Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part II: Should we trade Girard or not ? Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We are out of 1st round pick this year so perhaps a prospect. How about Kessell for Timmins? :sarcasm:
Goof. That's why I very rarely post in this thread and never on the main boards.

[edit, I'm not even sure what Arizona will want when they start selling. They need everything and to be fair, they are 11M over the cap floor, I'd offer to help their payroll and do Kessel for Compher (even though he's played really well by his standards this season)...I just wouldn't tell them Compher is signed for next season too. ]

Last edited:
Reactions: Balthazar

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
A

Are these trades for Girard+? They are all over the place in terms of value and/or needs

I did say they're all different needs / costs..

The NYI trade or ARI one would probably cost G. Not too sure just spit balling different names who could fit different needs from teams near the bottom.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
It's a salary cap league and a league where superstars don't win you cups.

Yes, having too much talent and not enough money to pay them all and continue to ice a competitive roster is a real thing.

Case in point: Every cup contending team since the salary cap began.
You're never going to be in a kind of trouble you can't easily get out of because you have too much talent on good/acceptable contracts. You're only going to be in trouble if you don't have enough talent or if you have bad contracts.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
And Yes, superstars absolutely win you cups. Vasi/Hedman/Kuch/Point/Stamkos says Hello!
Star Power and depth are not mutually exclusive although harder to combine in a cap era, but you definitely need Star Power to win cups. Excluding a few exceptions, history is pretty clear about that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, but Girard+what? I think the asked value and the actual value between the two doesn’t make sense.

Not to mention if we’re going the trade Girard route it would make more sense to target a forward.
Shouldn't be a + purely due to Girards contract length. That's the exact type of player and contract Arizona would want I would think.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Shouldn't be a + purely due to Girards contract length. That's the exact type of player and contract Arizona would want I would think.

It shouldn’t be, but based on consensus Chychrun is the far superior player and the contract doesn’t add enough to make up the difference between the two players.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think the biggest issue in the off-season is finding an elite 2C. Kadri is going to likely command $6.5M+, there’s very few elite centers available (remember when we had ROR, Duchene, Stastny and MacKinnon). I think if we could find a better option than Kadri for our 2C at roughly the $7m range we would be able to extend our window of being competitive.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Chychrun has 3 years left at 4.6M per and Girard has 5 years left at 5M per. Those contracts are too similar in value to be a difference maker.

That said, I'd not add to Girard for Chychrun. At least not anything significant.
based on consensus Chychrun is the far superior player
Far superior? :huh:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Chychrun has 3 years left at 4.6M per and Girard has 5 years left at 5M per. Those contracts are too similar in value to be a difference maker.

That said, I'd not add to Girard for Chychrun. At least not anything significant.

Just going off of what others are saying. It’s essentially a number 1 vs a number 3. I’m not saying that’s how I view it, but it appears that’s the consensus on the difference in player value.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

The last thing we need is another Dman. We need forward depth.

Reactions: Balthazar

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Friedman saying he doesn't believe the Macfarland to Vancouver rumour. Which is nice to hear.

I'd be far more discerning if I was MacFarland. After seeing how long the debacle existed in Vancouver, he should carefully weigh if that is the right situation for him to step into, especially given the expectations of management and the fans. Given the Avs situation, one would think MacFarland would be considered for any GM openings.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
My favorite post of 2022 thus far. I'm going to turn it into an NFT.
Appreash haha Happy new year !
We would be humble while we present our 8 to the NHL, but we would do so much more pounding than with what we got now lol

Aka Crouse and Chychrun hit more than G and JTC. We need that

Reactions: Pokecheque

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Honestly I think we’re able to handle our off-season issues okay if we make some smart moves. Trade JTC and Jost, buyout EJ. Savings of $9.5m less $3m in replacements for a total savings of $6.5m.

Re-sign Nuke 6 years by $4m
Re-sign JJ 1 year league min
Re-sign E. Johnson 1 year $1.5m (see Micheal Stone for reference)
Sign Forsberg 7 years $7.5m
Sign Hertl 7 years $7.5m
Spend a total of $7.5m on goalies.

Sign Maltsev, Bowers and NAK for an average of $850K. Give Kaut, Olausson and Ranta all a shot at the third line.

Landy-MacK-Rantanen
Forsberg-Hertl-Nuke
Ranta-Newhook-LOC
Maltsev-Bowers -NAK
Toews-Makar
Byram-Girard
JJ-EJ
Keumper $5.5
Backup $2m

Total cap space $2.1m with players making around league min.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd be far more discerning if I was MacFarland. After seeing how long the debacle existed in Vancouver, he should carefully weigh if that is the right situation for him to step into, especially given the expectations of management and the fans. Given the Avs situation, one would think MacFarland would be considered for any GM openings.

On the positive side of Vancouver... they have an excellent (regular season) coach and the hardest pieces to get already on the team. Manage the cap better and continue to snag good depth in the early to mid rounds of the draft... and a good team can be built there. Not many other teams looking for a GM have a similar setup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lets hope MacFarland's promotion happens here or they find another way to keep him. He's the brains behind the operation and the one who had a major hand in turning this thing around IMO. Can you imagine him leaving for another team and then someone like Billington moving to the NHL side in his spot?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On the positive side of Vancouver... they have an excellent (regular season) coach and the hardest pieces to get already on the team.
Fans are getting extremely worried about their 1C and I can't blame them. EP not getting any better with a new coach is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad