Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part IV Playoffs? I Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I saw that... that Blake Lizotte was centering the 4th line AND playing with Vilardi.

giphy.gif
Not to mention keeping JAD or Kupari out of the lineup. I expect Lizzotte to be waived. He has no upside.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Not to mention keeping JAD or Kupari out of the lineup. I expect Lizzotte to be waived. He has no upside.

But they did just re-sign Lizotte. To a 1 way contract. During a period of time where they had to know what their plan was. Assuming they have said plan. Even taking Danault out, they know they had JAD there already, and they still re-signed Lizotte.

1 way deals do matter. You don't see that many of them, even the cheap ones like Lizotte's, in the AHL.

It's more fun to have Lizotte and Wagner disappear to Ontario, and have more youth with potential on the roster, but in a hard cap world, where every dollar counts, those 1 way contracts really do matter. They exist for a reason. Management likely expects that guy to be on the team.

TM changed it up towards the end of last season, and if that's the top line again I'll be disappointed.

Changed it up, when Brown was injured and out of the lineup? I know he changed it up then, but I don't remember what happened before the last 7 games of the year.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
But they did just re-sign Lizotte. To a 1 way contract. During a period of time where they had to know what their plan was. Assuming they have said plan. Even taking Danault out, they know they had JAD there already, and they still re-signed Lizotte.

1 way deals do matter. You don't see that many of them, even the cheap ones like Lizotte's, in the AHL.

It's more fun to have Lizotte and Wagner disappear to Ontario, and have more youth with potential on the roster, but in a hard cap world, where every dollar counts, those 1 way contracts really do matter. They exist for a reason. Management likely expects that guy to be on the team.

Changed it up, when Brown was injured and out of the lineup? I know he changed it up then, but I don't remember what happened before the last 7 games of the year.
Yeah, I have no idea what they are thinking with Lizzotte. The guy puts out 100% every shift but he isn't big enough -- plain and simple. I agree he belongs in Ontario but with the 1 way contract...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know why the surprise. Someone still needs to beat Lizotte. I know there are sexier names on paper, but recall if you will that Lizotte beat all of them as a camp surprise. He doesn't quit. That's admirable and someone with more talent will have to exhibit the same drive to take his spot. That's a good thing.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita

It could have been when Brown was injured, I can't remember to be honest. I just remember lafallo was paired with Vilardi towards the end.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I see it more like this.

Kempe – Kopitar – Arvidsson
Iafallo – Vilardi – Andersson
Moore – Danault – Brown
Lemieux – Anderson-Dolan – AA
Grundstrom, Lizotte, Wagner

Anderson– Doughty
Bjornfot – Roy
Edler – Walker
Maatta

Peterson
Quick

Obviously the bottom 6 is way crowded and I honestly thought that Blake would’ve addressed that going forward especially if you think guys like Byfield, Kupari, Tkachev and Kaliyev are on the cusp of being here full time.

I mean Ontario is very full as well.

Turcotte-Byfield-Kupari
Fagemo-Tynan-Kaliyev
Johnson-Burke-Frk
Sutter-Dudas-Madden
Doty, Sodergran, Tkachev
Thomas (inj)

Wolanin-Clague
Moverare-Durzi
Phillips-Strand
Spence, Grans

Villalta
Sparks
Ingham
Parik
Take it from a non- kings fan....... having the extra time to over ripe these kids rather than rush them into the league is fantastic development route and situation to be in. I'm very jealous of what you guys are building.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah last game of the season was
Kempe-Kopitar-?
Iafallo-Vilardi-Andersson

The sad part? That was line was Vilardi's 3rd most common line combo after Carter/AA and Carter/Kempe and that didn't even happen until the end of the season. TMc threw him out there with everyone and never really gave him any kind of chance to build chemistry. There was no chemistry with Carter and AA because both of those guys with their speed would carry it out of the zone and were terrible on the cycle. By the time Vilardi was in the zone with them, they've already lost possession via a quick shot or a turnover. Vilardi simply wasn't ready to carry a line last season as a rookie and that's how the coach deployed him. Vilardi looked much better when he was paired with a play-driving winger like Moore and Iaffalo. Not surprisingly, everyone did with those guys. Consistently pair one of those guys with Gabe and I bet he becomes more consistent. That or just stick him on Kopi or Danault's RW and let him score 20+ goals from there.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm more interested in trying to project what the lineup will be at the end of the season rather than the beginning.

Out of the 'Big 3' in the AHL (Kaliyev, Turcotte, Byfield), I think Kaliyev will be the 1st to solidify a roster spot with the big club.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'm well aware of the momentary break up of 19/11/23 at the end of last season... but I'm sticking to my ample gut here.

Until I see 5 games in a row with that line broken up I don't believe it. I know that eventually it WILL happen... I'm just not expecting it.

As for the Lizotte issues... I get that he's short and doesn't score enough to make himself popular but take a look at his impact numbers and I think you'll begin to see why the organization is so keen on him.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah last game of the season was
Kempe-Kopitar-?
Iafallo-Vilardi-Andersson
I just don't see Dustin Brown not being glued to Kopitar. If he isn't with Kopitar or Danault, his line is going to be on the wrong side of plus/minus.
I keep seeing folks putting Athanasiou and/or Brown with Danault. If the whole point of adding Danault is to insulate Kopitar from heavy defensive duty, why on earth would anyone want to sandbag him with one of those two wingers who share the same lack of defensive awareness or effort?

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I'm well aware of the momentary break up of 19/11/23 at the end of last season... but I'm sticking to my ample gut here.

Until I see 5 games in a row with that line broken up I don't believe it. I know that eventually it WILL happen... I'm just not expecting it.

As for the Lizotte issues... I get that he's short and doesn't score enough to make himself popular but take a look at his impact numbers and I think you'll begin to see why the organization is so keen on him.

Lizotte hunts the puck like a dog on a bone in the offensive zone. He generates a lot of turn overs and disrupts opposing teams zone exits.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I keep seeing folks putting Athanasiou and/or Brown with Danault. If the whole point of adding Danault is to insulate Kopitar from heavy defensive duty, why on earth would anyone want to sandbag him with one of those two wingers who share the same lack of defensive awareness or effort?
I did it strictly because it seems ridiculous to have either on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad