Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part IV Playoffs? I Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I could see Danault and Lizotte forming 2/3 of an insane shutdown line.

*ducks*
NfFfwm5.gif

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I keep seeing folks putting Athanasiou and/or Brown with Danault. If the whole point of adding Danault is to insulate Kopitar from heavy defensive duty, why on earth would anyone want to sandbag him with one of those two wingers who share the same lack of defensive awareness or effort?

I get what you are saying but I guess ones of the reasons why is that Brown has been stapled to Kopitar for his entire career while Kopitar gets heavy defensive duty so why not put him with Danault. It's also because everyone wants to put Arvidsson with Kopitar.

I did it strictly because it seems ridiculous to have either on the 4th line.

And it is also because of this. AA and Brown are still looked at as better goal scoring wingers than all of the bottom six guys so most people don't want to put them down there.

For me, you can just keep Brown with Kopitar for the former's retirement tour and put either Kempe or Iafallo with them. You then have Danault on a line with two guys that I believe would help drive play even with tough matchups:

Kempe-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Danault-Arvidsson
Andersson-Vilardi-AA
Moore-JAD-Grundstrom

That 4th line is not playing fewer minutes than the 3rd line really...would be pretty similar in TOI. Can switch Kempe/Iafallo if desired. Vilardi will get more TOI from getting PP time.

Reactions: KingKempe9

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I keep seeing folks putting Athanasiou and/or Brown with Danault. If the whole point of adding Danault is to insulate Kopitar from heavy defensive duty, why on earth would anyone want to sandbag him with one of those two wingers who share the same lack of defensive awareness or effort?

Danault didn't get that contract to strictly be a defensive C. Nor did he get it to completely absolve Kopitar from defensive duty.

Kopitar was out there for 403 defensive faceoffs last year. The next 3 combined, Vilardi, Lizotte, and JAD, had 452. That's what you want to decrease. When you have the choice, you don't always have to send #11 over the boards. Not that TM had to. That was his choice, and maybe if there's another veteran, he'll sometimes not just stare at Kopitar every second.

Some guys have a role, some guys are interchangeable. In a defensive situation, you should be able to put whoever you need to put out there with Danault.

Reactions: Kings Rule

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I could see Danault and Lizotte forming 2/3 of an insane shutdown line.

*ducks*

I think moving Lizotte to wing is probably a good idea, but I still think we have more mediocre wingers than we can handle. This is a pretty important year for guys like Andersson, Grundstrom, Wagner, Athanasiou, Lemieux, and Moore. Some of these guys will cement themselves as NHL players, some of them will fall by the wayside.

We have a lot of centers on the big club now. Is he better than Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, Vilardi, or JAD? If Lizotte is going to get much of a chance next season, Byfield will need to be in Ontario and Vilardi will need to be on a wing. I'm fine with that, but those are the conditions I think.

Kempe - Kopitar - Vilardi
Iafallo - Danault - Arvidsson
Athanasiou - JAD - Brown
Andersson - Lizotte - Moore

That leaves Lemieux, Wagner, Grundstrom, and Frk on the outside looking in with guys like Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari, Turcotte, and Fagemo chomping at the bit. With these names waiting in the wings, unless we make some significant trades, it's hard for me to see guys like Athanasiou, Wagner, Lemieux, Grundstrom, and Lizotte on the team long term.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Coaches go with players they trust. Todd is going to have his hands full figuring out lines 2-4 and the left D slots. Putting Kopitars line back together at the start of camp is a safe move. He’s still the teams best forward, so you don’t want to do anything to throw his game off.

I’m sure management has done their own projections for forward combos coming out of last season. They may want to minimize disruption to those plans by putting the two new guys, Danault and RV together. Let them figure things out together instead of potentially messing up chemistry that is working elsewhere.

It’s all but guaranteed we’ll see a big mix of lines and player deployments at even strength. Special teams will be more stable at the start of the year, unless something just isn’t working. It’s the same thing as the previous two seasons, so I’m not expecting any surprises.

I also think a prospect dominating at camp is low odds given the potentially few games available. Again, the coaches will prioritize getting their main guys ready for the season. So outside of Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari and maybe Turcotte most of the prospects will be lucky to get into more than one pre season game and play enough minutes to impress. Guys like Madden, Fagemo, Thomas feel like part of the group that is the second, maybe first to be cut.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kupari is my dark horse to make the roster out of camp. His motivation impressed me last season coming off a horrible injury and I think it carries over.
But I don't think camp is going to be a meritocracy. He may outperform guys like Andersson/Grundstrom/Lemieux, but they'll still get spots over him because of the waivers situation.

The other problem for him is that Turcotte, Kaliyev and Byfield are probably all better than him.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
But I don't think camp is going to be a meritocracy. He may outperform guys like Andersson/Grundstrom/Lemieux, but they'll still get spots over him because of the waivers situation.

The other problem for him is that Turcotte, Kaliyev and Byfield are probably all better than him.

I completely understand your points, and they're valid. Hopefully LA breaks camp healthy and that's the case.

After seeing folks line combo ideas, I realize it's probably not going to happen unless someone craps the bed. Which happens more often than not.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
SOMEONE'S gotta get waived and unless he had a monster summer my money is on Grundstrom. he has all the tools but needs to take a major step NOW to beat out the others.

Reactions: YP44 and kinghock

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The Kings won’t score any goals but they’ll win after the opponent forfeits because of absolute boredom!

1-3-1 FTW!

200.gif

It’s all but guaranteed we’ll see a big mix of lines and player deployments at even strength. Special teams will be more stable at the start of the year, unless something just isn’t working. It’s the same thing as the previous two seasons, so I’m not expecting any surprises.

I'm hoping for one...

images

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty Batch

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
SOMEONE'S gotta get waived and unless he had a monster summer my money is on Grundstrom. he has all the tools but needs to take a major step NOW to beat out the others.

He and Wagner are the only 4th line hitters unless we count Lemieux.

I just think that the line he was on with JAD was clicking so nicely until JAD's injury that they might want to try that line again.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He and Wagner are the only 4th line hitters unless we count Lemieux.

I just think that the line he was on with JAD was clicking so nicely until JAD's injury that they might want to try that line again.
\

Generally agree. My thought is that he and Lemieux are likely seen as redundant if Tonka doesn't step up. Lemeiux at least brings the nasty which would give him the edge--and I'm just not sure what other wingers Grundstrom would outplay out of Iafallo-probablyVilardi-Arvidsson-Brown-Moore-Kupari-Athanasiou-Andersson and mayyybe Lizotte/JAD if they get turned to wing and that's BEFORE any prospects/camp surprises.

I like his game and he can really bring it when he's on--but he's thus far been inconsistent and in danger of being rendered redundant if he doesn't take a big step forward.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
\

Generally agree. My thought is that he and Lemieux are likely seen as redundant if Tonka doesn't step up. Lemeiux at least brings the nasty which would give him the edge--and I'm just not sure what other wingers Grundstrom would outplay out of Iafallo-probablyVilardi-Arvidsson-Brown-Moore-Kupari-Athanasiou-Andersson and mayyybe Lizotte/JAD if they get turned to wing and that's BEFORE any prospects/camp surprises.

I like his game and he can really bring it when he's on--but he's thus far been inconsistent and in danger of being rendered redundant if he doesn't take a big step forward.

Hello 4th round pick in return. I think The Kings will be obtaining a few of these over the next couple months.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think moving Lizotte to wing is probably a good idea, but I still think we have more mediocre wingers than we can handle. This is a pretty important year for guys like Andersson, Grundstrom, Wagner, Athanasiou, Lemieux, and Moore. Some of these guys will cement themselves as NHL players, some of them will fall by the wayside.

We have a lot of centers on the big club now. Is he better than Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, Vilardi, or JAD? If Lizotte is going to get much of a chance next season, Byfield will need to be in Ontario and Vilardi will need to be on a wing. I'm fine with that, but those are the conditions I think.

Kempe - Kopitar - Vilardi
Iafallo - Danault - Arvidsson
Athanasiou - JAD - Brown
Andersson - Lizotte - Moore

That leaves Lemieux, Wagner, Grundstrom, and Frk on the outside looking in with guys like Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari, Turcotte, and Fagemo chomping at the bit. With these names waiting in the wings, unless we make some significant trades, it's hard for me to see guys like Athanasiou, Wagner, Lemieux, Grundstrom, and Lizotte on the team long term.

Lizotte is currently the 3rd best faceoff guy.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
\

I get it. I think Management would still give the edge to Grundstrom over Lemeiux just because he is more "their guy" but they are very similar production wise except Lemieux hits at a higher rate and can fight which nobody else on the team can.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Wagner and Lizotte are the two stalest loaves in the breadbasket. They are old enough to trust as multiple side dishes and not so past their expiration date that mold has started to show. And the baker is still kneading the dough for the next batch of loaves, so you’re stuck with them and need to make a decision sooner than later.

But their nutritional value has plummeted. Wagner needs to become an Iafallo type in order to lock down a spot. Lizotte has more going for him, but he’s in a tougher spot with more competition and expectations. Being a Rudy type is only admirable on a lovable loser team. Biggest thing Lizotte needs to do to hold down his spot is bury a couple more chances. He does get looks, just like Wagner, but fails to convert just as much. If he’s injured again or ringing pucks off the post late in a game, then his future is a question mark.

Both of these guys should be considered as incumbents for the third line. The question is, how do you dress them up to make them look appetizing and taste edible. I suggest a lot of butter, worry about the high cholesterol later.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Lizotte is currently the 3rd best faceoff guy.

An interesting tidbit about that actually is that Kupari had the best faceoff percentage behind Kopitar (in a small sample size to be sure, 65 draws).

Based on faceoffs specifically, we could do something like this:

Byfield - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Kempe - Danault - Vilardi
Iafallo - Kupari - Brown
JAD - Lizotte - Moore

This leaves out Athanasiou, Andersson, Wagner, Grundstrom, and Lemieux and brings in Byfield and Kupari. It's not very likely, but it looks fun!

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The other good thing about constructing this years lineup is Kopitar won’t get all the tough draws with Danault in the team. Maybe that opens up the opportunity for a different set of wingers. Maybe a more offensive winger with a bit more defensive risk can be placed on the top line. Kaliyev when ready is an example of this.

very interested to see our lineup 20 games in

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
How possible is it that this guys makes the opening night roster:

so hard to say. The tape is ok on him. He certainly has a quick release and a knack for putting the puck in the net. I’d say 50/50 chance he is one of the 14 forward that break camp

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad