2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Well at least he won't be banging on any Comets. He was always physical against the Comets. Dropped the gloves when needed. Might have been valuable to the Comets for that role.

Was hoping they might sign Arseneau to another AHL contract, but Vancouver just recently added him to the Abbotsford Canucks.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Given the quick turn around are we expecting the jerseys to be anything other than the Bing jerseys with a Comets logo ?
It's going to be the Utica Comets logo in red and black colors.

Esche said there would be a new logo in year two.

There will also be three promotional jerseys they will wear and presumably auction.

NOVEMBER 11 – MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY

In keeping with tradition, the Comets will host their annual Veteran’s Day Military Appreciation Game at 3:00 in the afternoon on November 11. In addition to players wearing specialty military jerseys, there will be a number of other activations, all focused on honoring those who have sacrificed it all to protect our freedoms.

FEBRUARY 2, 4 & 5 – SAVE OF THE DAY FOUNDATION WEEK

Save of the Day week returns for its fifth annual year! SOD week will feature a specialty jersey as well as other special features that highlight the foundation’s commitment to enhancing the lives of children and families throughout the Mohawk Valley.

MARCH 12 – ROARING 20S NIGHT

It’s the ‘roaring 2020s’ – so we’re throwing it back one century and experiencing what hockey might have looked like in the 1920s! We cannot wait for you to see the specialty jersey we’ve got in the works!

COMETS 2021-22 PROMOTIONAL SCHEDULE | Utica Comets Official Website

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I've gone through this entire group of names. One name leaped off the page, BRANDON PIRRI!!!!!!!!!

This guy is the perfect AHL stash for an NHL call-up. His AHL numbers are off the chart. .92 PPG 1n 364 AHL GP. His NHL numbers are more than okay for emergency usage, .44 PPG/276 NHL GP.

He is 30 yrs old, 6'1"/181lbs and is listed as a C/W meaning he plays all 3 forward positions. In the past 4 years he has played more games in the AHL than the NHL:
'17-18 - 52Pts/57GP Chicago Wolves
'18-19 - 42Pts/29GP Chicago Wolves
'19-20 - 35Pts/38GP Chicago Wolves
'20-21 - 10Pts/17GP Rockford IceHogs
He only played 50 total games in the NHL in those 4 seasons.

Last year's contract was a 1-way at $750K.
He would be a vet and the Comets currently have room for 2 more.

2) Kevin Roy is another AHL beauty. A 28 yr-old c/LW who is a 5 yr pro playing all but 25 games in the AHL and recording a .70 PPG. The best I can tell is he played for the Tuscon Roadrunners last season on an AHL PTO.

His last NHL deal was a 2-way with the Florida Panthers in 2019-20 and played for their AHL affiliate in Springfield before being traded to Pittsburgh for Ryan Haggerty. He finished the season with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. His contract for that season was $850K/$300K.

I think he would be available for an AHL contract for that same $300K.

He would not be a veteran.

3) Alan Quine is a 28 yr-old 6'0" 203lbs C/W (another that can play all 3 forward positions. He's an 8-yr pro with 106 games of NHL experience, .26 PPG. he has played 285 AHL games and scored at an .84PPG avg.

He played last season on a 2-way for the Flames at $735K/$400K

He would be veteran.

4) Tanner Fritz is another non-vet. He's a 29 yr-old, 5'11"/192lbs C/RW. He's a 6-yr pro who has produced at a .68 PPG pace in the AHL. He has played 42 games with the Islanders.

He was on the 2nd year of a 2-way with the Islanders that paid$700K/250K.

5) Dylan Blujus is a 6'3"/203lbs defensive minded RD that can moved the puck. He would be available for an AHL contract and be a good mentor for the D-prospects.

He would be a Veteran-exempt.

6) Mitch Reinke is 25 yr-old, 5'11"/181 lbs offensive minded RD. He has QBed PPs at the AHL level. His PPG is .56. He's done 2 consecutive 2-ways with St. Louis both the same salary of $750K/$100K.

He would be a non-vet.

7) Paul LaDue is a 28 yr-old, 6'2"/198lbs RD. He's played parts of his 5 years in the pros between the NHL(including 1 full season in 2018-19) and the AHL. His .5 PPG is the closest of the available D-men in the post to Reinke who's .52 PPG was #1.

His 2021 contract was 1-way with the Washington Capitals for $700K.

He too would be a non-vet.

There are other guys available on D and at forward. Many more forwards than D. Most are of the Veteran or VE status. A particular point producer at 35 years of age is Chris Mueller with a .72 AHL PPG. He put up 23Pts in 31GP for the Syracuse Crunch in 2019-20 before being traded to Anaheim for Patrick Sieloff.
He played for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms last season on an AHL contract.

The Comets need some more depth and the Devils need to stash a couple AHL/NHL level replacements in Utica or even a add a roster spot or 2 in NJ. Pirri struck me as qualifying for either one of these roles.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I've gone through this entire group of names. One name leaped off the page, BRANDON PIRRI!!!!!!!!!

This guy is the perfect AHL stash for an NHL call-up. His AHL numbers are off the chart. .92 PPG 1n 364 AHL GP. His NHL numbers are more than okay for emergency usage, .44 PPG/276 NHL GP.

He is 30 yrs old, 6'1"/181lbs and is listed as a C/W meaning he plays all 3 forward positions. In the past 4 years he has played more games in the AHL than the NHL:
'17-18 - 52Pts/57GP Chicago Wolves
'18-19 - 42Pts/29GP Chicago Wolves
'19-20 - 35Pts/38GP Chicago Wolves
'20-21 - 10Pts/17GP Rockford IceHogs
He only played 50 total games in the NHL in those 4 seasons.

Last year's contract was a 1-way at $750K.
He would be a vet and the Comets currently have room for 2 more.

2) Kevin Roy is another AHL beauty. A 28 yr-old c/LW who is a 5 yr pro playing all but 25 games in the AHL and recording a .70 PPG. The best I can tell is he played for the Tuscon Roadrunners last season on an AHL PTO.

His last NHL deal was a 2-way with the Florida Panthers in 2019-20 and played for their AHL affiliate in Springfield before being traded to Pittsburgh for Ryan Haggerty. He finished the season with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. His contract for that season was $850K/$300K.

I think he would be available for an AHL contract for that same $300K.

He would not be a veteran.

3) Alan Quine is a 28 yr-old 6'0" 203lbs C/W (another that can play all 3 forward positions. He's an 8-yr pro with 106 games of NHL experience, .26 PPG. he has played 285 AHL games and scored at an .84PPG avg.

He played last season on a 2-way for the Flames at $735K/$400K

He would be veteran.

4) Tanner Fritz is another non-vet. He's a 29 yr-old, 5'11"/192lbs C/RW. He's a 6-yr pro who has produced at a .68 PPG pace in the AHL. He has played 42 games with the Islanders.

He was on the 2nd year of a 2-way with the Islanders that paid$700K/250K.

5) Dylan Blujus is a 6'3"/203lbs defensive minded RD that can moved the puck. He would be available for an AHL contract and be a good mentor for the D-prospects.

He would be a Veteran-exempt.

6) Mitch Reinke is 25 yr-old, 5'11"/181 lbs offensive minded RD. He has QBed PPs at the AHL level. His PPG is .56. He's done 2 consecutive 2-ways with St. Louis both the same salary of $750K/$100K.

He would be a non-vet.

7) Paul LaDue is a 28 yr-old, 6'2"/198lbs RD. He's played parts of his 5 years in the pros between the NHL(including 1 full season in 2018-19) and the AHL. His .5 PPG is the closest of the available D-men in the post to Reinke who's .52 PPG was #1.

His 2021 contract was 1-way with the Washington Capitals for $700K.

He too would be a non-vet.

There are other guys available on D and at forward. Many more forwards than D. Most are of the Veteran or VE status. A particular point producer at 35 years of age is Chris Mueller with a .72 AHL PPG. He put up 23Pts in 31GP for the Syracuse Crunch in 2019-20 before being traded to Anaheim for Patrick Sieloff.
He played for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms last season on an AHL contract.

The Comets need some more depth and the Devils need to stash a couple AHL/NHL level replacements in Utica or even a add a roster spot or 2 in NJ. Pirri struck me as qualifying for either one of these roles.

I made this list before of the RHD from that tweet (as far as I can tell) so here it is updated. The bolded names are players who played in the NHL last season. (Three of them were on Utica which is weird.)

I’m not sure following all this so closely is exactly worthwhile, I was genuinely disappointed when I found out that Andy Welinski was signed on two-way deal by the Calgary Flames even though I barely know who he his.

Dylan Blujus (RHD) 27
295 AHL GP

Jack Dougherty (RHD) 25
285 AHL GP

Mitch Eliot (RHD) 23
53 AHL GP

Zach Giuttari (RHD) 25
23 AHL GP

Cody Goloubef (RHD) 31
342 AHL GP 160 NHL GP

Luke Green (RHD) 23
28 AHL GP

Nate Prosser (RHD) 35
186 AHL GP 360 NHL GP

Mitch Reinke (RHD) 25
140 AHL GP 2 NHL GP

Josh Wesley (RHD) 25
98 AHL GP

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I made this list before of the RHD from that tweet (as far as I can tell) so here it is updated. The bolded names are players who played in the NHL last season. (Three of them were on Utica which is weird.)

I’m not sure following all this so closely is exactly worthwhile, I was genuinely disappointed when I found out that Andy Welinski was signed on two-way deal by the Calgary Flames even though I barely know who he his.

Dylan Blujus (RHD) 27
295 AHL GP

Jack Dougherty (RHD) 25
285 AHL GP

Mitch Eliot (RHD) 23
53 AHL GP

Zach Giuttari (RHD) 25
23 AHL GP

Cody Goloubef (RHD) 31
342 AHL GP 160 NHL GP

Luke Green (RHD) 23
28 AHL GP

Nate Prosser (RHD) 35
186 AHL GP 360 NHL GP

Mitch Reinke (RHD) 25
140 AHL GP 2 NHL GP

Josh Wesley (RHD) 25
98 AHL GP

Eliot, Reinke, and Wesley all played here last year.
Blujus was with the Comets for 3 consecutive seasons before last when he was in Binghamton.

I'd take Reinke and Blujus back. Reinke is offensive minded and Blujus is solid defensively. Blujus would be a Veteran-exempt and Reinke is still a non-vet.

Paul LaDue is still unsigned and he's also a non-vet. .5 PPG in the AHL with 140GP.

Dylan Blujus would be an AHL contract.
Mitch Reinke (2-way with #750K/$100K)
Paul LaDue ($700K 1-way)
Nate Prosser (2-way, $700K/$425K)
Ben Thomas (2-way, $700K/$165k)
Jesper Lindgren (2-way, $775,833/$70K)
Chris Bigras (2-way, $700K/$250)
Cody Goloubet (2-way, $700K/$150K)
Michael Stone (2-way, $700K/$200K)
That's a bunch of RDs still on the market. Most with decent numbers and/or strong D reps in the AHL.

Jordie Benn is available as a depth NHL defender and he plays both sides. 2-way, $2Mil/$1.6Mil
Erik Gustafsson same situation RD/LD. 1-way $3Mil.
Then there's Sami Vatanen still available at RD. Last paid $2mil on a 1-way.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm unofficially racing my friend to get to all 30 MLB parks. Just discovered that the Comets would be in Cleveland in April and I could double up with baseball as well. Oddly it wouldn't be the first AHL game I've seen in Cleveland, I was there for work and caught a game when John Madden was coaching. He begrudgingly autographed my jersey during warmups. [/coolstorybro]

Edit: Assuming the NHL doesn't pull the rug and redo the schedule if they back out of the Olympics, this could be my Spring Break...

4/16: Devils@Kraken
4/17: (Seattle/Vegas)
4/18: Devils@Golden Knights
4/19: Pirates@Brewers
4/20: Comets@Monsters
4/21: White Sox@Guardians (that'll take some getting used to)
4/22: White Sox@Twins

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
In Fruitless RHD Randos Watch News:
Pour one out for Eliot and Wesley

Dylan Blujus (RHD) 27
295 AHL GP

Jack Dougherty (RHD) 25
285 AHL GP

Mitch Eliot (RHD) 23
53 AHL GP

to Rochester

Zach Giuttari (RHD) 25
23 AHL GP

Cody Goloubef (RHD) 31
342 AHL GP 160 NHL GP

Luke Green (RHD) 23
28 AHL GP

Nate Prosser (RHD) 35
186 AHL GP 360 NHL GP

Mitch Reinke (RHD) 25
140 AHL GP 2 NHL GP

Josh Wesley (RHD) 25
98 AHL GP

to Springfield

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In Fruitless RHD Randos Watch News:
Pour one out for Eliot and Wesley

Dylan Blujus (RHD) 27
295 AHL GP

Jack Dougherty (RHD) 25
285 AHL GP

Mitch Eliot (RHD) 23
53 AHL GP

to Rochester

Zach Giuttari (RHD) 25
23 AHL GP

Cody Goloubef (RHD) 31
342 AHL GP 160 NHL GP

Luke Green (RHD) 23
28 AHL GP

Nate Prosser (RHD) 35
186 AHL GP 360 NHL GP

Mitch Reinke (RHD) 25
140 AHL GP 2 NHL GP

Josh Wesley (RHD) 25
98 AHL GP

to Springfield

That's 2 I was hoping not to get. I saw enough of the duo in Utica to know they would not have been good choices to have return.

Prosser is probably the most intriguing option from a veteran standpoint.He is the typical NHL vet coming back to the AHL with a lot to offer the prospects especially his partner if paired with a kid for an extended period of time. Goloubef also seems to be more than adequate based upon his tweener resume, but not as strong as Prosser.

Having watched them play on our home ice, I'd still be good with Reinke and Blujus.

I don't like inexperienced guys. The additions need to be beyond the prospects in GP at the AHL level. They are supposed to act more as mentor/role models than raw prospects. On ice, in game corrections or advice on things that just happened and positioning adjustments can be of great assistance to a kid. They can come on the ice between whistles and also on the bench as a pairing partner can explain things in detail as to how a kid can better handle the situation he was just in. Some of these experienced guys have a wealth of knowledge and easy teaching approach on things they had difficulty doing themselves at the higher level, but they know exactly different ways they can be done.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That's 2 I was hoping not to get. I saw enough of the duo in Utica to know they would not have been good choices to have return.

Prosser is probably the most intriguing option from a veteran standpoint.He is the typical NHL vet coming back to the AHL with a lot to offer the prospects especially his partner if paired with a kid for an extended period of time. Goloubef also seems to be more than adequate based upon his tweener resume, but not as strong as Prosser.

Having watched them play on our home ice, I'd still be good with Reinke and Blujus.

I don't like inexperienced guys. The additions need to be beyond the prospects in GP at the AHL level. They are supposed to act more as mentor/role models than raw prospects. On ice, in game corrections or advice on things that just happened and positioning adjustments can be of great assistance to a kid. They can come on the ice between whistles and also on the bench as a pairing partner can explain things in detail as to how a kid can better handle the situation he was just in. Some of these experienced guys have a wealth of knowledge and easy teaching approach on things they had difficulty doing themselves at the higher level, but they know exactly different ways they can be done.

How many defenders does NJ likely have ticketed for Utica this season? I don't expect Bahl or any of the other prospects to make the team out of camp. The puts Bahl, Okhotiyuk, and Vukojevic on the left side with Walsh on the right. Then you have the extra guys listed on cap friendly like Groleau White and Russo. I'm not sure how many of those three play in the AHL this year but if they do I'm skeptical NJ adds the top of the lineup righty they should. Maybe they move Jaros down to Utica?

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
How many defenders does NJ likely have ticketed for Utica this season? I don't expect Bahl or any of the other prospects to make the team out of camp. The puts Bahl, Okhotiyuk, and Vukojevic on the left side with Walsh on the right. Then you have the extra guys listed on cap friendly like Groleau White and Russo. I'm not sure how many of those three play in the AHL this year but if they do I'm skeptical NJ adds the top of the lineup righty they should. Maybe they move Jaros down to Utica?
Bahl - (Jaros)
Okhotiuk - Russo
Vukojevic - Walsh
Groleau - White
Masonius
Greer

Groleau played a lot of games at RD last season. Okhotiuk played one. White probably played RD the most.

Greer got two games at LD.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bahl - (Jaros)
Okhotiuk - Russo
Vukojevic - Walsh
Groleau - White
Masonius
Greer

Groleau played a lot of games at RD last season. Okhotiuk played one. White probably played RD the most.

Greer got two games at LD.

I'd really be more than happy with your top 6. Jaros finishes the deal. Jersey has to sign an NHL D-man to make that happen, but it would be a great move for Utica. I saw that as happening the day he signed, but the longer Fitz sits without making a move, the more it looks like Jaros stays in Jersey. He's only a third yr pro and has spent the majority of those 1st 2 seasons in the AHL. That's what I based my opinion upon.

Is that your opinion on the pairings? If so, it will raise the hackles of a few NJ posters. They have the feeling that Walsh is almost ready to move onto the Devils roster for PK or Severson. Playing him on the 3rd pairing even if he is not better than Jaros or Russo will cause concern with those folks. LOL

Which of Ok and Vuk do you think is the better defender? I know Vuk had the better offensive season and was only -1 and OK was -9. The numbers say VUK is the better player, but I also know that the numbers are far from the determining factor as to who is a better defenseman.

Again, if this is your guess at the pairings it would be logical to put the weaker of the 2, OK, with the vet, Russo, and let the 2 top remaining kids, Vuk and Walsh, play together while putting your top prospect, Bahl, with Jaros and seeing how that duo can handle the pressure of going against the opponent's best.

I love this. Finally getting to talk about our guys and how they mesh.

I'm having a more difficulty time putting together the right 12 up front. I think I've got them picked out, but as to who goes with who, I don't have that mapped out. :huh:

PS.
I would not put Masonius on the AHL roster. Send him to Adirondack and pick up a good depth defender like Blujus.

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I'd really be more than happy with your top 6. Jaros finishes the deal. Jersey has to sign an NHL D-man to make that happen, but it would be a great move for Utica. I saw that as happening the day he signed, but the longer Fitz sits without making a move, the more it looks like Jaros stays in Jersey. He's only a third yr pro and has spent the majority of those 1st 2 seasons in the AHL. That's what I based my opinion upon.

Is that your opinion on the pairings? If so, it will raise the hackles of a few NJ posters. They have the feeling that Walsh is almost ready to move onto the Devils roster for PK or Severson. Playing him on the 3rd pairing even if he is not better than Jaros or Russo will cause concern with those folks. LOL

Which of Ok and Vuk do you think is the better defender? I know Vuk had the better offensive season and was only -1 and OK was -9. The numbers say VUK is the better player, but I also know that the numbers are far from the determining factor as to who is a better defenseman.

Again, if this is your guess at the pairings it would be logical to put the weaker of the 2, OK, with the vet, Russo, and let the 2 top remaining kids, Vuk and Walsh, play together while putting your top prospect, Bahl, with Jaros and seeing how that duo can handle the pressure of going against the opponent's best.

I love this. Finally getting to talk about our guys and how they mesh.

I'm having a more difficulty time putting together the right 12 up front. I think I've got them picked out, but as to who goes with who, I don't have that mapped out. :huh:

PS.
I would not put Masonius on the AHL roster. Send him to Adirondack and pick up a good depth defender like Blujus.

These are not pairings just depth on each side and not even.

At the end of the season when Kulikov was traded, Tennyson (and Carrick to a lesser extent) was (were) up in NJ.

This led to Groleau on the first pair and Vuk, Ok, White, Jacobs interchanging on the bottom pairs to end the season. I think even Bahl started a few games on the bottom.

Ok is (was before and at the time of Bahl's call up) the board's (and Chauvancy's, based on ten games watched) darling. I liked Bahl better and so did the NJ brass.

I like Vuk a lot. I don't dislike Ok at all, just the imo undeserved oohing and ahhing over him. Ok getting injured didn't help his case.

I thought Vuk had a season that exceeded expectations, but don't know if he will sustain it this season. Ok has higher expectations.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
(Foote) - (Boqvist) - Mercer
De Leo - Zetterlund - Clarke
Flynn - Thompson - Holtz
Greer - Schnarr - Talvitie
Gambardella - Schmelzer - Irvine
Laberge - Grasso - Kaplan

- [Rivera] - [Carrier]
- - [Harper]

Flynn can play C and could replace Street at 1C if Boqvist starts in NJ.

Thompson played mostly RW last season.

Rivera can play RW.

[Adirondack Thunder who have played for Albany/Binghamton prior to last season]

Could use some more LW.

edit: forgot Greer and Talvitie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad