Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yup. My friend Ronnie suffered with PCS which led to depression and heavy drinking and when the lockdowns happened a few years ago it was too much for him and he left.

Man that's rough, sorry to hear that. Thankfully it didn't get to that level, but I have a family member that also suffered from PCS and wrote a suicide note. Their partner walked in when they were writing it and confronted them so it didn't escalate any further, but it's hard to think what would've happened if not. They're a lot better now, but it's scary stuff.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm surprised some guys are still alive after some of the hits they took in the 90s/00s

Remember the glazed over look on RJ Umberger after the Brian Campbell hit, or Paul Kariya after the Scott Stevens hit? Hope they're doing ok

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I'm surprised some guys are still alive after some of the hits they took in the 90s/00s

Remember the glazed over look on RJ Umberger after the Brian Campbell hit, or Paul Kariya after the Scott Stevens hit? Hope they're doing ok

Take your pick with the Lindros brothers

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought I would post this so some might get a feel for what Byram is going through. Generally these symptoms taper off with time, for some more time than others.
SYMPTOMS

• Headache or “pressure” in head.
  • Nausea or vomiting.
  • Balance problems or dizziness, or double or blurry vision.
  • Bothered by light or noise.
  • Feeling sluggish, hazy, foggy, or groggy.
  • Confusion, or concentration or memory problems.
  • Just not “feeling right,” or “feeling down”.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Protocol has come a long way. Gary Bettman alas, has not. The NHL still needs to recognize the link between the long term mental effects some of its players are affected by and the repeated head trauma that took place over their careers in their respective workplaces.

I'm certainly no Bettman fan, and I think the DoPS is just for PR not injury prevention, but realistically there's only so much they can do to cut down on concussions. Especially with the speed of the game now.

Unless they eliminate all hitting, there's going to be concussions. It's just part of the risk that comes with being paid millions of dollars to play the game of hockey. Most guys think the juice is worth the squeeze.

If you're saying they should take better care of players post career, especially ones that have long term mental effects, I totally agree, but I bet they don't because of liability reasons. If they admit the link they would probably open themselves up to litigation.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm certainly no Bettman fan, and I think the DoPS is just for PR not injury prevention, but realistically there's only so much they can do to cut down on concussions. Especially with the speed of the game now.

Unless they eliminate all hitting, there's going to be concussions. It's just part of the risk that comes with being paid millions of dollars to play the game of hockey. Most guys think the juice is worth the squeeze.

If you're saying they should take better care of players post career, especially ones that have long term mental effects, I totally agree, but I bet they don't because of liability reasons. If they admit the link they would probably open themselves up to litigation.

The NHL can easily cut down on concussions if they wanted to - come down hard on offenders. Clear headshot because of a predatory/reckless hit? Minimum 10 game suspension, no exceptions. Repeat offender? Out for 20+ games or when the players comes back, whatever is longer. Basically dissuade the player from making the hit unless they know it's going to be 100% clean.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The NHL can easily cut down on concussions if they wanted to - come down hard on offenders. Clear headshot because of a predatory/reckless hit? Minimum 10 game suspension, no exceptions. Repeat offender? Out for 20+ games or when the players comes back, whatever is longer. Basically dissuade the player from making the hit unless they know it's going to be 100% clean.

I think we can agree with this for truly reckless hits, although I don't believe they can legally justify or enforce a rule where a player is suspended until the other guy returns. Imagine if you were the guy who hit someone whose last concussion convinced him it was time to retire, but he stuck around for years on the team's cap. Is the guy who hit him really going to be suspended for years? I do think stronger fines work too, players like MacDick who really don't matter much can take suspensions for the good of team but make him pay personally a lot and it might impact some of their motive.

And let's be honest here, some of it is just akin to luck. Bo and some other guys don't handle the big hits well, nothing they can do about it while little Sammy G seems to just play through it. We can try to get it out of the game, but its a contact sport with hitting going on. I think you can make a point to try to lessen the punishing "finishing checks" because those seem unnecessary, but its probably more about DOPS doing something about it with fines.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think we can agree with this for truly reckless hits, although I don't believe they can legally justify or enforce a rule where a player is suspended until the other guy returns. Imagine if you were the guy who hit someone whose last concussion convinced him it was time to retire, but he stuck around for years on the team's cap. Is the guy who hit him really going to be suspended for years? I do think stronger fines work too, players like MacDick who really don't matter much can take suspensions for the good of team but make him pay personally a lot and it might impact some of their motive.

And let's be honest here, some of it is just akin to luck. Bo and some other guys don't handle the big hits well, nothing they can do about it while little Sammy G seems to just play through it. We can try to get it out of the game, but its a contact sport with hitting going on. I think you can make a point to try to lessen the punishing "finishing checks" because those seem unnecessary, but its probably more about DOPS doing something about it with fines.

I'm talking about clear headshots. Other stuff would have to be ironed out like incidental head contact and length if a player goes on LTIR, but the point is that the system is a joke right now. It shouldn't matter if a player handles a big hit well - if it's a legal hit and a concussion happens, then there's no supplemental discipline. But if it's an illegal hit to the head there's a severe penalty that goes with it.

Reactions: katfude

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

They could do a lot better with their supplemental discipline, I agree. I don't believe it's there for injury prevention, I believe it's there for PR to show they're "trying" to prevent concussions, so no one can say they're not doing anything in a concusssion lawsuit.

I was just saying that I don't think you can eliminate all concussions without eliminating hitting. They're going to happen unfortunately in hockey. Especially with the speed of the game now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yup. My friend Ronnie suffered with PCS which led to depression and heavy drinking and when the lockdowns happened a few years ago it was too much for him and he left.

Damn man, so sorry to hear that. PCS is a real issue and it doesn't make the trials and tribulations of life any easier. And many of the athletes and fighters that have entertained us over the years have gone through it. That's why I'm so happy they take it more seriously now.

It seems even tougher when you see a young kid who is such a bright light in this world like Bo, who lights up every room he's in and makes everyone laugh, be in such a dark place.

Really hope he can get through these struggles early in his career, and maintain that cheerful attitude, and continue to play aggressively on his toes with no fear, where he's at his best.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017

COVID + in the last 90 days:
Nichushkin
MacDermid
Kadri
O’Connor
Rantanen
Francouz
Helm
Toews
Makar
Kuemper
Compher
Burakovsky
Landeskog

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

This works in a vacuum. But in a real game, going really fast, it is hard to avoid. All the subjective criteria will come up constantly: What is meant by intent? What is meant by legitimate hockey move? What culpability does the offender have if the recipient moves his head into the shoulder. I remain one of those who feel that Kadri's suspension last year was due to reputation, not the precise action. Kadri was not headhunting. it was a legitimate hockey play. But he was an inch higher than he likely wanted, and the guy rotated his shoulders into the hit. To safely avoid any head shot, a player needs to avoid checking with anything other than their butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad