Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Do we really get enough posts to make it worthwhile to have 2 separate threads? I thought the 9 page Red Wings GDTs were bad enough, we don't have enough Kraken members to even get past 3 pages.

If we feel there is no reason for a Post-Game thread for every game, then we can just create a general 'Post-Game Talk thread' for the 2021-22 season. I would prefer to lock GDT's up within 24 hours of the game being over.

Also, I do think the our GDT's will get busier as the season goes on.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If we feel there is no reason for a Post-Game thread for every game, then we can just create a general 'Post-Game Talk thread' for the 2021-22 season. I would prefer to lock GDT's up within 24 hours of the game being over.

Also, I do think the our GDT's will get busier as the season goes on.
That's a fair compromise, and if it gets busier than we can do individual post game threads.

I don't have time to watch every game, sometimes it's nice to be able to ask others what they thought of a particular game, player, etc.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well if Jarnkrok is on protocol list he might be out for some time.

Otherwise, would anyone actually claim a guy like Johanson if we'd waive him?
I don't think so. In my mind losing Sheahan or Johansson does not really impact us that much. Gourde looks close to being back and McCann and Wennberg both looked good to decent at C. Keeping players like Bastian, Geekie, etc. is more important than those two. No one signed them till late in FA and in my opinion Johannson is overpaid and noone probably wants him.

Reactions: brewski420

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't think so. In my mind losing Sheahan or Johansson does not really impact us that much. Gourde looks close to being back and McCann and Wennberg both looked good to decent at C. Keeping players like Bastian, Geekie, etc. is more important than those two.

I think Sheahan's a bit underappreciated.
He's a solid bottom six guy that forechecks and plays solid on the PK(the Oilers PK was pretty good with him), which is something we certainly need.
I also really like the Tanev - Sheahan - Bastian checking line.

Also, if Gourde comes back I wouldn't be surprised if McCann's bumped and put back on the wing with Wennberg and Jarnkrok.

Looking at the forwards, Geekie to me's the guy I could see breaking out this season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think Sheahan's a bit underappreciated.
He's a solid bottom six guy that forechecks and plays solid on the PK(the Oilers PK was pretty good with him), which is something we certainly need.
I also really like the Tanev - Sheahan - Bastian checking line.

Also, if Gourde comes back I wouldn't be surprised if McCann's bumped and put back on the wing with Wennberg and Jarnkrok.

Looking at the forwards, Geekie to me's the guy I could see breaking out this season.
I actually do like Sheahan more than Johansson. If anything, I would honestly send Johansson down before Sheahan. I do agree about Geekie and the checking line.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Isn't Giardano the obvious C? He's worn it before and he's in the late stage so it'll be perfectly positioned to pass it on to a young captain when he's ready or someone else they bring in through free agency at some point. It's the logical move imo.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Isn't Giardano the obvious C? He's worn it before and he's in the late stage so it'll be perfectly positioned to pass it on to a young captain when he's ready or someone else they bring in through free agency at some point. It's the logical move imo.

He's not going to be here long maybe half a season and trade him back to the flames or let him walk at the end of the season and he re-signs with the flames.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Any word on who’s wearing letters full time this season? Do we see a Captain or 3 A’s?

I don't think you'll see a captain during the first season.
Seems more like Giordano, Larsson and one of the forwards will be wearing an A and that's fine.

Like @gstommylee said, Giordano only has one year left on his deal and could even be gone at the trading deadline, if we're not competing for a playoff spot.

I could see us being without a captain for the first couple of years until someone(maybe even Beniers) emerges as one.

Reactions: andys

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He's not going to be here long maybe half a season and trade him back to the flames or let him walk at the end of the season and he re-signs with the flames.

I originally believed this was the smartest use of the Calgary pick - Draft Gio, let him play, and hopefully get a high pick at the deadline, but if the fit is good, and he wants to stay, the more I thought about it, the more I began to think that there might be a chance Seattle extends him for another year or two.

If he isn't extended by the deadline, he should definitely be dealt.

That said, I do believe that making him captain wouldn't be the end of the world if he is moved, and it might not be a bad idea to have a good leader as a captain in the room for a club just starting out.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I originally believed this was the smartest use of the Calgary pick - Draft Gio, let him play, and hopefully get a high pick at the deadline, but if the fit is good, and he wants to stay, the more I thought about it, the more I began to think that there might be a chance Seattle extends him for another year or two.

If he isn't extended by the deadline, he should definitely be dealt.

That said, I do believe that making him captain wouldn't be the end of the world if he is moved, and it might not be a bad idea to have a good leader as a captain in the room for a club just starting out.
I think he wants to retire a flames player.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think he wants to retire a flames player.
That would make sense, but did he publicly say that?

If he fits in well here, I could see him sticking around for another season or two. He could always sign the one day contract with Calgary when he chooses to hang them up, that move is is pretty common these days.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I don't think you'll see a captain during the first season.
Seems more like Giordano, Larsson and one of the forwards will be wearing an A and that's fine.

Like @gstommylee said, Giordano only has one year left on his deal and could even be gone at the trading deadline, if we're not competing for a playoff spot.

I could see us being without a captain for the first couple of years until someone(maybe even Beniers) emerges as one.
That's exactly why I say Giordano though. Veteran placeholder .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad