Schwartz-Wennberg-Appleton
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

Suffice to say, I'm thrilled with that team so far and think we could potentially make the playoffs with that team. There's also likely more to come, exciting times!

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
My updated projected lines:

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

Suffice to say, I'm thrilled with that team so far and think we could potentially make the playoffs with that team. There's also likely more to come, exciting times!
With Gourde out they will need another center.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

This actually looks awesome. I hope it turns out as good in reality as it looks on paper. The west did just get a little big more competetive today, so there's that, but still, looking good.

Reactions: BeniersIsKraken

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

I would look to trade Donskoi + X(Vanecek or a defender) for an upgrade at the center spot.

Tanev should also be at least on the third line, IMO.

Still, it's some really nice depth and three good lines while the fourth one should be the checking line.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I feel pretty confident that every player picked by Seattle in the expansion draft and feels like they are being kept was definitely happy with the moves made today. They make things easier for everybody on the ice.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I would look to trade Donskoi + X(Vanecek or a defender) for an upgrade at the center spot.

Tanev should also be at least on the third line, IMO.

Still, it's some really nice depth and three good lines while the fourth one should be the checking line.

I thought about Tanev on the third line, but really wanted to get Geekie up a line given he's a good breakout candidate and could mesh well with Jarnkrok and Donskoi. I also generally just like Tanev as part of a checking line, but could easily move him up a line.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think our backend is solid.

Big boost with Grabauer signing here. We can become UFA destination of top 5 choice. Join the fun.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

Donskoi is strictly a RW and Jankrok could play either so swap them too if you want that as your 3rd line. But you'll be wasting Tanev that way, he's too good for the 4th line. I like Geekie on the 3rd line as he could really excel there. Really it would be ideal to trade Donskoi for a C to cover till Gourde gets back. That Kerfoot for Donskoi idea I floated yesterday would work great.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Donskoi is strictly a RW and Jankrok could play either so swap them too if you want that as your 3rd line. But you'll be wasting Tanev that way, he's too good for the 4th line. I like Geekie on the 3rd line as he could really excel there. Really it would be ideal to trade Donskoi for a C to cover till Gourde gets back. That Kerfoot for Donskoi idea I floated yesterday would work great.

Isn't it nice that we have so many options? Keep in mind the lines will continue to be fluid as the season progresses. There's even a chance Hakstol decides to run all 4 lines a decently even amount, so we can't rule that out as an option either (in which case the talent would be spread out even more).

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You guys seem to need a top 6 C, Jets need a competent backup and some cap space. Wonder if a Copp for Vanecek swap would garner any interest from both fan bases? Copp can play C/LW. Kills penalties. Can slot in on PP. He's an RFA right now but it's likely he signs at the right price. Turned down Lowry money with the Jets so not sure what his ask is. most of us figure he's looking for $4.5m with some decent term.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You guys seem to need a top 6 C, Jets need a competent backup and some cap space. Wonder if a Copp for Vanecek swap would garner any interest from both fan bases? Copp can play C/LW. Kills penalties. Can slot in on PP. He's an RFA right now but it's likely he signs at the right price. Turned down Lowry money with the Jets so not sure what his ask is. most of us figure he's looking for $4.5m with some decent term.
I don't know enough about Copp to be honest. I know he had a breakout season but his stats before that don't really look top-6 level to me. Since top-6 is such a big need for us, may hold-off to get a more proven top-6 forward.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know enough about Copp to be honest. I know he had a breakout season but his stats before that don't really look top-6 level to me. Since top-6 is such a big need for us, may hold-off to get a more proven top-6 forward.

Yeah that's fair. Vanecek likely wouldn't return much more than picks from most teams. I'd say Copp is probably more in that middle 6 area. You probably don't want him on your first line but he's good on the 2nd line and can hold down a 3rd line spot with ease. Jets need a capable backup to give Hellebuyck some relief. Seems like a pretty easy swap for both teams. Copp and Appleton have a lot of chemistry as well having played together on the same line for much of the last few seasons.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah that's fair. Vanecek likely wouldn't return much more than picks from most teams. I'd say Copp is probably more in that middle 6 area. You probably don't want him on your first line but he's good on the 2nd line and can hold down a 3rd line spot with ease. Jets need a capable backup to give Hellebuyck some relief. Seems like a pretty easy swap for both teams. Copp and Appleton have a lot of chemistry as well having played together on the same line for much of the last few seasons.
I agree that Vanecek on his own will not get a top-6 F back. We will need to look to package him with other assets to really get that back.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree that Vanecek on his own will not get a top-6 F back. We will need to look to package him with other assets to really get that back.

Yeah likely and if you're going after a top 6 C it will have to be some major assets. Trust me the Jets have been after a top 6 C for years and so far it's cost us two 1st round picks, two 4th round picks, Patrik Laine, Jack Roslovic, Erik Foley and Brenden Lemieux. And we still aren't entirely sure we have the answer in Dubois. Established top 6 C's are easily the most expensive piece on the trade market and they usually don't get dealt unless a team is forced to move them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah likely and if you're going after a top 6 C it will have to be some major assets. Trust me the Jets have been after a top 6 C for years and so far it's cost us two 1st round picks, two 4th round picks, Patrik Laine, Jack Roslovic, Erik Foley and Brenden Lemieux. And we still aren't entirely sure we have the answer in Dubois. Established top 6 C's are easily the most expensive piece on the trade market and they usually don't get dealt unless a team is forced to move them.
I think Dubois is solid and am confident that he will be a top-6 C.

Totally agree with how hard it is to get a top-6 C. But like others have said, it might be easier for us to go with getting another top-6 winger and letting some combination of Gourde, McCann, Wennberg, Appleton handle C duties in the top-9.

If things go as planned, we would have another top-9 C in Beniers next year (maybe even top-6 C). It is just going to take time to get those great/elite players.

Reactions: Daximus

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Vanecek and a left handed D (Dunn or Soucy) would be ideal to trade. Outside of Larsson ,Cale Fleury, and Borgen that's it on the roster for R D.
So the Kraken could use a RD as well as a better C/F. Giordano should be moveable at the trade deadline so that could influence moving a left D
soon. Anyway you look at it GMRF should move Vanecek for the best assets available whether draft pick or player. No question don't think Grubauer was on the Kraken radar and at least Ronnie did something. Now, lets see what else he does. It's a good thing having a goalie to move even though the league knows most likely the Kraken have to move one.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Without the benefit of foresight on further roster moves, who do you see as our captain and alternates next season from the current squad?

My picks:

C - Giordano
A - Eberle
A - Oleksiak
A - Schwartz

Gave consideration to Larsson too given he’s been an alternate before, but the Oleksiak contract led me to give him the nod over him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Without the benefit of foresight on further roster moves, who do you see as our captain and alternates next season from the current squad?

My picks:

C - Giordano
A - Eberle
A - Oleksiak
A - Schwartz

Gave consideration to Larsson too given he’s been an alternate before, but the Oleksiak contract led me to give him the nod over him.

Imo, their won't be a captain this season.

And even if their was, you don't give it to a guy that might not even be on the roster next season.

Reactions: wraparound

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Still need another Center. In particular one that can win a face off. There is a significant deficiency of anybody that can be relied on to win a draw. Geekie is the best hope there is on the team so far and has only taken 160 NHL draws, so beware small sample size and all that. Kreijci and Cizikas are among the few UFA centers decent on the dot left. I could see Francis signing a washed up vet center to be a sacrificial lamb on the top line (Eric Staal maybe?). Someone that knows the job even if they can't still do it at a "top line" level. Someone that can teach it, and model it, until another option on the team is ready to take it. It will be tough to fill the needed center slot through trade. Maybe you can find a team squeezed by the cap with some depth down the middle, but I doubt it comes easy, or cheap, or without the long term costs Francis has been trying to avoid so far. See what the Coyotes want for Dvorak? I don't know, trade market seems bleak.

I do think Francis should trade some LHD depth for RHD depth, then auction off an additional LHD (or 2) for picks after the dust has settled on free agency a bit and teams are still looking for help. I would check with Florida on Nutivaara and Gudas to see if they would move one straight up for a LHD on the Kraken. Free agent options are already pretty dry. Maybe Hakanpaa or Gudbranson? Need some sort of back up plan if Borgen or Cale Fleury aren't ready for regular NHL minutes. Likely to have one RD playing his offhand, should avoid having two.

After today it certainly looks more like an NHL team. Wennberg, Schwartz, and Grubauer are solid signings. I'm excited to see it evolve further.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Donskoi has played quite a bit of LW both with the Avs and the Sharks. Played some back home too.

Reactions: BeniersIsKraken
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille