Krajinovic gets tentative immediately, 2-love. That didn't take long....nor did the rest of the set 6-love. Deniis may no longer have a coach, though, who stomped off angrily in the fourth set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A zoned-in Rublev, winning 94% of his first serve points, has little trouble with Lopez who is out of shape and has nothing left but his sense of gravitas.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No let down for Felix after his win over Shapo, Cruising right along up a set and an early break.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Sabalenka can move Serena around, she should be able to win this match.

Nothing wrong with Sabalenka's game plan, but her inconsistency off the ground and Serena's solid play sealed the deal late in the set for Serena, 6-4.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Karatsev working his way back in to the match, winning the third set and breaking Felix for 3-1 in the fourth.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Easy second set for Sabalenka, 6-2. Now, if she can hold her nerve, which is a big "if".

3rd set: With Sabalenka unable to get a first serve in or a groundstroke over the net, Serena goes up 3-1.

But Serena can't hold on to it, 4-all. Sabalenka hitting more freely now this set.

But Sabalenka gets broken for the set. Missed opportunity. Serena lives to fight another day.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Karatsev takes it to a fifth set, as Felix starts spraying balls around a little more. Toss up at this point.

Karatsev quickly up 3-1. Felix needs a big come back.

Felix almost goes down another break but saves four break points. 4-3 Karatsev to serve.

And Aslan serves it out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad