Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Terrible to read and hear about Byram, but I think this is the best course of action. Just let him chill for a month or two without the desire or feeling that he "needs" to help the team by playing tomorrow or the next game. How he can help our team is recovering fully and becoming a 8 million dollar defender.

His maintenance days are ice baths in the fountain of youth.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One of the reasons NAK is getting the promotion is because he's playing well, first and foremost, but also, I think Bednar is struggling to find a spot/role for JTC. He's really struggling since coming back, clutch goal against the Leafs notwithstanding. This is as much about using LOC in that third line role as much as putting NAK up in the top six.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
When I heard he was missing the Nashville game I was concerned he was missing the game because of the Preds yellow uniforms. Those uniforms can set off concussion symptoms just like bright lights or sunshine. The good news is that it can get better and a example of that is David Perron. I suggest Byram reach out to Perron as a sounding board. Get the pressure to return off his back and let time off help him recover.

Reactions: 5280

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I had a bad dream that Bo announced his retirement in the offseason and Bednar was crying at the presser.
Seems unrealistic.

Bednar never shows emotion.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Lemonlimey

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I guess, I saw it coming but it still makes me both sad and angry at the same time. Just difficult to still feel the old love for the league. Get better soon, Bo!

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Terrible to read and hear about Byram, but I think this is the best course of action. Just let him chill for a month or two without the desire or feeling that he "needs" to help the team by playing tomorrow or the next game. How he can help our team is recovering fully and becoming a 8 million dollar defender.

His maintenance days are ice baths in the fountain of youth poop.

FIFY

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Everyone jokes about how much punishment Jost takes without getting injured. Imagine what his body feels like after every game. He's probably covered in bruises from head to toe constantly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Crosby's neck injury was just one of his "concussions." He's had multiple concussions during his career and still plays at a high level.

Roman Josi is another example. In 2017 he told a Swiss newspaper he's had 7 concussions during his career. He's also had "upper body" injuries that have come from head shots since then.

Concussions aren't the career ender they used to be because they don't just throw guys back out on the ice to take more trauma with an injured brain after "getting their bell rung" anymore.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The problem is everyone reacts to concussions differently. What Crosby, or Landy, or EJ, or Hishon, etc, etc. experienced is probably not the same as what Bo has experienced. We also know that he's had 3 documented concussions (the fight, the hit, and the elbow) in a little over a year. That's a lot.

Reactions: jabubenice

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Crosby's neck injury was just one of his "concussions." He's had multiple concussions during his career and still plays at a high level.

Roman Josi is another example. In 2017 he told a Swiss newspaper he's had 7 concussions during his career. He's also had "upper body" injuries that have come from head shots since then.

Concussions aren't the career ender they used to be because they don't just throw guys back out on the ice to take more trauma with an injured brain after "getting their bell rung" anymore.

Protocol has come a long way. Gary Bettman alas, has not. The NHL still needs to recognize the link between the long term mental effects some of its players are affected by and the repeated head trauma that took place over their careers in their respective workplaces.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
People keep talking as if this is some kind of post-concussion syndrome issue for Byram. It certainly seems that this may be more of a mental health issue than anything. Perhaps the origins of his current issues arose from concussions, but this may be a different situation now.

With mental health issues, you just hope he can recover, or at least reach a better place. From a team perspective hoping for a player to regain health, concussion related symptoms may be preferable over mental health issues. With mental health, all bets are off. Maybe he does not come back. I don't want to be dire, but it is difficult to predict.

Reactions: Avs91 and Metallo

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
People keep talking as if this is some kind of post-concussion syndrome issue for Byram. It certainly seems that this may be more of a mental health issue than anything. Perhaps the origins of his current issues arose from concussions, but this may be a different situation now.

With mental health issues, you just hope he can recover, or at least reach a better place. From a team perspective hoping for a player to regain health, concussion related symptoms may be preferable over mental health issues. With mental health, all bets are off. Maybe he does not come back. I don't want to be dire, but it is difficult to predict.

It IS a post-concussion issue. It's also a mental health issue. It can be both things.

If you read the piece Baugh did for The Athletic, he was unable to play due to PCS (and the resulting symptoms left him unable to do much of anything at all), and it left him distraught. That's when his family took him camping and he was allowed to recharge, get away from the game for a bit. Unfortunately that's warranted now as well.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Could be the whole "hearing footsteps" thing too. After any major injury your body and brain want to protect themselves more. With the severity of Bo's symptoms I could see this being a real issue. As a hockey player used to heavy contact that would be a very strange feeling. Whatever happens I just hope Bo can get better and live a good life. More hockey would be great but health is more important.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It IS a post-concussion issue. It's also a mental health issue. It can be both things.

If you read the piece Baugh did for The Athletic, he was unable to play due to PCS (and the resulting symptoms left him unable to do much of anything at all), and it left him distraught. That's when his family took him camping and he was allowed to recharge, get away from the game for a bit. Unfortunately that's warranted now as well.

This. PCS includes mental health issues like depression.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Sounds like Byram is still in Denver and around the team, I think the main board thread is a bit dramatic.

He seems like he loves being part of the team, so having that support may be the best thing for him mentally. He may still be getting some headache/dizziness symptoms, possibly some auditory/visual irritability feeding into that as well. These things take time and they are different for everyone.

I had concussions that I recovered from in a couple of weeks. I had post-concussion that took me out for a year when I was 20. Again, all over the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad