Tennis: 2021 Australian Open

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis found the perfect cure for playing the next match after a tough five setter: Bernard Tomic. Though to be fair, despite the one-sided straight set scores, Tomic did try harder than usual intermittently. The second and third game of the second set took a combined 24 minutes to play.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Down two sets to one but up a break in the fourth, Fritz looks more like a hockey goalie sometimes than a tennis player out there against Opelka. What a handful that guy is.

Sep 19, 2008
DVR'd the Wawrinka match last night, went 4 hours and 5 sets. Just finished watching

Good win by Fucsovics

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Though she can't cover much more than a postage stamp on the court anymore, Kuznetsova goes to a third set for about the thousandth time in a major, this time against an erratic Bencic...Bencic wins it in an absolutely brutal set from both women.

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Denis found the perfect cure for playing the next match after a tough five setter: Bernard Tomic. Though to be fair, despite the one-sided straight set scores, Tomic did try harder than usual intermittently. The second and third game of the second set took a combined 24 minutes to play.
Tomic the tank engine was back at his craft

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I'm sure Nole will pull out this match, but it underscores his general problem catching Roger/Rafa. He's not getting any younger and the competition is getting better.
Novak has had the highest highs and the lowest lows throughout his career. With all due respect to Fedal, they were never as dominant as Novak was in 2011 and 2015/early 2016, but on the contrary, they never hit such a low as Novak did in 2018 when he couldn't win 2 matches in a row for like 6 months straight.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I'd love to see Rafa win another Australian Open. He's come sooooo close to winning a 2nd here but hasn't been able to cross the finish line. If his back holds up, he'll have a great chance at doing so this year

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kenin the first major high seed to go out in straight sets to Kanepi, 3 and 2. She never found her game and Kanepi stayed red hot all the way, especially on serve and service return.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Kokkinakis had stayed healthy, I wonder where he would be right now. A lot higher than #47 (Kyrgios' current ranking), I'd guess.

He takes the first set tie breaker from Tsitsipas. Sure not much to choose between these two guys tonight so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After two close sets, Kontaveit blows Watson out of the water in the third, 6-2. I wish she would play with such abandon more often.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Does anyone speak Italian? I'm just watching the end of the Fognini/Caruso match and am wondering what they were arguing over.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Does anyone speak Italian? I'm just watching the end of the Fognini/Caruso match and am wondering what they were arguing over.

Fogna began to say that he expected Caruso to apologize for the lucky shots he threw during the match. For this reason he used an expression which means someone who is very lucky.

F: I can not say that you have "culo"?

C: I didn't allow myself to say a word the whole game

F: I can't say you are so lucky? What's the problem? I can't say you are so lucky?

C: You can't behave like that, I didn't say a word the whole game.

F: Can't I tell you that you were lucky? You do not like it? What can I tell you?

C: Enough! Let's say I don't expect it from you. It's not like that.

F: It's not like this, why? What's the problem?

More or less this has been said to each other, I underline that Fognini used idiomatic expressions and that the translation suffers a lot. However, I can assure you that Caruso has made the figure of the gentleman while Fognini the usual figure of the bully. In any case, the worst things were said during the match, where unfortunately I was only able, perhaps, to understand a lip of Fognini who said a very stupid thing to Caruso just to emphasize his superiority.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Milos plays sometime around 1 am and Felix/Denis at 3:30. I think I'm going to PVR everything and hide from Twitter and this place :D

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Milos plays sometime around 1 am and Felix/Denis at 3:30. I think I'm going to PVR everything and hide from Twitter and this place :D
I'm going try to stay up. It's not like I'm lunching at Canoe tomorrow or anything,

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Slo-pitch at John Cain Arena. Hsieh escapes once again, coming from behind 3-5 in the third set to defeat Errani in a real game of mouse and mouse.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wondering if Jabeur could throw a scare at Osaka. Probably not.

Hell of a match for five games, dead even at 28 points apiece. Then Jabbeur double faulted twice in a row to lead off a service break and things went downhill quickly for her after that. Good player, fragile confidence. 6-3, 6-2.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Serena had a scare in the first set from Potapova but made short work of it in the second set, 7-6, 6-2. Serena does not look mobile enough to win this tournament. Sharp outfit, though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Within a matter of a couple of minutes, Kyrgios and Felix win their opening sets against Thiem and Shapo respectively.

The way Felix is playing, I'd switch bets at this point.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix/Shapo: 20% seating capacity
Nick/Thiem: 90% seating capacity

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
An emotionally-charged (maybe dangerously so) Kyrgios takes the second set 6-4 with another late break.

Thiem up 2-love in the third. Cue the comeback. Nick could crash....over in a flash, 6-3. Here we go.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix with a late break on an incredible get takes the set with another immediate break, 7-5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad