Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Jul 6, 2016
The Trois-Rivières Mayor would miss a golden opportunity if he refuses the offer.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

In the article, Lamarche openly admits that his preference is a QMJHL franchise. However, he says that every time he speaks with the Q commissioner, Courteau continues to tell him that there are no plans for expansion or relocation.

Turcotte also mentions that the council's #1 choice is the Habs' ECHL affiliate.

But with the chance that the QMJHL will return around December and that fans won't be able to attend right away, the TR mayor is looking closely at some of the franchises that may not be able to survive that long without any revenue. So he's keeping his eye on it and ready to be the ''savior.''

Last edited:
Reactions: Newfoundland

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

ECHL à Trois-Rivières: Weightman en renfort

There is a meeting between the MacDonald and his group with the city of TR on Tuesday. And they will have Mark Weightman with them.

Weightman is an impressive guy to have with them. He worked for 22 years with the Alouettes, and after that, he joined he Canadiens and was made president of Laval Rocket and Place Bell. He did a remarkable job helping Laval get its foot off the ground.

He left the organization a few months ago and it was a big move. Now he will be with MacDonald and Marc-Andre Bergeron in this meeting.

Bergeron said the last little while, things have stagnated. So having this meeting on Tuesday is a good thing. MacDonald really wants this done.

Mayor Lamarche has his eye on the QMJHL and would be ready to offer TR and their new arena if a team that can't survive this pandemic financially and will need to stop operations.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The city council and the ECHL group held a virtual meeting yesterday that lasted about 50 minutes. The city was impressed with the fact Mark Weightman is on board. There are a lot of things that need to be ironed out as there are other events, ticket box office, and restaurants that need to be worked on.

But all signs point it happening.

The arena will be ready in December. But they said that if the ECHL and the university team share the facility, which is the desired result the city wants (even though the mayor personally prefers a QMJHL team), they will need to make renovations in order to add a dressing room that can accommodate an ECHL team.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

The city council and the ECHL group held a virtual meeting yesterday that lasted about 50 minutes. The city was impressed with the fact Mark Weightman is on board. There are a lot of things that need to be ironed out as there are other events, ticket box office, and restaurants that need to be worked on.

But all signs point it happening.

The arena will be ready in December. But they said that if the ECHL and the university team share the facility, which is the desired result the city wants (even though the mayor personally prefers a QMJHL team), they will need to make renovations in order to add a dressing room that can accommodate an ECHL team.

Great news

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I study in Trois Rivières and I probably have a stage there if all work so you can’t understand how much I hope this will work

I have friends that live there. And we visit them 3-4 times a year. Mostly during the summer. But if this happens, then I will be making the trips during the fall/winter to attend games with them.

Reactions: Vachon23

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I am definitely happy things are looking like they'll happen. But with the way this has gone, until it becomes official, I still have the little part of me that feels that it can do a complete 180 at any moment.
Oh for sure, I'll only feel 100% happy once I see ink on the paper and I know for sure that mayor can't back out of it anymore.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I have friends that live there. And we visit them 3-4 times a year. Mostly during the summer. But if this happens, then I will be making the trips during the fall/winter to attend games with them.

especially if they are able to bring a pre season game of the Habs in Trois Rivières that would be amazing

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
especially if they are able to bring a pre season game of the Habs in Trois Rivières that would be amazing

Yea. The ECHL group of MacDonal and Bergeron have mentioned that the Habs are interested in holding part of their training camp there, as well as play a preseason game or two.

In one of their meetings, they laid out the financial part of the operations. They had said that it would cost about $4M annually to operate the ECHL team, but that it would bring in about $10M annually. Not to mention it would create a lot of jobs for the local economy.

And not to be ignored is the addition of Weightman. What he's done for Place Bell as the guy running that building can only encourage TR to agree to the ECHL team. When the Rocket weren't playing at home, he was able to organize women's hockey, concerts, wrestling events, Disney on Ice and many more. So even if there is no hockey, the arena is bringing in money. That has to play favorably to the ECHL group.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad