2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Of the players currently signed and likely assigned to Utica 3 will be considered Veterans by AHL rules: Flynn, De Leo, and Russo.

Gambardella, Jaro Schmelzer, White are okay.

Should Jaros come down he JUST slides under the Veteran Exempt status set at 261 GP with his 259 GP between the NHL, SHL, and AHL.

AJ Greer is still un-signed. The kid puts up points at .64 PPG clip. His defensive numbers are just the opposite. If he were to sign, he would be the opposite of Jaros. He would be JUST over the 261 qualification with 263 GP. I'm betting there is a more defensively responsible guy out there who also puts up some points.

If Connor Carrick were to be re-signed and assigned to Utica, he would be a Veteran.

There are 6 players listed as centers:
De Leo
Zetterlund
Schnarr
Schmelzer
Talvite
Clarke (RW first and Center 2nd)

De Leo looks like he inherits the role of #1 center. If his work ethic is all it's built up to be, if his wingers can pick up on his effort they will be part of a very good line that will all collect points and cause other teams to have to plan to account for them.

Zetterlund has produced exactly 19 points in each of his 2AHL seasons for a ,48 PPG. On the last year of his ELC those numbers have to climb.

Schnarr was prolific his last year in JRs putting up 102 Pts in 65GP. however in 3 seasons in the AHL he has been a .42 PPG player/15/33 last year in Bingo. This is the final year of his ELC and it's time for him to break out if he is going to be considered high level NHL center material.

It's between Fabian and Nathan to determine the #2 and #3 Centers. Both are 3rd round draft picks on the 3rd year of their ELCs. It's time to rise to the occasion and become recognized as solid future NHL contenders. The guys in New Jersey have a big leg up on them and unless they see themselves on another team it's time to start pushing to show NJ that they are on the doorstep and want their shot at the show. Another mediocre season on the scoresheet won't bode well up above. They are already trying to fill their #3 center slot with an outsider. The message is clear. Prove to us that you belong up here or we will have to find someone that does.

Schmelzer was never drafted. I hear he is a more all around type center, hard work, good defensively, with leadership qualities. .41 PPG for a guy like this a respectable number for a PK, checking line, hard working leader. I hope that's the kind of guy he is. That role has to be filled by a steady Eddie who can be depended upon for the same strong effort game in and game out.

Talvite has never been an offensive threat since he came to North America whether you talk NCAA Penn State or Binghamton last year. The fact that NJ didn't feel he was worth a contract kinda agrees with me when I say I wouldn't consider him in the 4 game night centers. He needs to work his ass off so that when the time comes, and it will, he can step in and prove bringing him on board was worth it.

Clarke would be better used on a wing.

Another center wouldn't be a bad pick up.

There are 7 D-men signed and only 2 are Righties. Jaros would be a 3rd.
If Carrick were brought back, he would make 4. They really do need at least one more.

I may be a little off my analysis and I welcome clarification on my thoughts by those who have actually watched these guys since they put on the red and black.

By mid season I will have had time to watch these guys in action and make a more educated analysis.

At this time it is apparent that Fitz cannot be done because between the 2 teams there are not enough players. Only 1o forwards and 7 D are signed on the Devils list.

Only 11 forwards and 7 D are signed on the Comets list and there may be up downs either way.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Of the players currently signed and likely assigned to Utica 3 will be considered Veterans by AHL rules: Flynn, De Leo, and Russo.

Should Jaros come down he JUST slides under the Veteran Exempt status set at 261 GP with his 259 GP between the NHL, SHL, and AHL.

AJ Greer is still un-signed. The kid puts up points at .64 PPG clip. His defensive numbers are just the opposite. If he were to sign, he would be the opposite of Jaros. He would be JUST over the 261 qualification with 263 GP. I'm betting there is a more defensively responsible guy out there who also puts up some points.

If Connor Carrick were to be re-signed and assigned to Utica, he would be a Veteran.

De Leo
Zetterlund
Schnarr
Schmelzer
Talvite

De Leo looks like he inherits the role of #1 center. If his work ethic is all it's built up to be, if his wingers can pick up on his effort they will be part of a very good line that will all collect points and cause other teams to have to plan to account for them.

Zetterlund has produced exactly 19 points in each of his 2AHL seasons for a ,48 PPG. On the last year of his ELC those numbers have to climb.

Schnarr was prolific his last year in JRs putting up 102 Pts in 65GP. however in 3 seasons in the AHL he has been a .42 PPG player/15/33 last year in Bingo. This is the final year of his ELC and it's time for him to break out if he is going to be considered high level NHL center material.

It's between Fabian and Nathan to determine the #2 and #3 Centers. Both are 3rd round draft picks on the 3rd year of their ELCs. It's time to rise to the occasion and become recognized as solid future NHL contenders. The guys in New Jersey have a big leg up on them and unless they see themselves on another team it's time to start pushing to show NJ that they are on the doorstep and want their shot at the show. Another mediocre season on the scoresheet won't bode well up above. They are already trying to fill their #3 center slot with an outsider. The message is clear. Prove to us that you belong up here or we will have to find someone that does.

Schmelzer was never drafted. I hear he is a more all around type center, hard work, good defensively, with leadership qualities. .41 PPG for a guy like this a respectable number for a PK, checking line, hard working leader. I hope that's the kind of guy he is. That role has to be filled by a steady Eddie who can be depended upon for the same strong effort game in and game out.

Talvite has never been an offensive threat since he came to North America whether you talk NCAA Penn State or Binghamton last year. The fact that NJ didn't feel he was worth a contract kinda agrees with me when I say I wouldn't consider him in the 4 game night centers. He needs to work his ass off so that when the time comes, and it will, he can step in and prove bringing him on board was worth it.

If Carrick were brought back, he would make 4. They really do need at least one more.

I may be a little off my analysis and I welcome clarification on my thoughts by those who have actually watched these guys since they put on the red and black.

By mid season I will have had time to watch these guys in action and make a more educated analysis.

At this time it is apparent that Fitz cannot be done because between the 2 teams there are not enough players. Only 1o forwards and 7 D are signed on the Devils list.

Only 11 forwards and 7 D are signed on the Comets list and there may be up downs either way.

I think Zetterlund is a right wing? Also Talvitie was a very good player at PENN State as a freshman. 16 points 17 games. He was developing his game really well before his knee injury and family tragedy when he lost his mom to cancer. He was tough tenacious really smart and had more skill than expected. There was a reason he was the captain of the WJC team and scored a point per game in that tournament. I really hope that some more time to heal physically and emotionally gets him back on track. If he’s lost his skating then it may never happen but he had all the tools to be a bottom six NHL player.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think Zetterlund is a right wing? Also Talvitie was a very good player at PENN State as a freshman. 16 points 17 games. He was developing his game really well before his knee injury and family tragedy when he lost his mom to cancer. He was tough tenacious really smart and had more skill than expected. There was a reason he was the captain of the WJC team and scored a point per game in that tournament. I really hope that some more time to heal physically and emotionally gets him back on track. If he’s lost his skating then it may never happen but he had all the tools to be a bottom six NHL player.

Fabian is listed by CapFriendly as C/RW so if you saw him on RW that would cover it for them. :laugh:

It doesn't change my opinion that this has to be a big year for him whether on the wing or inn the middle.

If indeed it means Schnarr is one of the 4 that has to be counted upon in the middle, the pressure on him to up his game is increased. It makes him #2, Schmelzer #3, and Talvite #4 unless the coaching staff decides to move Clarke into the picture (listed as RW first and Center 2nd.

I only wish Talvite the best, but Penn state is not an NCAA power and most guys coming out of the NCAA undrafted see their numbers fall off in a big way. Most of them don't make it. I would be the first to cheer loud and strong if he beats the odds makers.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

De Leo
Zetterlund
Schnarr
Schmelzer
Talvite

Clark is a top six winger and don’t think he ever plays center last season. Tyce Thompson is only listed RW but has played center in college and he played center at times last season for Bing. I don’t think Thompson has a future as center and that was more out of desperation though, but he can play center.

Though I very much want Utica to win games, as Devils fan I view the team more in terms developing prospects. If the team think Schnarr and Talvitie have a future as bottom six center the should get playing time at the position as a bottom/middle six AHL center. Schmelzer is AHL bottom/middle six center to round out this group.

Gambradella has played center in the past, I don’t know if he’s a full-time winger in the AHL.

Players with a potential future as a bottom six NHL center shouldn’t play top center. Replacing Ben Street was a big off-season mission. It sounds like De Leo is an excellent PP guy, which is great, but I don’t know if he has the same upside Street had 5v5 in 2019-20. That’s not a knock on De Leo, I’m praising Street here, and De Leo is only 25 years old and is possible 1C.

It looks like Brian Flynn was the 1C for his NL (Swiss League) team so he’s also a possible candidate and they are likely done 1C shopping.

Mercer remains a huge wildcard at center, I don’t know if the teams sees him as a future winger or as a future two-way middle six center. I also could potentially see him playing center in AHL either way as it’s a more valuable position to be able to slot into at times. I think he probably ends up in the AHL but who knows if he does and I can’t swear to you he will play center.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Clark is a top six winger and don’t think he ever plays center last season. Tyce Thompson is only listed RW but has played center in college and he played center at times last season for Bing. I don’t think Thompson has a future as center and that was more out of desperation though, but he can play center.

Though I very much want Utica to win games, as Devils fan I view the team more in terms developing prospects. If the team think Schnarr and Talvitie have a future as bottom six center the should get playing time at the position as a bottom/middle six AHL center. Schmelzer is AHL bottom/middle six center to round out this group.

Gambradella has played center in the past, I don’t know if he’s a full-time winger in the AHL.

Players with a potential future as a bottom six NHL center shouldn’t play top center. Replacing Ben Street was a big off-season mission. It sounds like De Leo is an excellent PP guy, which is great, but I don’t know if he has the same upside Street had 5v5 in 2019-20. That’s not a knock on De Leo, I’m praising Street here, and De Leo is only 25 years old and is possible 1C.

It looks like Brian Flynn was the 1C for his NL (Swiss League) team so he’s also a possible candidate and they are likely done 1C shopping.

Mercer remains a huge wildcard at center, I don’t know if the teams sees him as a future winger or as a future two-way middle six center. I also could potentially see him playing center in AHL either way as it’s a more valuable position to be able to slot into at times. I think he probably ends up in the AHL but who knows if he does and I can’t swear to you he will play center.

Looks like we are all playing chess with invisible partners. Seems the best we can do at the moment is try to identify exactly who will be available for the Comets and wait for camp and see what the combinations are at that time. They will always be tweaking lines as players excel and others fail miserably. There will also be the necessary adjustments due to in house injuries and call-ups for same. The feces really hits the fan if you have injuries up top and the call-ups are gone and you have an equal number of injuries down here and there are not enough replacements and it's ECHL pin the tail on the donkey time.

Right now there have to be a few more signings as the numbers on both rosters are too low.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Has Hellickson been signed at all? I know he joined Binghamton at the end of last year on an AHL deal but was he also signed through next year?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

So, is it going to be Daws or Schmid with Wedgewood in Utica, while the other starts in Adirondack?

Has Hellickson been signed at all? I know he joined Binghamton at the end of last year on an AHL deal but was he also signed through next year?

With the depth at LHD we have, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't sign. Right now I don't think he even makes the defense in Utica.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So, is it going to be Daws or Schmid with Wedgewood in Utica, while the other starts in Adirondack?

With the depth at LHD we have, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't sign. Right now I don't think he even makes the defense in Utica.
Fitz said Daws in Utica a while back but I assume positions can be won or lost.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Same article (behind paywall) as before.

Certainly hope this is true. They bolted on us before an they just bolted on Binghamton.

Hope this change of heart is for real this time. Looking forward to watching this young group and still hoping for a couple more experienced pros to finish off the mix.

7 D-men, and that counts Jaros who may or not be in the mix. Even if he is, there will certainly be injuries in NJ and could be as many as 2 or even 3 at some point called up. Even with Christian the Comets need at least 2 more. They will constantly have guys moving in and out of the lineup all season long for multiple reasons.

The forward group is a whole lot of RWs. I see many Devils posters including Foote in their lineup. Right now the guys listed outright as LWs are Foote and Gambardella.

Foote is a LW
Gambardella played for AHL Bakersfield from 2017-18 through 2020-21.
'17-18 Center
'18-19 LW
'19-20 LW
'20-21 RW
Penciled in for LW as of now, but he can and has played all 3 spots. However, having been moved from center to the wing speaks to the idea that he wasn't the best centerman.
2 LWs

Holtz, Mercer, Thompson, Clarke, Zetterlund, Flynn and Irvine are either listed as RWs first or I have been told they played RW last season.
- Holtz is a RW
- Mercer is a RW, but I have read that he can play any forward position.
- Thompson is identified as a center by EliteProspects, a forward on the Binghamton roster, and posters tell me he was basically a RW.
- Clarke is a RW.
- Zetterlund has played for Binghamton for 2 seasons and is listed on their roster as a Center for both seasons. My new poster friends say he was a RW. So he must have played RW in spite of the Binghamton folks never formally making that adjustment.
- Irvine is a RW
6 RWs

Marian Studenic and AJ Greer have not been re-signed.
- Studenic has played 3 seasons in Bingo as a RW and has been a .42 PPG player.
- Greer only played part of last season in Binghamton recording 16Pts in 26 GP as a LW. His point total made him the team's 4th leading scorer while only playing in 26 of their 35 games. I hear tell his defensive work was not so good as his +/- was -15, one less than his 16 points. That made his offensive output 1 goal better than the number of goals against he was on the ice for. +/- is not a true indicator of a guys defensive play but totals this high in so few games does cause one to question his prowess on D.

- De Leo has been in the AHL for the past 6 seasons and 5 of the 6 he has been a center.
- Flynn played RW for Buffalo and Rochester in his rookie season 2013-13.
In '13-14 he played Center for the Sabres and again in the first 1/2 of '14-15.
Then he was traded to Montreal where he continued as a center through the '16-17 season.
In '17-18 he played in AHL Texas an is listed in their roster as a RW.
In '18-19 he played for AHL San Antonio and is listed in their roster as a RW.
He then spent the next 2 seasons ('19- 20 and '20-21) in the Swiss NL and is listed on both of those rosters as a C/RW.
What he will play in Utica is yet to be seen.
- Schnarr is a center.
- Talvite is a center.
- Schmelzer is a center.
So, 5 guys down the middle

Studenic and Greer would change the totals to 7 RWs and 3 LWS. It looks like if they are not signed the Comets need to acquire a couple LWs. As it is, somebody will be playing their off wings. Unless a prospect is knocking the socks off his natural side moving him to the opposite side is not doing him any service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Studenic and Greer would change the totals to 7 RWs and 3 LWS. It looks like if they are not signed the Comets need to acquire a couple LWs. As it is somebody will be playing their off wings. Unless a prospect is knocking the socks off his natural side moving him to the opposite side is not doing him any service.

I'd assume Studenic and Greer will be re-signed. They were both given qualifying offers, so we want to keep them (or keep their rights). We still consider Studenic a legitimate NHL prospect, so losing him for nothing here would be annoying.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'd assume Studenic and Greer will be re-signed. They were both given qualifying offers, so we want to keep them (or keep their rights). We still consider Studenic a legitimate NHL prospect, so losing him for nothing here would be annoying.

Agreed, but....? Fitz is still turning his wheels. Maybe he replaces 1 or both in a deal forv something better. Never know until all the smoke is cleared.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Certainly hope this is true. They bolted on us before an they just bolted on Binghamton.

Hope this change of heart is for real this time. Looking forward to watching this young group and still hoping for a couple more experienced pros to finish off the mix.

7 D-men, and that counts Jaros who may or not be in the mix. Even if he is, there will certainly be injuries in NJ and could be as many as 2 or even 3 at some point called up. Even with Christian the Comets need at least 2 more. They will constantly have guys moving in and out of the lineup all season long for multiple reasons.

The forward group is a whole lot of RWs. I see many Devils posters including Foote in their lineup. Right now the guys listed outright as LWs are Foote and Gambardella.

Foote is a LW
Gambardella played for AHL Bakersfield from 2017-18 through 2020-21.
'17-18 Center
'18-19 LW
'19-20 LW
'20-21 RW
Penciled in for LW as of now, but he can and has played all 3 spots. However, having been moved from center to the wing speaks to the idea that he wasn't the best centerman.
2 LWs

Holtz, Mercer, Thompson, Clarke, Zetterlund, Flynn and Irvine are either listed as RWs first or I have been told they played RW last season.
- Holtz is a RW
- Mercer is a RW, but I have read that he can play any forward position.
- Thompson is identified as a center by EliteProspects, a forward on the Binghaton roster, and posters tell me he was basically a RW.
- Clarke is a RW.
- Zetterlund has played for Binghamton for 2 seasons and is listed on their roster as a Centerfor both seasons. My new poster friends say he was a RW. So e must have played RW in spite of the Binghamton folks never forammly making that adjustment.
- Irvine is a RW
6 RWs

Marian Studenic and AJ Greer have not been re-signed.
- Studenic has played 3 seasons in Bingo as a RW and has been a .42 PPG player.
- Greer only played part of last season in Binghamton recording 16Pts in 26 GP as a LW. His point total made him the team's 4th leading scorer while only playing in 26 of their 35 games. I hear tell his defensive work was not so good as his +/- was -15, one less than his 16 points. That made his offensive output 1 goal better than the number of goals against he was on the ice for. +/- is not a true indicator of a guys defensive play but totals this high in so few games does cause one to question his prowess on D.

- De Leo has been in the AHL for the past 6 seasons and 5 of the 6 he has been a center.
- Flynn played RW for Buffalo and Rochester in his rookie season 2013-13.
In '13-14 he played Center for the Sabres and again in the first 1/2 of '14-15.
Then he was traded to Montreal where he continued as a center through the '16-17 season.
In '17-18 he played in AHL Texas an is listed in their roster as a RW.
In '18-19 he played for AHL San Antonio and is listed in their roster as a RW.
He then spent the next 2 seasons ('19- 20 and '20-21) in the Swiss NL and is listed on both of those rosters as a C/RW.
What he will play in Utica is yet to be seen.
- Schnarr is a center.
- Talvite is a center.
- Schmelzer is a center.
So, 5 guys down the middle

Studenic and Greer would change the totals to 7 RWs and 3 LWS. It looks like if they are not signed the Comets need to acquire a couple LWs. As it is somebody will be playing their off wings. Unless a prospect is knocking the socks off his natural side moving him to the opposite side is not doing him any service.
Thompson did at center at time in his last two at Providence, particularly in his last season, and he played it last season at Bing (they weren’t a lot of options though). I’m guessing no one here is projecting him long term center but it’s not our call. Tyce has had experience there but he likely plays wing with the new guys at center.

I looked up the line-ups of Flynn’s NL team on Flashscore and they had him at center.

Ambri-Piotta results - Hockey, Switzerland  

I’m betting Mercer plays center if he’s in Utica but that’s just a guess and there’s several reasons that could end up not happening.

I agree that both Studenic and Greer will be signed. Studenic has upside as NHL defensive forward and Greer has size and that grit everyone is so into these days.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

The rumor mill has been simmering for days, even Ingolstadt's manager Larry Mitchell spoke during the week at the Panther's "Fan Stammtisch" that the EHC Red Bull Munich had hired a top center from the American Hockey League. According to information from Ice Hockey NEWS , the secret is now out: It is Ben Street, 34-year-old center forward and captain of the AHL team Binghamton Devils.

---

An official confirmation of the deal from the EHC Red Bull Munich is pending, but is expected soon.

München ist sich offenbar mit Ben Street, Kapitän der Binghamton Devils, einig

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York

The rumor mill has been simmering for days, even Ingolstadt's manager Larry Mitchell spoke during the week at the Panther's "Fan Stammtisch" that the EHC Red Bull Munich had hired a top center from the American Hockey League. According to information from Ice Hockey NEWS , the secret is now out: It is Ben Street, 34-year-old center forward and captain of the AHL team Binghamton Devils.

---

An official confirmation of the deal from the EHC Red Bull Munich is pending, but is expected soon.

I am happy for journeyman, like Street. They make decent money and get to travel the world playing the game they love. I lived in Europe and it was dope.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

---

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Good for Street and that squad became one of the top teams in DEL pretty much immediately after it got Red Bull’ed in 2013.

Apparently Munich wasn’t much for hockey before that. I only know this because of the sad demise of a team with one of my favorite names of all time, the Hamburg Freezers, who were briefly the Munich Barons until they were moved to Hamburg due to “lack of support” in 2002.

The Hamburg Freezers were owned by Anschutz Entertainment Group, a group of finance ghouls who, like Red Bull, own or have invested in a bunch teams including the LA Kings and a lot of MLS. They owned two DEL teams, the Hamburg Freezers and Eisbären Berlin, after creating the Freezers’ original team, the Munich Barons in 1999 by buying a DEL franchise from a Bavarian club, EV Landshut, in financial trouble.

They moved to Hamburg in 2002 and despite being popular the Freezers struggled in the standings. Then when the normally dominate Eisbären Berlin stumbled for few seasons, Anschutz Entertainment Group suddenly decided they didn’t want to spend money on two DEL teams in early May 2016. They didn’t renew the Freezers DEL license for 2016-17. The DEL gave them until May 24th to find another owner, because the league refused to support a team while searching for a new owner, and when a sale didn’t happen and after 14 years the Hamburg Freezers simply folded into nothingness with almost no warning.

Hamburg, with 1.8 million people, is Germany’s 2nd largest city and has an arena that holds almost 13k people but still doesn’t have a DEL team. The winners out of this were the Fischtown Penguins, who bought the open DEL license and moved their DEL2 team up. The Penguins are in
Bremerhaven, which has a population of ~114k and their arena holds ~4,600 people. Go figure.

I just learned this about the Hamburg Freezer checking dates on Wikipedia: “their German nickname was Eisschränke (iceboxes)”. I can’t even explain how much I love that, pour one out for the Freezers.

E7F1D592-C391-4659-97B9-48F6194FC247.jpeg

Across the Pond: The Deutsche Eishockey Liga’s Battle Against Money

Former NHLer & Freezer defenseman Chris Schubert tried to save it in six days with crowdfunding and investors.

Former NHLer Schubert’s last-ditch effort to save Hamburg Freezers fails, DEL team folds | The Hockey News on Sports Illustrated

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If Baumgartner is a good prospect why the Hell isn't he over here? He's 21 and playing in the Swiss NL. Time for him to get into North American hockey.

I have seen so many of these European prospects in the past decade finally arrive in North America at 22, 23 , and up who just bomb out on NA ice. I am a firm believer that at age 20 and no later than 21 these guys should be in NA playing in our pro leagues just like every Canadian and American kid.

It's also why I hate drafting Russians who don't play Jrs over here. Many of them never come over at all. I know the Devils have a few over there right now.

I'm not going to argue this with anyone. It's my opinion and it's not changing. I have heard all the arguments and I'm not buying any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->