Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why did the Kraken use their expansion picks on UFAs such as Driedger, Larsson, Oleksiak??

If you had an agreement on an extension anyway, and you trust the players to not break their word, you could've used those picks on other players (e.g. Acciari, Vatrano, Gudas, Khaira, Hanley, perhaps take a chance on Bishop). Yes I know those are hardly star name, but that's what they said about Vegas... You never know.

And then you sign those other guys on the 28th if you trust them that they're committed to signing with your franchise

They did that with Schwartz, at least.

Of course, a lot of people would argue that flipping Tarasenko at 50% would have been the better move. Certainly Dillon would have been pretty valuable with 1m retained.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Why did the Kraken use their expansion picks on UFAs such as Driedger, Larsson, Oleksiak??

If you had an agreement on an extension anyway, and you trust the players to not break their word, you could've used those picks on other players (e.g. Acciari, Vatrano, Gudas, Khaira, Hanley, perhaps take a chance on Bishop). Yes I know those are hardly star name, but that's what they said about Vegas... You never know.

And then you sign those other guys on the 28th if you trust them that they're committed to signing with your franchise

1) There was absolutely nothing left to take from Dallas and Edmonton.

2) We needed at least 20 players under contract for 2021-22 and those contributed to it.

3) Like stated above, he certainly didn't want them going to market and made the deals immediatly.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

2) We needed at least 20 players under contract for 2021-22 and those contributed to it.

3) Like stated above, he certainly didn't want them going to market and made the deals immediatly.

Agreed. I'm plenty critical of Francis so far, but taking Oleksiak or getting their players to keep is perfectly fine. That's unnecessary rolling of the dice.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

You know who was on my list for the expansion draft: Khaira and Kahun. Both of them did not even get QO's from their teams. I think there is a lot of information that we are not privy too and have to trust GMRF.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Francis could have picked Zadorov and flipped him, ( Chicago got a third from Calgary) instead RF selected Quenneville,
Probably the biggest head scratching pick of many he made. GMRF has left so many assets on the table and his conservative approach
to building the team is a detriment. With hardly any additional draft picks and so many holes on offense it doesn't bold well.

Reactions: Carl182

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Francis could have picked Zadorov and flipped him, ( Chicago got a third from Calgary) instead RF selected Quenneville,
Probably the biggest head scratching pick of many he made. GMRF has left so many assets on the table and his conservative approach
to building the team is a detriment. With hardly any additional draft picks and so many holes on offense it doesn't bold well.
Are we really going to bring this up every time a player who GMRF did NOT pick gets traded or returns assets? Let's just move on. The expansion draft is done with.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I'm a big optimist and I'm very happy about how the team is shaping up so far:

Schwartz-Gourde-Eberle
McCann-Wennberg-Appleton
Tanev-Jarnkrok-Donskoi
Blackwell-Bastian-Geekie

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Driedger
Vanecek

I'm sure there's still more to come too!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Schwartz-Gourde-Eberle
McCann-Wennberg-Appleton
Tanev-Jarnkrok-Donskoi
Blackwell-Bastian-Geekie

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Driedger
Vanecek

Same.

Also, we don't quite have Schwartz contract numbers but pretty sure we will still have upwards of 20M in cap space after these signings.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Are we really going to bring this up every time a player who GMRF did NOT pick gets traded or returns assets? Let's just move on. The expansion draft is done with.
Francis will always be judged by this expansion draft, good or bad.

We'll see how well his concept of running 3 second lines plus an energy line works.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Francis will always be judged by this expansion draft, good or bad.

We'll see how well his concept of running 3 second lines plus an energy line works.

Can we please stick to Francis related discussions in his dedicated thread? Let's not bring it to every thread that involves FA signings or the expansion draft.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Are we really going to bring this up every time a player who GMRF did NOT pick gets traded or returns assets? Let's just move on. The expansion draft is done with.[/QUOTE]

Your 100% right, the expansion draft is over. Yet GMRF is still there and making decisions good and bad that will effect the team in the near future. There is a valid point to be made that many of the selections in the expansion draft and non movement in the entry level draft didn't maximize the teams assets. There is a carry over effect which is essential to look at. Hence, we are starting to see overpayment for free agents as a direct result of what was done prior. GMRF has the job to manage and build the Kraken and in order to see the good, bad , and ugly of what is being done, it's important to see the results of every decision being made. As of today, he has kept cap space which is good thing. However, it's fair to say he has certainly in more than a few cases misjudged the landscape of the NHL as far as value of contracts, players, draft picks, trades etc. It appears he has a set plan that at times seems very inflexible.

Reactions: Carl182

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
With Grubauer, Schwartz and Wennberg signed I think Francis now needs to look into a couple of trades to balance out(another C) the team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So who needs a goalie, that can give us back a top 6 C? We wont even ask to eat any of their contract.
He's a backup level goalie, Seattle will need to add to get a top 6 forward. Top forward is worth a 1st round pick or more. Backup goalie is not.

I think it's more than likely that Seattle gets a pick or two. The Caps just got 2 second rounders for Dillon, they can spare at least one, lol.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Schwartz-Gourde-Eberle
McCann-Wennberg-Appleton
Tanev-Jarnkrok-Donskoi
Blackwell-Bastian-Geekie

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Driedger
Vanecek

I would swap Schwartz and McCann so you spread your shooters in Schwartz and Eberle out.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I would swap Schwartz and McCann so you spread your shooters in Schwartz and Eberle out.

Totally fine with that too. I really like the look of our team right now, but understand that there could still be more deals in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad