Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah. TBL is using LTIR as cap circumvention again. Chicago gets a useful player and a 2nd round pick.

Its interesting to see the details though, TBL gets more cap space but at the end of the day. But the LTIR of Seabrook is 20M over 3 years which is more than what Johnson will actually be paid out.

This is legal teams have traded ltir retired contracts before.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah. TBL is using LTIR as cap circumvention again. Chicago gets a useful player and a 2nd round pick.

Its interesting to see the details though, TBL gets more cap space but at the end of the day. But the LTIR of Seabrook is 20M over 3 years which is more than what Johnson will actually be paid out.
NHL teams usually get insurance which winds up covering player injuries. I'm sure that's the trade, no small print.

Also, so much for weaponizing cap space, lol. Francis is gonna have to spend $10M in free agency.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
For those concerned about us getting Johnson from TBL, worry no more:

Can’t hit like enough times. Dude is overpaid. He’s a fine hockey player, but dayum! That cap hit is not good for what he does. I know some people are swayed by “a northwest guy”. Look, I’m a 7th generation Washingtonian. My family has been here longer than most white settlers, but taking a guy because he’s “from here” is never a good idea unless he’s worth what he’s paid and Tyler Johnson is not.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is legal teams have traded ltir retired contracts before.
NHL teams usually get insurance which winds up covering player injuries. I'm sure that's the trade, no small print.

Also, so much for weaponizing cap space, lol. Francis is gonna have to spend $10M in free agency.

Did not mean to imply it is illegal. Just that it is basically beating the system ... legally.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by the bolded @Gniwder. We were always going to spend more than 10M.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Did not mean to imply it is illegal. Just that it is basically beating the system ... legally.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by the bolded @Gniwder. We were always going to spend more than 10M.
Everyone was talking about taking a cap dump like TJ for additional assets. Now we're looking at straight up bidding for UFAs which is always an overpayment with 4+ year commitment.

I'd really would have preferred Tarasenko for 2 years.

We'll see how well Francis negotiates. Lots of teams still under the floor.

Reactions: derriko

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Can’t hit like enough times. Dude is overpaid. He’s a fine hockey player, but dayum! That cap hit is not good for what he does. I know some people are swayed by “a northwest guy”. Look, I’m a 7th generation Washingtonian. My family has been here longer than most white settlers, but taking a guy because he’s “from here” is never a good idea unless he’s worth what he’s paid and Tyler Johnson is not.
Everyone wanted TJ plus additional assets. Second round pick isn't enough for me to justify it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

apparently starting tomorrow 8y contract offers by existing clubs doesn't extend into the FA market. So landy for example can only get 7y from colorado. Didn't realize that.

Reactions: BeniersIsKraken

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Everyone wanted TJ plus additional assets. Second round pick isn't enough for me to justify it.

Important to note that Chicago no longer needs to use the LTIR on Seabrook and saved themselves 2mil in the process. So for them, it's more than just a 2nd round pick justifying the move.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Will be interesting to see which direction we go in to eventually maximize our cap space.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Everyone was talking about taking a cap dump like TJ for additional assets. Now we're looking at straight up bidding for UFAs which is always an overpayment with 4+ year commitment.

I'd really would have preferred Tarasenko for 2 years.

We'll see how well Francis negotiates. Lots of teams still under the floor.

It will be interesting to see for sure. I think an overpayment was always on the cards for us. Not many good players would want to come to an expansion team. I am honestly less concerned about AAV's and more about term. Preferably the big $ deals we hand out have no more than 5 years of term.

Reactions: BeniersIsKraken

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
It will be interesting to see for sure. I think an overpayment was always on the cards for us. Not many good players would want to come to an expansion team. I am honestly less concerned about AAV's and more about term. Preferably the big $ deals we hand out have no more than 5 years of term.

The thing that kills me is reading about all the players who fans believe we should have taken over who we did. There's still time to exploit those teams we already took players from that are still looking to shed salary - there were some odd choices for sure but we ended up accumulating assets in the process and taking players we likely wouldn't have been able to get outside of the expansion draft.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

This Cap Circumvention makes the NHL look like a "bush" league

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
This Cap Circumvention makes the NHL look like a "bush" league

Ya the NHL CBA is a joke and the fact that they haven’t put in stricter rules around contract length is absurd imo. It’s what led to the first lockout and why a second one always feels like it’s just around the corner.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
They get LTIRelief which they will use to exceed the salary cap just like last season. They have mastered the art of legal cap circumvention.

I’m well aware of how LTIR works. Seabrook’s LTIR status didn’t exempt him from the cap is all I’m saying. Off-season moves and flexibility are greatly diminished by having LTIR players on your team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I get this weird feeling that Francis is gonna miss out on all of the big names and the first line is going to be:

Ryan-Getzalf-Perry

lol.

You actually think Landy was gonna walk. I had him staying the entire time. We had our chance to convince him to com here and we didn't want to basically do at least 8x8 to even attempt to convince him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad