Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I think it would be fitting to find a way to pay homage to Beliveau. He was from Trois-Rivières. And I think it would be cool that the two Canadiens affiliates are named after their two biggest legends.
Would help if he had a suitable nickname. Les "Gros Bill" de Trois-Rivières just seems weird. :laugh:

Les "As" would be one, since he played for the Quebec Aces for so long.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Would help if he had a suitable nickname. Les "Gros Bill" de Trois-Rivières just seems weird. :laugh:

Les "As" would be one, since he played for the Quebec Aces for so long.

That is true. His nickname isn't exactly good for a team name. But I still think it would be appropriate to honor him with this affiliate.

Aces would be one way they could do it.

But Le Gros Bill de Trois-Rivières could have a logo:

upload_2020-7-12_15-58-13.jpeg

Reactions: dralaf

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Having an ECHL club so close to the rest of the organization will stramline both player development and player management. The close proximity of Laval to Trois-Rivieres (90-minute drive) also simplifies roster movement when injuries take their toll. Having the team close to it’s affiliate, it gives the Canadiens organization the ability to call up and send down player with ease.”

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They can assign players to different teams. Until they get their own ECHL team (which will be in Trois-Rivieres), they will have to send they ECHL players around the league. Most will end up in Maine. They're the Rangers' official ECHL affiliate, but they do have a working relationship with the Habs, too.

Maybe Daniel Briere is aiming at a return closer to home when TR gets their team. :naughty:

For those who don't know, Briere is VP hockey and GM for the Maine Mariners.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe Daniel Briere is aiming at a return closer to home when TR gets their team. :naughty:

For those who don't know, Briere is VP hockey and GM for the Maine Mariners.

It is the most odd thing. Briere is employed by the Flyers. I think even Holmgren is involved in Maine, too. However, the Mariners are the Rangers' official affiliate. And they have a relationship with the Habs.

I think it will be MA Bergeron who will be the Briere of Trois-Rivieres.

Reactions: Treb

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It is the most odd thing. Briere is employed by the Flyers. I think even Holmgren is involved in Maine, too. However, the Mariners are the Rangers' official affiliate. And they have a relationship with the Habs.

I think it will be MA Bergeron who will be the Briere of Trois-Rivieres.

I'd be ok with MAB being VP hockey, but I would hope the GM would have a smidge more experience than 2 years as a director of player development for a QMJHL team. The TR team needs to start strong or people might turn back to the Shawinigan Cataractes for hockey.

They could try poaching from the QMJHL. Maybe Mario Pouliot, Sylvain Couturier, Serge Beausoleil, Jocelyn Thibault or Philippe Boucher. I'm not a follower of the Q, but a successful Q manager could bring some confidence. It would also help recruiting some ex-Q players that would help the popularity for sure.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'd be ok with MAB being VP hockey, but I would hope the GM would have a smidge more experience than 2 years as a director of player development for a QMJHL team. The TR team needs to start strong or people might turn back to the Shawinigan Cataractes for hockey.

They could try poaching from the QMJHL. Maybe Mario Pouliot, Sylvain Couturier, Serge Beausoleil, Jocelyn Thibault or Philippe Boucher. I'm not a follower of the Q, but a successful Q manager could bring some confidence. It would also help recruiting some ex-Q players that would help the popularity for sure.

Before I read your list, Thibault entered my mind.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

No loss here for the ECHL franchise. If anything, the city saves another $2M that they would have to spend to update the facilities to have both teams.

Reactions: Treb

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
It's now official, the city of Trois-Rivieres and DSE have agreed on a 5-year lease of the arena.

Good news. It will be fun to follow another team here, especially if affiliated to the Canadiens. Never closely followed an ECHL team before, I heard it's a league of mercenaries where you learn to love the team rather than its players since they come and go.

Adam, you that follows every sport and every team :laugh:, will you be keeping an eye on that team for us?

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
ECHL is obviously under the AHL, but how does it compare to the CHL/NCAA?

Better than both. You don't have the stars NHLer to be you have in the CHL/NCAA, but the players are grown men and are mostly all former CHL/NCAA. There are many very skilled players that are either too small or too slow for higher levels and choose not to go to Europe. You also have the older AHL vet (like TJ Hensick) that can't find an AHL job anymore because teams prefer younger guys for their vet limit.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good news. It will be fun to follow another team here, especially if affiliated to the Canadiens. Never closely followed an ECHL team before, I heard it's a league of mercenaries where you learn to love the team rather than its players since they come and go.

Adam, you that follows every sport and every team :laugh:, will you be keeping an eye on that team for us?

I definitely will.

Reactions: DavePeak

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Next thing find a Head Coach !

Who do you think should be candidate ? Personally I have those name who could be interesting

Gilles Bouchard
Alex Burrows
Eric Veilleux
Jean-Francois Houle

Jul 6, 2016
Next thing find a Head Coach !

Who do you think should be candidate ? Personally I have those name who could be interesting

Gilles Bouchard
Alex Burrows
Eric Veilleux
Jean-Francois Houle

André Tourigny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad