Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It is all about trying to ice something entertaining until the bread and butter if the future(the draft picks) arrive.

Keep selling soon to be UFAs for draft capital. Replenish through free agency, don't trade away any youth for tempting short cuts to mediocrity.
I definitely feel impending mediocrity. Watching 80 Kraken games and then the playoff and realizing just how far we might be from them.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I definitely feel impending mediocrity. Watching 80 Kraken games and then the playoff and realizing just how far we might be from them.
Well Vegas screwed up all realistic expectations.

Year four should be the goal for the postseason in my opinion, and year 5 , playoffs should be an expectation.

Year 6+ they will hopefully be contenders if they build patiently and have some luck.

Following a blueprint that tries to compete in year two will perpetually place them as a bubble team. The tried and true best way to NEVER win a cup. is to try to rush the build and cheat the timeline.

Early Cuyler

May 27, 2022
Brooksville, FL
If there is a "young 30" winger out there, someone who appears to be improving with age, then that is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing team up with Beniers.

If Evander Kane wasn't a baggage magnet, then he would be ideal. He knows how to play well with strong talent alongside him. But if he isn't causing trouble, then trouble seems to have a knack for finding him.

Kadri would be a fun player to see working in a Kraken jersey. His never-ending search for the big contract always seems to fall short...and that might be something Francis can take advantage of with a patient approach.

He's been performing well in a contract year with a strong team. That is always a concern. But I like that combination of speed, skill, and irritant he routinely brings to the table.

Reactions: wraparound

wraparound

May 17, 2014
If there is a "young 30" winger out there, someone who appears to be improving with age, then that is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing team up with Beniers.

If Evander Kane wasn't a baggage magnet, then he would be ideal. He knows how to play well with strong talent alongside him. But if he isn't causing trouble, then trouble seems to have a knack for finding him.

Kadri would be a fun player to see working in a Kraken jersey. His never-ending search for the big contract always seems to fall short...and that might be something Francis can take advantage of with a patient approach.

He's been performing well in a contract year with a strong team. That is always a concern. But I like that combination of speed, skill, and irritant he routinely brings to the table.
+1 for Kadri

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Kadri certainly fits the identity of the team. He is basically a more skilled Yanni Gourde. He is likely to want term and could get more than 8M AAV. Given his age I am not sure if that is the best idea.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Whomever pays Kadri the big contract is going to have huge buyers remorse.

Kadri couldn't score away from Matthews, Tavares, or Marner in Toronto, and he doesn't score at a very efficient clip in Colorado when prorated away from their stars.

He's going to command a huge salary, and he scored over 33% of his points on the PP playing with Makar, Rantanen, MacKinnon and Landeskog.

Away from the big three forwards, and playing with players probably as good or better than what he would llikely skate with in Seattle, (Nichuskin, Burakovsky, Compher and Newhook), he paced sub 60 points. Take out the Makar factor and he prorates at less than 50 points.

IMO, he's lucky to score 50 on this Seattle team

He'll be 32 to start next season, and he's likely going to cost 7.5+ million on a multi-year deal.

In my opinion, that cap is the biggest trade chip Seattle currently holds and could be used to acquire much better assets that will actually be around when this team is ready to compete, no sense wasting it on Nazem Kadri.

Reactions: Early Cuyler

Early Cuyler

May 27, 2022
Brooksville, FL
Whomever pays Kadri the big contract is going to have huge buyers remorse.

Kadri couldn't score away from Matthews, Tavares, or Marner in Toronto, and he doesn't score at a very efficient clip in Colorado when prorated away from their stars.

He's going to command a huge salary, and he scored over 33% of his points on the PP playing with Makar, Rantanen, MacKinnon and Landeskog.

Away from the big three forwards, and playing with players probably as good or better than what he would llikely skate with in Seattle, (Nichuskin, Burakovsky, Compher and Newhook), he paced sub 60 points. Take out the Makar factor and he prorates at less than 50 points.

IMO, he's lucky to score 50 on this Seattle team

He'll be 32 to start next season, and he's likely going to cost 7.5+ million on a multi-year deal.

In my opinion, that cap is the biggest trade chip Seattle currently holds and could be used to acquire much better assets that will actually be around when this team is ready to compete, no sense wasting it on Nazem Kadri.
For the reasons you state, I don't think Kadri is going to get that $7.5 million deal.

He does benefit from the talent around him. No doubt.

But even as those players make him better, he is contributing to their numbers as well. He's showing that tonight. A goal and two assists in three minutes. That is not the work of someone who is riding the coattails of those around him.

He may not get the opportunities at Seattle he currently gets with the Avs. But the value here is what Kadri does for those around him with the way he plays the game and the attention he attracts from his opponents.

As I don't believe he's getting anywhere close to that kind of money/term deal, I think the asking price is going to fall. With patience, we can score a value deal on him. This would give us a man who will make those around him better, appeal to the fans with his style and combativeness, and serve as an offense-oriented bridge between expansion and the playoff future.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think we're way more in need of scoring and scoring wingers, especially with Beniers arriving and looking good.

If we can't get a guy like Forsberg I'd look at what price Nichushkin might be available given that he wouldn't just provide some scoring but also size up front.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think we're way more in need of scoring and scoring wingers, especially with Beniers arriving and looking good.

If we can't get a guy like Forsberg I'd look at what price Nichushkin might be available given that he wouldn't just provide some scoring but also size up front.
I agree, but I feel we need to define the type of scoring help they need.

They have a lot of guys that can play the role of scoring wingers that can shoot the puck well, Schwartz, McCann, Eberle, Gourde, and even Geekie. They just don't have players that can really control the flow and drive the offense.

Even Donato can score on his own to a certain degree, the team doesn't really need more of that. they need catalysts that can create space and regularly create chances for all the current complimentary guys the team has.

More complimentary scoring won't help very much without line-drivers for them to feed off of, imo

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

They have a lot of guys that can play the role of scoring wingers that can shoot the puck well, Schwartz, McCann, Eberle, Gourde, and even Geekie. They just don't have players that can really control the flow and drive the offense.

Even Donato can score on his own to a certain degree, the team doesn't really need more of that. they need catalysts that can create space and regularly create chances for all the current complimentary guys the team has.

More complimentary scoring won't help very much without line-drivers for them to feed off of, imo
I have felt the same. There is a lack of quality playmakers on this team.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Sure, if Forsberg wants to sign with us I'd have no problem with that.

It's just that I don't see guys in their thirtees being the right choice for this roster especially if we're talking about Kadri who'll turn 32 before the season starts and will be looking to get both paid and paid for a long time.

Personally I'd go for a winger like Vatrano(to put him on a line with Gourde and Kuhlman) and then look and see what we could trade for with our extra picks and cap space.

BTW: A guy that might be interesting is Pavel Zacha of New Jersey.
He was also named as one of the guys that might not get qualified and we might be able to get his rights for a pick and try to sign him.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sure, if Forsberg wants to sign with us I'd have no problem with that.

It's just that I don't see guys in their thirtees being the right choice for this roster especially if we're talking about Kadri who'll turn 32 before the season starts and will be looking to get both paid and paid for a long time.

Personally I'd go for a winger like Vatrano(to put him on a line with Gourde and Kuhlman) and then look and see what we could trade for with our extra picks and cap space.

BTW: A guy that might be interesting is Pavel Zacha of New Jersey.
He was also named as one of the guys that might not get qualified and we might be able to get his rights for a pick and try to sign him.
I am a huge no to Kadri, I stated my case earlier in this page, and I absolute agree with your reasoning.

Zacha is an interesting option He played well when moved into a top 6 winger role. I've watched a lot of devil's the past few years, and watching Zacha, he is always playing a defensively responsible game, often to the detriment of his offensive numbers. He's always last to enter the zone, and plays high until the D arrives, and if there is even the chance the other team might get control of the puck, he is circling back into the neutral zone to stop any odd man rushes.

I believe he has it engrained in his brain after being tasked as a shut-down center role with Bratt and Wood a few seasons back.

Also, he won't hit anything, but he has skill and I think he still has some untapped potential... if a coach could break him of his conservative play and maybe place him in the role of F1 for a bit.

Pretty certain Fitzgerald qualifies him. I think those rumors are just clickbait of bored talking heads. That said, he might not be too costly to acquire- just not certain he brings enough of anything different to the Kraken to justify the effort.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Why, would Forsberg want to join a no contender just starting off? My guess stays in Nashville or goes to more top team for small discount for cup runs! Kraken advantage will be slight cap space and if certain teams dont want to pay what they might be asking. Go after few player in the 3-5 million dollar range. Maybe they will land 2-3 players.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Why, would Forsberg want to join a no contender just starting off? My guess stays in Nashville or goes to more top team for small discount for cup runs! Kraken advantage will be slight cap space and if certain teams dont want to pay what they might be asking. Go after few player in the 3-5 million dollar range. Maybe they will land 2-3 players.

We've already done that and ended up with a bunch of OK guys.

I do like Vatrano(I know it gets old) but the Kraken need quality and not just some more B to B- Level guys.

We've just spent a season watching third liners and second pairing guys trying to become a team and compete in the NHL and it has clearly shown that we need more quality(like Beniers) and not more quantity/OK guys on this team.

If we can't get it in free agency I'd like Francis to try and use some of those extra picks and the cap space to trade for someone with some upside left.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We've already done that and ended up with a bunch of OK guys.

I do like Vatrano(I know it gets old) but the Kraken need quality and not just some more B to B- Level guys.

We've just spent a season watching third liners and second pairing guys trying to become a team and compete in the NHL and it has clearly shown that we need more quality(like Beniers) and not more quantity/OK guys on this team.

If we can't get it in free agency I'd like Francis to try and use some of those extra picks and the cap space to trade for someone with some upside left.
You really do like Vatrano. Hahaha…. And his stock is currently rising.

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
I would like if we looked into one of the Avs wingers - Nichsukin or Burakovsky. Curious if they get overpaid being only 27 yo with a lot of size on the wing.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Not to mention they may both be coming off a Stanley Cup appearance. They’ll both make more than they should.

We had the Burakovsky debate back in December... on page.... 46-47 :laugh:

I was very much against Burakovsky then, and now that he is often being healthy scratched throughout these playoffs for Colorado, it has only further confirmed that he will not be worth whatever his next deal is.

Nichushkin is a gamble. He has line driving ability and I could see him bringing a skillset the team really needs, but I worry about what his effort and consistency might be in Seattle, and how would he perform playing with lesser talent? Would he try harder? Would he get frustrated?

He'd be a much better option than Burakovsky imo, but still a pretty huge wildcard in my mind.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just one thing.

Given that the 2021-22 season has been over for over a month it might make sense to either create a new roster discussion or offseason thread or to at least re-name this one.

Reactions: The Marquis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad