Tennis: 2021 Australian Open

Sep 19, 2008
602baa8b2edd0f001a8d5d55

Oct 18, 2006
Djokovic through in 4, phew. His chances of taking his 9th AO increasing with every match.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tough four set win for Nole; Zverev hung tougher than I thought he would, but did blow a 3-love lead in the deciding set. One really bad service game sealed his fate. And, yeah, as for that "muscle tear" somewhere Kokkinakis and Kyrgios are nodding their heads.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
What a bizarre run from Karatsev. I have literally never heard of him prior to this tournament. Unfortunately I don't see a world where Novax doesn't destroy him.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This Djokovic/Zverev match is excruciating to watch.

Also, there is no way in hell he has a muscle tear.
Nole made a good point today, backed up by Sascha--the rash of injuries suffered by so many players. many serious enough to incapacitate, pretty clearly underscores the problems with 14-day quarantines. Sascha suggested an NHL appoach--create a bubble in one place and play several tournaments there before moving to the next bubble. He points out no one will be attending matches in Europe anyway, so what difference does it make where they are played?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tonight (using the term loosely)

Brady over Pegula--two reasons: one, Brady is more experienced and, two, she is Pegula's frequent doubles and practice partner. Pegula's often hard, flat groundstrokes have been skiddingly effective on this surface and driving opponents to distraction. If anybody knows how to handle them, it's Pegula's practice partner.

Rublev over Medvedev--the day will come when Andrey moves past Daniil. It might not be tonight, but it could be

Barty over Muchova--Barty is #1, but she makes me nervous. Can't see Muchova being good enough to beat her, though.

Rafa over Tsitsipas--Each match Rafa looks a little better. The likelihood of a Nole/Deniis final still seems very possible, but it is historically a fool's errand underrating Nadal.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Barty won eight of the first nine games, was sailing along as Muchova was clearly over her head and nervous. Muchova takes a medical time out, comes back and wins the match 6-3, 6-2 in the second and third sets. Well, that's why Barty makes me nervous. Muchova dominated on second serve, a high kicker, that Ash could do nothing with in the last two sets, losing 81% of Karolina's second serves. Muchova looked sombre the whole time, like the sky might fall any second now, but she played good, conservative tennis despite her nerves. She showed no emotion whatsoever at the end of the match except mild relief. What a strange semi we are going to have--one could call it "the runner up" semi.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pegula blows a break but gets it right back and takes the set from Brady 6-4. She has a game with a couple of different wrinkles, is an opportunist, but mostly she just seems unflappable, calmly moving from point to point with little evidence of nerves despite being in the quarterfinals of a GS. On paper, she doesn't look like she belongs, but on the court she is making a very strong case.

2nd set: Pegula finally shows nerves as Brady, finding her game in awkward fits and spurts, wins 6-2 despite some awful stretches of tennis herself.

3rd set: Brady finally finds her game and Pegula saves the worst for last, 6-1. Quite a run, though.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, this should be a treat.

1st set: Pretty sloppy, especially from Andrey, but highly competititive, 7-5, Deniis.

2nd seset: Some breathtaking tennis by both players including a 43 stroke ralley that was like watching heavyweight boxers trade haymakers....fitness becoming a factor as a tired Rublev is broken for 5-3.

If Daniil gets this over in three, he'll be very fit for his semi with Rafa. Rublev has great physical skills and a lot of heart but Medevedev has both that and patience, varitety and tactical sophistication and the ability to wear his opponent down to a nub.

3rd set: Poor Rublev. Medvedev is relentless and Andrey's tank doesn't even have fumes....and, there, the poor guy loses another 26 stroke rally....Medvedev takes it 6-2. Awesome performance.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa goes up two sets, Stefanos wins a breaker, and the marathon is on. Tsitsipas wins a magnificent fifth set 7-5 as both players fought like lions. This will go down as one of the greatest Australian Open matches of the modern era. Kudos to Nadal for going out on his shield. And for Stefanos, maybe his greatest win, certainly his greatest comeback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Tonight (using the term loosely)

Brady over Pegula--two reasons: one, Brady is more experienced and, two, she is Pegula's frequent doubles and practice partner. Pegula's often hard, flat groundstrokes have been skiddingly effective on this surface and driving opponents to distraction. If anybody knows how to handle them, it's Pegula's practice partner.

Rublev over Medvedev--the day will come when Andrey moves past Daniil. It might not be tonight, but it could be

Barty over Muchova--Barty is #1, but she makes me nervous. Can't see Muchova being good enough to beat her, though.

Rafa over Tsitsipas--Each match Rafa looks a little better. The likelihood of a Nole/Deniis final still seems very possible, but it is historically a fool's errand underrating Nadal.

1 out of 4 ain't bad!

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I woke up when it was 3 all in the 5th and hoped for Tsitsipas but didn't really think it would happen. What a great win for him.

Also, sports psychologists need to work with players about keeping up momentum after an injury time out. There was no reason for Barty to lose that match and it isn't just her, it happens every time a player gets a time out unless they're really on death's doorstep. They need to be more ruthless.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Barty won eight of the first nine games, was sailing along as Muchova was clearly over her head and nervous. Muchova takes a medical time out, comes back and wins the match 6-3, 6-2 in the second and third sets. Well, that's why Barty makes me nervous. Muchova dominated on second serve, a high kicker, that Ash could do nothing with in the last two sets, losing 81% of Karolina's second serves. Muchova looked sombre the whole time, like the sky might fall any second now, but she played good, conservative tennis despite her nerves. She showed no emotion whatsoever at the end of the match except mild relief. What a strange semi we are going to have--one could call it "the runner up" semi.
Muchova is a bit of a riser... she stands a 50-50 chance of making the finals to, like you said, probably lose but what an opportunity for her! She's had a killer draw so far too... 3 seeds in a row. On paper, her semi is the lowest ranked player she's seen in a week. 50-50.. hope she can hit the finals! That'd be great!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1 out of 4 ain't bad!
Actually I was just celebrating that fact. This represents a significant improvement for me and brings my lifetime 21-702 percentage way up.

More fearless forecasts (just bet against them and become rich):

Nole over Karatsev: Been nice knowing ya, Aslan. But think of what he accomplished: after years in the boonies, never rising about #111 in all that time, he can now tell his grandchildren that he once was a top 50 player. Good for you, pal.

Brady over Muchova: Almost certainly I will get this one wrong, but going with the more experienced players even though she looks like her nerves could be a factor. Muchova just managed to close out Barty, so she's got nerves, too.

Osaka over Serena: Can Serena put two matches in a row together like she was the old Serena? I wouldn't put it past her. Still an in-form Osaka playing very well herself is too hard to pass up.

With a little luck, I will be one for three this time! Cue the parade.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm thinking Medvedev will break through and win his first slam. I like how he's playing. Djokovic is still the favorite and Tsitsipas could take out Medvedev, while Djokovic gets a free spot in the final, but I see Medvedev as playing the best tennis of those that are left.

Reactions: kihei

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Nadal. Just.. Damn. Was hoping he'd get one more in Australia. He just can't really seem to put it all together there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Barring an all-time unexpected upset, whoever wins this semi is almost certainly the Australian champion.

Reactions: Hawkman

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Osaka must have been a chaise lounge in a former life because she is so laid back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad