Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Makes no sense, esp. after spendibg 0,65 billion$ to do so, while being a expansion team. Francis is a moran. Unleds he wins a cup first season
If Seattle felt there was no one available from a certain team that had any trade value in today's cap market, and also felt that none of the players available would be someone they would want on their NHL roster, then taking an expiring contract might make some sense.

I firmly believe that Francis tried to stay away from players that weren't NHL ready, but would likely be claimed if waived, (there were a lot of guys fitting this description available in the expansion draft).

He did not want to lose 90% of his roster cuts and have to scramble to find players to place in Charlotte to fullfil his agreement. Instead he targeted a couple of guys that are team players with less upside that likely won't be claimed.

We can speculate wether or not it was a bad strategy, but unless those players are traded by other teams, we will never know if it was the correct call or not.

Reactions: LokiDog

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone, hope this Thread is the right one as I couldn’t find a more relevant Title.

For those who don’t subscribe to THG. He’s not an insider or anything, just a fan of the Game who does a nice job of keeping up with the NHL and puts out a fair amount of content, which is nice during the off-season.

I thought some of you might enjoy his Season preview for the Team during these slow news days of August, or perhaps share this with someone just learning about the Team.

I find that although THG isn’t the most exciting personality, he breaks things down nicely for those newer to the Game or looking for regular content of the non-biased variety.

Hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the summer with your families.

Cheers,
1F08794A-1B05-4896-851D-BEE8EC8B72F1.jpeg

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
With good goaltending a solid defense and timely goals Seattle Kraken will surprise some people
Think it will be a rough go in the beginning given the top six is thin without Gourde but once he’s back the team will look better overall. Just got to hold the fort until then.

Reactions: andys

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
36/37 wins sounds like a reasonable guess to me (my guess before watching this video was 35 wins for the first year), and THG is certainly reassuring about the quality of the team that we might have. Can't wait to find out.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Question for Seattle fans - What happens with Joey Daccord? Was surprised Ottawa exposed him, as he looked like he could be a very good goalie.

Now he is buried behind two good goalies. I imagine he has value, as he is NHL ready.

Seattle likely to move him at some point?

Reactions: teddygmr

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Question for Seattle fans - What happens with Joey Daccord? Was surprised Ottawa exposed him, as he looked like he could be a very good goalie.

Now he is buried behind two good goalies. I imagine he has value, as he is NHL ready.

Seattle likely to move him at some point?

He'll be in the AHL.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
How will this roster shake down after the preseason? I understand players will be going to the AHL but some will have to clear waivers to go there. I can't imagine our depths on defense that we will keep 8 Def in Seattle and still potentially lose someone before going to Charlotte.

ie. 23 active roster
F(14): Shwartz, Eberle, Tanev, McCann, Appleton, Jarnkrok, Wennberg, Donskoi, Bastian, Geekie, Blackwell, Johansson, Sheahan, Donato
D (7):Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak, Soucy, Lauzon, Dunn, H.Fleury,
G(2): Grubauer, Driedger
IR: Gourde

Players to AHL or ??
F: True, Quenvillle, Twarynski, Lind, Henman
D: Borgen, Carrick, Cholowski, C.Fleury, Olofsson
G: Daccord, Bibeau

\/ Fixed

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Given that the game thread had to be locked...:skeptic:

It was clear from the beginning that we'll be heavily overmatched given the lineups and it showed.

I like Geeky, even though no one shined today, given that he wins faceoffs and he could be the guy that rises in the depth chart.
I though Evans played solid, for a 2nd round pick that's bound for the AHL, and showed some solid skating and puck handling.
I also liked Lauzon, besides that penalty he took during the second period.

I didn't like how Borgen twice went on the ground way too fast during the first period and I think Carrick didn't look good at all.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Given that the game thread had to be locked...:skeptic:

It was clear from the beginning that we'll be heavily overmatched given the lineups and it showed.

I like Geeky, even though no one shined today, given that he wins faceoffs and he could be the guy that rises in the depth chart.
I though Evans played solid, for a 2nd round pick that's bound for the AHL, and showed some solid skating and puck handling.
I also liked Lauzon, besides that penalty he took during the second period.

I didn't like how Borgen twice went on the ground way too fast during the first period and I think Carrick didn't look good at all.

I felt the same as you about Borgen and Carrick (despite some offensive positives), but also felt the same way about Lauzon. That trio in particular did very little to impress me last night. Evans, I mostly liked, but he whiffed offensively a couple times. Oleksiak was solid as hell. Clearly a head above (see what I did there) everybody on the blue line last night, except Dunn who was also solid.

Geekie gave a lot of effort offensively, but I don't really think anybody was outstanding from the forward group last night. Sheahan and Donato looked lacking big time from what I could see.

Despite a hybrid lineup for tonight, Calgary definitely looks to have dressed more surefire NHLer's than Seattle. Goaltenders could be a notable exception. While it doesn't feel remotely as lopsided as last night, it still has that feel, albeit slight. Surely could be a better game though. My bet is Calgary gets the win, but it isn't a wipeout like last night. If Seattle manages, I figure it'll be goaltending that is the difference.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
When/If do you think Borgen will get sent to AHL? Hes not waiver exempt and I can see Buffalo reclaiming him since they get first choice

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
When/If do you think Borgen will get sent to AHL? Hes not waiver exempt and I can see Buffalo reclaiming him since they get first choice
I expect Borgen does get waived. Our current bottom-pairing D is up in the air but Oleksiak, Gio, Dunn and Larsson are locks. The bottom-pairing would probably have 2 of: Soucy, Fleury or Lauzon unless one of those 3 moved.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I expect Borgen does get waived. Our current bottom-pairing D is up in the air but Oleksiak, Gio, Dunn and Larsson are locks. The bottom-pairing would probably have 2 of: Soucy, Fleury or Lauzon unless one of those 3 moved.

Cholowski i don't think has been waived yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad