Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As of next season, Montreal will have their two affiliates in Quebec. One in Laval (20KM away) and one in Trois-Rivières (140KM away).

It will make it so much easier to move players around. And it also opens the door for many Quebec players who would be coming out of junior and could get started on a pro career.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Aside from the team name, which should be revealed soon, the next step will be the coaching staff. MacDonald had said that the NHL team will pick their guys.

Reactions: Treb

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens announced on Tuesday that they have agreed on a three-year deal with the new hockey franchise in Trois-Rivières, making it the team's official ECHL affiliate upon entry into the league for the 2021-22 season.

"This agreement provides our organization with an interesting opportunity to expand our development pipeline here in Quebec, while allowing us to closely monitor the development of some of our prospects. The ECHL is a league that deserves more recognition for the talent it displays and for its high quality of play," said John Sedgwick, the Canadiens' Vice-President of Hockey Operations and Legal Affairs. "The decision to move our AHL affiliate team to Laval proved to be very successful, and the advantage of having another affiliate nearby in Trois-Rivières will be very convenient for our hockey operations and to continue scouting local talent."

The ECHL has been in operation since 1988 and will be entering its 34th season in 2021-22. Throughout its existence, it has helped produce many players that have moved on to successful careers in the AHL and NHL. A number of Canadiens players - past and present - have swept through the minor league before dawning the bleu-blanc-rouge in front of the Montreal faithful. Players like Brett Kulak, Ben Chiarot, David Desharnais, Francis Bouillon, Jaroslav Halak, Mark Streit and Alex Belzile are all products of the ECHL, where they developed their skills before showcasing them on the big stage in the NHL. Alex Burrows, assistant coach of the Laval Rocket, also began his professional playing career in the ECHL before becoming a household name in the NHL.

"This partnership with the Canadiens is an important moment for our new franchise in Trois-Rivières. While contributing to the development of hockey in Mauricie and Quebec, this affiliation with the Canadiens will add credibility and notoriety to our project of bringing hockey back to Trois-Rivières," said Mark Weightman, President and CEO of the new franchise. "We are excited about the thought of our fans cheering on a group of prospects that one day may play for the Canadiens. I am convinced that an affiliation with the Canadiens will create a passionate connection within our fanbase."
The new ECHL franchise in Trois-Rivières will play its home games out of Le Nouveau Colisée, a modern and multifunctional arena with a 5,000-seat capacity (including luxury suites), scheduled to open in the summer of 2021.

On November 23, the Trois-Rivières ECHL Hockey Club confirmed its management team, which includes former Canadiens defenseman Marc-André Bergeron as vice-president and general manager.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
M-A Bergeron I think will choose the coach

He is the GM, so obviously he will have a say. But Dean MacDonald had said that the NHL team will be involved.

Most ECHL teams are affiliated with an NHL & AHL team, but they still run their organization independently. So they usually choose who they hire as a coaching staff and anyone else. In this case, the NHL team will have more control over those decisions. It is the similar model the Leafs have with the Growlers. The Leafs were a lot more involved in those decisions.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It took some time and effort but it's the result that counts. Great news for the franchise !

It was a long road. And I remember us saying that we felt it will eventually get done, but the rocky road kept us from being fully confident. And we were only going to be 100% satisfied once it's official.

Well, now it's official!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The fact it delayed so much and the team will begin in 2021-22 ended up being a blessing in disguise. Because with the way this year went, there would be no fans in the stands. This way, if things go well with the vaccines and COVID, they can have fans to start their inaugural season.

Reactions: Treb and DavePeak

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The new coach will most likely be a guy from the QMJHL:New ECHL team in Trois-Rivières aims to extend roots across Quebec | Montreal Gazette
Among Bergeron’s first responsibilities will be hiring a head coach. Although he’d like the appointment to be made soon, Bergeron cautioned he might have to delay the announcement if the successful applicant is already working for another organization. And some already employed have applied.
The head coach must be bilingual and preferably from Quebec, but Bergeron said those are the only two prerequisites.
“This organization will be deeply rooted in the Quebec region,” said Bergeron, 40. “We’ll be providing the step between junior and pro hockey. I don’t believe he has to be a guy with a whole lot of (pro) experience.
“We have a lot of talent here in all aspects of hockey. I’d be very disappointed if I don’t find a Quebec hockey coach. And I don’t want to disappoint myself.”

We're probably going to have an announcement whenever the coach's team gets eliminated.

I don't think someone who is GM/Head coach in the Q would leave for an ECHL Coach position, so here are the head coaches of the best teams in the Q right now.
Ron Choules Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Carl Mallette Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Mario Durocher Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Jean-Jacques Daigneault Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects lol
Daniel Renaud Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Bruce Richardson Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The new coach will most likely be a guy from the QMJHL:New ECHL team in Trois-Rivières aims to extend roots across Quebec | Montreal Gazette

We're probably going to have an announcement whenever the coach's team gets eliminated.

I don't think someone who is GM/Head coach in the Q would leave for an ECHL Coach position, so here are the head coaches of the best teams in the Q right now.
Ron Choules Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Carl Mallette Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Mario Durocher Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Jean-Jacques Daigneault Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects lol
Daniel Renaud Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects
Bruce Richardson Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

It could be Eric Belanger who is a friend of Bergeron and who won the best coach in the Midget AAA. Other guys could be Eric Veilleux and Gilles Bouchard who are assistant of Benoit Groulx in the AHL. Both have ties with the Mauricie Region.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
My personal pick for coach would be Félix Potvin. He's among, if not the best Midget AAA coach right now. But he doesn't like to move away from Magog. Magog is currently churning out 'Q players like it hasn't in a while. If Potvin was not so 'casanier', he'd already be in the 'Q and probably have quite the success. The Cantonniers are lucky to have him. I like Richardson, but not sure it's an upgrade for him from the Armada. Durocher is not a bad coach, but he's a vieux de la vieille. I doubt they hire a veteran like him, they probably want a young buck hungry to learn Pro hockey. Gilles Bouchard has been successful in Rouyn, why not.

I like La Forge or Les Forgerons. Le flambeau is too cheezy for my liking...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My personal pick for coach would be Félix Potvin. He's among, if not the best Midget AAA coach right now. But he doesn't like to move away from Magog. Magog is currently churning out 'Q players like it hasn't in a while. If Potvin was not so 'casanier', he'd already be in the 'Q and probably have quite the success. The Cantonniers are lucky to have him. I like Richardson, but not sure it's an upgrade for him from the Armada. Durocher is not a bad coach, but he's a vieux de la vieille. I doubt they hire a veteran like him, they probably want a young buck hungry to learn Pro hockey. Gilles Bouchard has been successful in Rouyn, why not.

Would Gilles Bouchard, go back down a level to be head coach though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad