2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well Andrew Poturalski, the AHL point leader last season from the Gulls, finally got signed. The Hurricanes got him with a one year two-way deal, with a minor league 200k salary, and guaranteed minimum salary of 250k.

I’m surprised he was that cheap, he got 350k, with a guaranteed minimum salary of 400k, the last two years from Anaheim. Maybe he really wanted to play for Carolina (and getting money from them is like getting blood from a stone).

I still feel like we might have targeted De Leo and Flynn on July 28th ironically not knowing Poturalski would be sitting there on the shelf for a while. (Ben Street was a former big money Gull before we signed him.)

Flynn (280k salary, no guaranteed salary listed) brings different dimensions though and De Leo (300k salary, no guaranteed salary listed) had 35 points in 37 games at age 25 so I’m not exactly complaining, particularly since it’s not like I’ve these guys play. (Well, I’m complaining a little, just because Poturalski went pretty cheap and he’s only 27.)

Gambardella got a 2 year two way deal, with a 280k salary the first year and 320k salary the second. We signed him on the 29th.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just add it to the list. You won't find that any kind of surprise to any Comets fan. It's expected here. The Comets have sold out every regular season game since April 10, 2015 and that includes all playoff games which do not count in the AHL record books of team consecutive sellouts. They only count regular season games. It was 186 as of 2/29/20, the last game played in 1920. I don't know how they handled the games in 2021 when they opened up for 200 fans near the end of the season. I'd imagine they will pick up this season from the 2020 finish.
Well, hell. Are tickets going to be hard to get?

This is something that I am not used to....I have been going to AHL games since the early 90's and I always bought tickets at the box office day of the game without a problem.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Reactions: JimEIV

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

This is something that I am not used to....I have been going to AHL games since the early 90's and I always bought tickets at the box office day of the game without a problem.
The Comets have a very long sell out streak going but there are always hundreds of empty seats each game. I think there will be even more empty seats this year as season ticket sales are down from previous years. Between COVID and a sizable increase in ticket prices this year filling the old barn this year won't be so easy.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Buy your ticket in advance from Empire State Tickets.

If you know when you want to attend, buy your ticket in advance and pick it up at the box office. I'd suggest earlier than later. Some games are more to the liking of given non season ticket holding fans than others. Empire sets up a diagram of the rink and where the available seats are for every game. For example if you were looking for a ticket for Oct 17th you'll see it's almost sold out already. Whereas if you look ahead to Nov. 6th, you will see there are tickets available in most sections, but it's low in many of them. Click on the section and it will show you the available seats.

Most of the gray rinkside seats are season ticket holders and thus, are not available. However, if you check on stubhub there might be some of those seats available being sold by the owner of the seat(s) who is not attending that game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Buy your ticket in advance from Empire State Tickets.

If you know when you want to attend, buy your ticket in advance and pick it up at the box office. I'd suggest earlier than later. Some games are more to the liking of given non season ticket holding fans than others. Empire sets up a diagram of the rink and where the available seats are for every game. For example if you were looking for a ticket for Oct 17th you'll see it's almost sold out already. Whereas if you look ahead to Nov. 6th, you will see there are tickets available in most sections, but it's low in many of them. Click on the section and it will show you the available seats.

Most of the gray rinkside seats are season ticket holders and thus, are not available. However, if you check on stubhub there might be some of those seats available being sold by the owner of the seat(s) who is not attending that game.
Thank you for the info.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
The way this will happen is the Devils signing more players for the NHL, pushing some marginal guys into playing more for Utica. I don't think there will be any more significant AHL additions.
Yeah. I'd like us to sign a cheap vet RW and cheap vet C for depth... both injury and not. I wonder if we'll have any camp invites.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The way this will happen is the Devils signing more players for the NHL, pushing some marginal guys into playing more for Utica. I don't think there will be any more significant AHL additions.

Based upon your theory Fitz had better get busy.

The Devils show 21 players and 3 goalies. The Non-roster shows 21 skaters and 2 goalies. All of these players are signed. The total comes to 43 and 5 are goalies.

We already know how the goalies will shake out: 2NHL, 2AHL, 1ECHL.

21 players is woefully low. 18 skaters + 2 keepers for a game night roster. 1 extra skater each.

2 or 3 extra Comets of which they now have 2 is a recipe for disaster.

Thunder and lightning.

I'll edit when it passes.

OK, that's over. So, now where were we.

The Comets will have 2 more skaters who are on AHL contracts in Schmelzer and Irvine. 3 of the Comets are classified as Veterans and 1 is Veteran Exempt. 2 more veterans could be acquired and the Comets would meet the AHL rules if all 6 were in the game night lineup. An AHL team is allowed 5 Vets and 1 VE.

You say the Comets should not look for any more 2-way contracts, but say the Devils are likely to add some players and that would push marginal players down. Those players are likely on 2-ways unless they send down a veteran. When I look at those signed on the Devils list, Studenic and Boqvist at forward and Jaros on D are the only 3 I could possibly see sent down. They are all on 2-way contracts.

There are also guys on PTOs that could be released from other teams as camps break. They could be veteran NHLers, unsigned AHL/NHL tweeners, and AHL vets. They would need to be signed and could get AHL contracts or 2-ways depending upon who they are, what their past has been, and how much NJ actually wants them.

Any way you cut it the Devils are way short on NHL skaters unless they will prefer to fill any holes that their lineup incurs as the season goes on with Comets. If Fitz is serious about the team taking a turn forward, 4 or 5 Comets put into that lineup likely results in a season like the one they just finished.

If he adds to prevent that, somebody has to get stashed in the AHL for those emergency spots. A couple Comets with more proven replacements and/or those he sent down at the final cut would be a better fix.

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

Both teams show 21 players and 2 goalies. All of these players are signed. The total comes to 44 and 6 are goalies.

We already know how the goalies will shake out: 2NHL, 2AHL, 2ECHL.

21 players is woefully low. 18 skaters + 2 keepers for a game night roster. 1 extra skater each.

Thunder and lightning.

Yeah, we are short on bodies at the moment.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Both teams show 21 players and 2 goalies. All of these players are signed. The total comes to 44 and 6 are goalies.

We already know how the goalies will shake out: 2NHL, 2AHL, 2ECHL.

Thunder and lightning.

I'm sure you and I just disagree about what constitutes a significant AHL player. I think they're done signing players to NHL contracts for the purpose of playing in the AHL. I would be surprised if they are done signing players at the AHL level, and likewise at the NHL level, but AHL players on NHL two-way contracts? I suspect that's over with.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Gentlemen, who bought AHLTV. Please tell me - if I buy it - will I be able to watch recordings of games, or there are available only live broadcasts?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Anyone know much about Matthew Bradley? Seems like he'd be an interesting candidate for an AHL contract if there are no red flags to his game.

Turned 24 in January and spent three years in the ECHL, winning a championship with Newfoundland in 2018-19 and having a big season (both in points and PIMS) for Greenville last year.

Drafted by the Canadiens in 2015 but never signed.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Anyone know much about Matthew Bradley? Seems like he'd be an interesting candidate for an AHL contract if there are no red flags to his game.

Turned 24 in January and spent three years in the ECHL, winning a championship with Newfoundland in 2018-19 and having a big season (both in points and PIMS) for Greenville last year.

Drafted by the Canadiens in 2015 but never signed.

From all I can find he appears to be one of the many ECHL players that puts up points at that level, but does little or nothing when promoted to the AHL. He hasn't even put up a ton of points with a .66 PPG avg. in 3 ECHL seasons. 7 pts in 22 playoff games with ECHL Newfoundland who won it all in '18-19 and only 2 pts in 8 GP this playoff season with Greenville.

In his last 2 Jr seasons he was just over 1 PPG as a center. Those are not big numbers to warrant a draft spot. Thus, nobody did. After which NO NHL team came calling to sign him to a 1-yr show me deal, which often occurs with guys they think might just bloom late and were overlooked.

He has decent size at 6'0" and 190 lbs. He is 24 and will turn 25 in January of this his 4th pro season. A guy who has been around that long who comes onto a team loaded with prospects is unlikely to see much time. He'd be depth at best.

What NJ could do is get him to their ECHL team in Adirondack and basically tell him he would have to put up big points, play a sound 2-way game, and make himself a serious prospect for advancement to Utica if they need a call-up in the middle.

Chances of NJ signing this guy would be nil and I don't think he's the kind of guy they want to sign to an AHL contract either unless it's just to stash him in the ECHL along with:

Samuel Laberge - (24, 6'2"/205 lbs LW) 2 uneventful seasons with the AHL Texas Stars where he put up 22Pts /97GP/.23 PPG. He then played all of the 2019-20 season in the LNAH (29Pts/33GP/.88PPG and last season with the ECHL Allen Americans (37Pts/50GP/.74PPG.)

Patrick Grasso - (25, 5'7"/170 lbs C) Fresh out of NCAA U of New Hampshire after 5 years with the Wildcats. Recorded .7 PPG avg over the 5 years there. Assume he must have suffered some kind of major injury in 2017-18 when he only played 10 games, thus earning him the right to a 5th season.

Jordan Kaplan - (24, 5'10"/170lbs F) 4yrs at NCAA Sacred Heart Univ. 1st pro season. 50 PPG avg with a college team that is meh at best.

Joe Masonius - (24, 6'0"/190lbsLD) 2 years in the ECHL with 4 different teams (.26PPG/50GP) and the last in the SPHL only playing 9 games and recording 1 pt, 26 PIM.

Of these 4 guys, who will all report to the Utica Comets training camp, the only one I see with a chance of sticking with the team at least to start would be Patrick Grasso.

That's of course assuming NJ signs a few more AHL level players to AHL contracts which needs to be done.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
From all I can find he appears to be one of the many ECHL players that puts up points at that level, but does little or nothing when promoted to the AHL. He hasn't even put up a ton of points with a .66 PPG avg. in 3 ECHL seasons. 7 pts in 22 playoff games with ECHL Newfoundland who won it all in '18-19 and only 2 pts in 8 GP this playoff season with Greenville.

In his last 2 Jr seasons he was just over 1 PPG as a center. Those are not big numbers to warrant a draft spot. Thus, he nobody did. After which NO NHL team even had him signed to a 1-yr show me deal, which often occurs with guys they think might just bloom late and were overlooked

He has decent size at 6'0" and 190 lbs. He is 24 and will turn 25 in January of this his 4th pro season. A guy who has been around that long who comes onto a team loaded with prospects is unlikely to see much time. He'd be depth at best.

What NJ could do is get him to their ECHL team in Adirondack and basically tell him he would have to put up big points, play a sound 2-way game, and make himself a serious prospect for advancement to Utica if they need call up in the middle.

Chances of NJ signing this guy would be nil.
Bradley was actually drafted in the 5th round (#131) in 2015 by Montreal, but his post-draft scoring was meh so the Habs let him walk unsigned.

His numbers are similar to 2016 Devils pick Gignac (#80). I was going to get more into that in detail then realized even I didn’t care. Gignac had a knee injury excuse, played in 127 AHL games but in general and scored at slightly better rate in the ECHL, but they’re both forwards who have likely plateaued in development.

So you’re right, his ECHL PPG aren’t that good and a great showing in the ECHL typically buys a player a job in Europe. For example, Cole Ully (26) has similar size and has played in the AHL, and has much better numbers (60 points in 55 games in 20-21) and he’s heading to Slovakia after four seasons of around a PPG in the ECHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad