Speculation: 2021-22 Trade Thread VI : Who's your Dadonov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This will come as a surprise to you warm-weather people, but a lot of people born in a "Canadian" climate (think: Northern Europe/Asia) are not remotely fond of year-round heat. At the end of 3 months of summer I am absolutely ready for -20C again.

Reactions: LuckyDucky

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
As the old saying goes...it's better to move a guy a year early than a year late...unfortunately we had a GM who was not proactive, and frankly delusional about the state of the team and Gibsons value is alot lower from playing behind a God awful team for 3+ years
Hopefully Verbeek can be more clear-eyed about the roster than BM was. He is certainly not beholden to anyone at this point.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I'm reposting the relevant part of the 32 thoughts comment:

"To summarize, he says Gibson wants to win but Elliotte figures it mostly boils down to whether they're on the way up, which he thinks Gibson can live with, or whether it's a 5 year rebuild and maybe he can't wait any longer."

I believe this accurately reflects Gibson's feelings. He hates losing. He does NOT want to go thru a multi-year rebuild. If the team can start being competitive soon then he'd like to stay. Can you at least agree on that?

So then it simply boils down to Verbeek's intentions. If this is a multi-year rebuild then it must be pretty obvious to Verbeek that the best move is to trade Gibson this summer. But we don't know what Verbeek will do because we don't know what Verbeek's rebuild plan is.

So yes, I believe that Gibson will be wearing another team's jersey in October and I've explained why. You believe he will stay and you've explained why. One of us will be wrong.

We have 3 weeks left of speculation about the direction of the roster. If you can't handle the intensity of the discussion or any opinion that deviates from your own, I suggest you either take a little vacation from HF or start blocking people you don't agree with.

Sigh

I never said that. This is why it gets tiresome. Not only are you failing to admit you were wrong, but now you're misrepresenting what I've said or are just flat out lying.

All I've done is question your reasoning. All you've done is move the goalposts.

Furthermore, I mentioned multiple times I'm willing and open to be proven wrong. I value honest discussions and think it is important to hear opinions I disagree with because it helps me look at things from another perspective. Those things are important to me.

I find it insulting that you are deliberately attempting to paint an inaccurate account of our discussion and then suggest I should get off HF or block people. I certainly wouldn't have the audacity to suggest you do either one of those things because I'm not an infant.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This will come as a surprise to you warm-weather people, but a lot of people born in a "Canadian" climate (think: Northern Europe/Asia) are not remotely fond of year-round heat. At the end of 3 months of summer I am absolutely ready for -20C again.
Yes shoveling snow at 5am everyday is great. Doing a basic errand is a pain in the ass in the snow.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I dislike mowing my lawn more than shoveling snow (I've got a BIG yard, lol).
Mowing your lawn is optional and you can do it whenever you have time or feel like it, shoveling snow/cleaning your car off getting it ready to drive every morning is not. Snow is one of the biggest pains in the ass there is.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sigh

I never said that. This is why it gets tiresome. Not only are you failing to admit you were wrong, but now you're misrepresenting what I've said or are just flat out lying.

All I've done is question your reasoning. All you've done is move the goalposts.

Furthermore, I mentioned multiple times I'm willing and open to be proven wrong. I value honest discussions and think it is important to hear opinions I disagree with because it helps me look at things from another perspective. Those things are important to me.

I find it insulting that you are deliberately attempting to paint an inaccurate account of our discussion and then suggest I should get off HF or block people. I certainly wouldn't have the audacity to suggest you do either one of those things because I'm not an infant.
Neither of us can be wrong at this point because nothing will happen for another 3 weeks. In the meantime, it's a fricken discussion!!!

One of us will be right in the next 30 days. In the meantime, please resist the urge to respond to any of my posts regarding Gibson. I certainly will do the same for you.

I agree it is very tiresome.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Mowing your lawn is optional and you can do it whenever you have time or feel like it, shoveling snow/cleaning your car off getting it ready to drive every morning is not. Snow is one of the biggest pains in the ass there is.

Eh, I have several neighbors that do nothing with their snow. It packs down, life goes on

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Neither of us can be wrong at this point because nothing will happen for another 3 weeks. In the meantime, it's a fricken discussion!!!

One of us will be right in the next 30 days. In the meantime, please resist the urge to respond to any of my posts regarding Gibson. I certainly will do the same for you.

I agree it is very tiresome.

Again with the audacity. I really don't understand how you think you have the right to tell other people what to do. It's really absurd and just makes you look foolish.

There is nothing I will be right or wrong about in 3 weeks because I haven't made any claims as you have. What don't you understand about that? You've already claimed Gibson wanted out and have been proven wrong. I really am flabbergasted at how you continue to delude yourself. That's not to say it isn't still entertaining.

Reactions: Duck Off and bsu

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Again with the audacity. I really don't understand how you think you have the right to tell other people what to do. It's really absurd and just makes you look foolish.

There is nothing I will be right or wrong about in 3 weeks because I haven't made any claims as you have. What don't you understand about that? You've already claimed Gibson wanted out and have been proven wrong. I really am flabbergasted at how you continue to delude yourself. That's not to say it isn't still entertaining.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I find the whole Dadonov thing confusing as hell (to be honest I’m actually kind of ‘insulted’ that he chose to go back to Canada). He would’ve provided us with a bit more seasoned ‘offense’ over some of the UFA options out there that we float around here.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I find the whole Dadonov thing confusing as hell (to be honest I’m actually kind of ‘insulted’ that he chose to go back to Canada). He would’ve provided us with a bit more seasoned ‘offense’ over some of the UFA options out there that we float around here.
Depends on what happens but I think I'll be OK that it didn't happen. It was a unique opportunity at the time but they might be able to get a better player and/or a better fit than someone like Dadonov who IMO is kind of underwhelming.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah I mean it was nothing but positive from our end. Not only would we have gotten a draft pick and a useful player, we would have also been able to jettison the John Moore contract. Granted, that's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things and shouldn't really prevent anything, but it's just sort of there wasting space.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Pacioretty is next...

Probably won't be necessary now unless they plan to make a big move in free agency or trade. As it stands once they dump Brossoit they're going to have more than 7m in LTIR space with 9F 7D 2G signed.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Probably won't be necessary now unless they plan to make a big move in free agency or trade. As it stands once they dump Brossoit they're going to have more than 7m in LTIR space with 8F 7D 2G signed.
True...they do have options but it is still going to be extremely tight. The most obvious is to not resign Smith and Janmark. That would leave about $7 million for six players (Kolesar, Roy, Hague, Howden and 2 ELC contracts to replace Smith and Janmark). I don't think there is enough money to go around there.

Trading Pacioretty frees up $7 million which would give them about $14 million for the six players and Smith. That seems a little more doable.

Either way they've still got work to do. I think I've got my math right.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
True...they do have options but it is still going to be extremely tight. The most obvious is to not resign Smith and Janmark. That would leave about $7 million for six players (Kolesar, Roy, Hague, Howden and 2 ELC contracts to replace Smith and Janmark). I don't think there is enough money to go around there.

Trading Pacioretty frees up $7 million which would give them about $14 million for the six players and Smith. That seems a little more doable.

Either way they've still got work to do. I think I've got my math right.
You'd essentially be replacing patches with smith. And a mill or 2 in extra space. Not sure unless you like Smith more. Sadly also means they don't have to give Patches away.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You'd essentially be replacing patches with smith. And a mill or 2 in extra space. Not sure unless you like Smith more. Sadly also means they don't have to give Patches away.
Agreed. But assuming they could resign Smith for $4-5 million it gives them an extra $2-3 million ($9-10 million total) to sign the other six players. That's a bit more doable than $7 million for six players. I'm just glad it's not our problem.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Agreed. But assuming they could resign Smith for $4-5 million it gives them an extra $2-3 million ($9-10 million total) to sign the other six players. That's a bit more doable than $7 million for six players. I'm just glad it's not our problem.
Is Broisset LTIR too? I started a CF roster and it looks like they are at 5.2 mill in space to start with 19 players on the roster. including 7 d and 2 goalies

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I don't think they do it but $2 million might mean a ton to them, its that tight.

They're also super vulnerable to an offer sheet right now. They can LTIR Weber to start the season to be compliant but they can only go over the cap by like $8.25 million in the summer and they're already $2.6 over now. Wouldn't be surprised if both Nics are dealt before free agency opens, if they don't make another cap clearing move, that is.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Is Broisset LTIR too? I started a CF roster and it looks like they are at 5.2 mill in space to start with 19 players on the roster. including 7 d and 2 goalies
No, the poster I responded to assumed that Broisset would be bought out/traded and replaced by Thompson. The numbers may not quite be right and there may be no savings at all by doing that but I went with it. As MDM pointed out above, every dollar is going to count for Vegas. Right now with Broisset they have about $5 million in available space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad