2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i wonder if his amateur scouting is going to be around the world, or just US. pretty cool job if you ask me
Definitely and amateur coaches move into scouting all the time, recruiting isn’t that much different. (And they have an affinity for young players or they wouldn’t have coached.) I wouldn’t be surprised if he went into management either.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Three interesting San Diego AHL UFA:

Keegan Lowe LD, 'A', 'C' with Bakersfield prior two seasons, 28
Alex Limoges Cener, undrafted Penn State grad, teammate of Talvitie, 'C' senior year, 23
Matt Lorito RW/LW, Albany retread, 31

Anaheim NHL UFA

Andrew Poturalski C/RW, Gulls leading scorer last season, 27

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Alex Limoges Cener, undrafted Penn State grad, teammate of Talvitie, 'C' senior year, 23

Anaheim NHL UFA

lol lorito, glad he's still playing

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Anaheim NHL UFA

I remember Limoges from watching Talvitie at PSU. He looked solid in college.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Anaheim NHL UFA

Poturalski is interesting because the Ducks particularly like to spend big on their AHL team since they have an arena that holds 14.6k for hockey and play in the 8th biggest city in the US.

It looks like they swapped him out for Danny O’Regan from Henderson Silver Knights. They gave O’Regan a two year deal with a minors salary of 450k. He got 300k from Vegas last year.

The Ducks had snagged Poturalski from Carolina, who definitely don’t pay AHL tweener ringers to help their AHL club they just draft really well, and he made 350k two seasons in a row.

Chase De Leo was making 140k on the Gulls and we stole him by paying him 300k.

We lured the 33 year old Flynn from Europe by paying him 280k.

This was all to replace Street, who the Devils were paying 425k. The season before we got Street he was with the Gulls, making 750k with a one way contract with the Ducks in 2018-19 (after two huge AHL season in Grand Rapids for Detroit) and he played 21 games with Anaheim.

And as I think (and write) about it, Poturalski might be hoping for a one way deal and/or the best opportunity to play a little in the NHL. Or he might just be looking for the biggest payday. It’s possible that the Devils might have simply assumed the Ducks were keeping the AHL’s leading scorer. (Just in point totals, most guys didn’t play 44 games like Poturalski did.) He is the puck-handing playing facilitator we need (though the guys we got have skillz.)

I don’t see them going that veteran heavy in scoring forwards in Utica and Flynn has the advantage of being 6’1” and having played in 275 NHL games. I’d like a vet defenseman more than anything. (Though Poturalski would be pretty cool, don’t get me wrong.)

This more than anyone could have wanted written about San Diego Gulls players lol

And I really want Ben Thomas (RD oh! ah!) even though the best read I can get on him from Tampa fans is he was fine in his call up and they want to keep him. I don’t know why I bothered checking because fans opinions of defensemen from short call-ups are typically useless (even our own). Still fixated on him though. Barely know a thing about him, go get him Fitz!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wonder if Dineen could be the heir apparent to Ruff. You wonder how long Ruff will want to continue the grind, but it's interesting to think about.

Well actually, I just looked and they're really not that wide of an age gap. Dineen is only 4 years younger.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Utica Comets management team is in order.
Robert Esche remains the Comets President.
Assistant Devils GM Dan MacKinnon is the Utica Comets GM.
Head Coach Kevin DiNeen

These guys return to work with Dineen.
Associate Coach Sergei Brylin
Assistant Coach Ryan Parent
Goaltending Coach Brian Eklund

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Don't know much about Pat Williams but a blanket statement about the Devils' AHL system seems to completely ignore the progress made the past couple of seasons. The success of players like Sharangovich, McLeod, and Bastian could be directly attributed to their time spent in Binghamton.

Had the pandemic not ended the 2019-20 season, the Devils were poised for a Calder Cup playoff run. For myriad reasons, this past season was a wash. However, those players who received call-ups did not seem overwhelmed when they joined the NHL club.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica's home opener is sold out.

Just add it to the list. You won't find that any kind of surprise to any Comets fan. It's expected here. The Comets have sold out every regular season game since April 10, 2015 and that includes all playoff games which do not count in the AHL record books of team consecutive sellouts. They only count regular season games. It was 186 as of 2/29/20, the last game played in 1920. I don't know how they handled the games in 2021 when they opened up for 200 fans near the end of the season. I'd imagine they will pick up this season from the 2020 finish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino