Tennis: 2021 Australian Open

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Marino won her match today

Yup, good to see her back.

Diez and Bouchard also won their first round matches.

Schnur lost his and Polansky is down a set.

Polansky came back to win.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Diez and Bouchard out.

Genie had such a good draw too

There’s been a bunch of surprises on the women’s side. McNally Friedsam Dodin and a couple of others too all should have at least made it to the final match.

Reactions: Tuggy

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He always makes the wrong decision. I saw video of him in a small bus full of people and he wasn't wearing a mask.

Between that and organising a super spreader tennis event he had no hope in getting any of those demands.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Really would like for Nadal to get one more of these. He is obviously one of the top 5 of all time, but I think if he can get one more away from France (especially Aussie since he's only one it once) it would cement him as perhaps top 3 of all time.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Really would like for Nadal to get one more of these. He is obviously one of the top 5 of all time, but I think if he can get one more away from France (especially Aussie since he's only one it once) it would cement him as perhaps top 3 of all time.

Top 5? Is there really any doubt at this point that he's top 3? I'd have a hard time seeing the top 3 being anything other than just the big 3.

Reactions: HurricaneFanatic

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He wins another Australlian Open, I think he has a good case for #1 all time, though I would still give the nod to Roger or call it a tie. If Rafa wins the French and the Australian, then, case closed.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Top 5? Is there really any doubt at this point that he's top 3? I'd have a hard time seeing the top 3 being anything other than just the big 3.
I guess no doubt, but while his record away from France is pretty impressive, it isn't nearly as impressive as Federer, Joker, or even Samprass, but at the same time, their records in France aren't that great. I guess though you could argue Rafi is the greatest on clay and still great on the hard courts while the others are great on the hardcourts and just good on clay (well Sampras was bad on clay). So you could give the nod to Nadal that he is the GOAT if you think of it that way.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Top 3? A win in Australia would basically give him GOAT status at this point.

- It would give him the all-time slam record with 21
- He'd win the double career slam (no one in modern times has done so)
- He'll be 4 clear of Djokovic with the French Open as the next slam in May/June
- He'd be in the early driver's seat to finish year-end number 1 for the sixth time (equaling Sampras/Djokovic and surpassing Federer)
- Federer is going to be a middle aged man when he returns (it would be mission impossible for him to win another major at this point)
- He'll win a slam 16 years after his first (beats Federer's record of 15)

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Top 3? A win in Australia would basically give him GOAT status at this point.

- It would give him the all-time slam record with 21
- He'd win the double career slam (no one in modern times has done so)
- He'll be 4 clear of Djokovic with the French Open as the next slam in May/June
- He'd be in the early driver's seat to finish year-end number 1 for the sixth time (equaling Sampras/Djokovic and surpassing Federer)
- Federer is going to be a middle aged man when he returns (it would be mission impossible for him to win another major at this point)
- He'll win a slam 16 years after his first (beats Federer's record of 15)
All good points.

Plus though Roger has six ATP titles, Rafa has two Olympic Gold Medals, one in singles. Kind of a push, that.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL how the hell does Shapovalov get Sinner in R1? There are some barn burners on both sides. deMinaur/Sandgren Evans/Norrie Dimitrov/Cilic Wawrinka/Sousa. Women’s draw is straight up unfair. Bottom half got screwed, in particular Serena and Osaka. Some real good R1s though. Mertens/Leylah Hsieh/Pironkova Muchova/Ostapenko Gauff/Teichmann (again)Pliskova/Collins R2 (again)

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canadian first round matchups:

Raonic (14) - Coria
Shapovalov (11) - Sinner
Auger-Aliassime (20) - Stebe
Pospisil - Medvedev (4)

Fernandez - Mertens (18)
Andresscu (8) - Buzarnescu
Marino - Birrel

Raonic shouldn't have too much trouble.

Denis in real tough against Sinner. That should be a good one.

Stebe is a good draw for Felix. Felix is in a SF this week (and hopefully F), so we'll see if that has an effect.

Pospsil has beaten Medvedev before but that's a tough draw.

Mertens is tough but Leylah should have a shot there.

Who knows what to think about Andresscu. Won't know until she's on the court.

Marino got the best draw with an Aussie WC.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Canadian first round matchups:

Raonic (14) - Coria
Shapovalov (11) - Sinner
Auger-Aliassime (20) - Stebe
Pospisil - Medvedev (4)

Fernandez - Mertens (18)
Andresscu (8) - Buzarnescu
Marino - Birrel

Raonic shouldn't have too much trouble.

Denis in real tough against Sinner. That should be a good one.

Stebe is a good draw for Felix. Felix is in a SF this week (and hopefully F), so we'll see if that has an effect.

Pospsil has beaten Medvedev before but that's a tough draw.

Mertens is tough but Leylah should have a shot there.

Who knows what to think about Andresscu. Won't know until she's on the court.

Marino got the best draw with an Aussie WC.

Andresscu has a tough bracket to start. I really don’t like her getting Hsieh or Pironkova in round 2. Under circumstances where she’s in game shape she’s a fairly big favorite against both but being only one match in I don’t like her having to play a veteran player like that

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After two easy rounds, Nadal has a very tough looking draw (Evans, Berrettini, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Djokovic) and Nole does, too (Fritz, Raonic, Zverev, Thiem, Nadal or Medvedev. Actually, assuming Medvedev gets by Vasek, he has pretty clear sailing until the quartersf when he could run into Rublev, a real dark horse. Nadal is rumoured to still be recoveriing from a back problem, which, if true, won't help. Pretty even distribution overall, though.

Maybe a Medvedev/Djokovic final wouldn't be a crazy thought. Though if the take-over is real, Medvedev/Thiem would make the point better.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yikes, Serena. What a potential draw: Halep or Swiatek, Sabalenka, Osaka, and Barty or Kenin. Don't think that run is doable for her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->